Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

HH Visa versus HH Amex - pros & cons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HH Visa versus HH Amex - pros & cons?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2000, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Hilton Visa AND AmEx advantages??

for those that had a Hilton Amex, then applied and received a Hilton Visa, did you get a 7500 point bonus for the Visa??? did you also get Silver VIP status, if you had taken out the Amex before and had since lapsed back to being a standard member??

thanks
Old Feb 24, 2001, 8:08 am

HHonors Amex and HHonors Visa 7500 bonus points

I had the HHonors AMEX card last year.

Signup - get 2500, 1st purchase get 5000 Hhonors points.

I had that for a while and then cancelled it.

I then signed up for the HHonors Visa card.

Same thing.

Signup - get 2500, 1st purchase get 5000 Hhonors points.

I haven't seen the Visa points hit my account, and I paid my first statement in Feb.

Do you think I should just be patient?

Did anyone else do this and get points from both the Hhonors AMEX and Hhonors VISA???
Old Feb 24, 2001, 4:03 pm
Suspended

I think you should request the miles and cancel Visa and get the Hilton Platinum AMEX - 7,500 point first purchase and 2,500 bonus after the first $2,500 you spend. 3 points per 1$ and 5 at HHonors hotels.

I don't see a code on the application but it came with the last Hilton statement.
Old Feb 24, 2001, 6:32 pm

Luddgang:

You will probably have to contact Hilton HHonors customer service. I called Citibank and they were useless.

Once I contacted Kristy Hall with Hilton, she squared the problem away like she always does.

For some reason, the points were credited to my account right after my first use and then taken away. I sent Kristy a copy of my bill and she added the 7,500 points.

I'm just thankful that Hilton has such great customer service. If it wasn't for them, AMEX and Citibank would have horned me out of about 15,000 points so far. It's really a darned shame that Hilton has to make up for the shortcomings of the credit card companies with their great customer service...

Falcon56
Old Oct 10, 2001, 1:52 pm

Hilton AMEX or Visa - Which one to use??

I have a Europe business trip coming up and will be staying in a Hilton property. I'd appreciate if anyone can tell the best deal / promo going around.

should I use my Hilton AMEX or Hilton Visa to pay.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 2:07 pm

From the HHonors site:
Between September 1 and November 15, 2001, have just one Double Dip stay at any HHonors hotel and you'll earn double miles for every additional Double Dip stay during these dates! Plus, for each of these additional stays, you'll earn 1,000 HHonors bonus points when you pay with your Visa® card.

Or, for ALL the details
https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/sept_novpromo/
Old Oct 10, 2001, 2:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deliad:
should I use my Hilton AMEX or Hilton Visa to pay.</font>
deliad -- The answer to your question depends on the amount to be charged.

Using Hilton AmEx at a Hilton property earns you 5 points per $ spent, using Hilton Visa earns you 3 points per $ spent, so the difference is 2 points per $ spent. Current promotion stipulates for extra 1,000 bonus points if you pay with Visa, provided that you've already stayed at a Hilton property at least once since September 1. Thus, if you charge less than $500 for your stay, it's better to use Hilton Visa, and if you charge more than $500, it's better to pay with Hilton AmEx.

Keep in mind that the other part of the current promo, stipulating for double airlines miles, does not depend on the form of payment.

Old Oct 10, 2001, 3:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
deliad -- The answer to your question depends on the amount to be charged.

Using Hilton AmEx at a Hilton property earns you 5 points per $ spent, using Hilton Visa earns you 3 points per $ spent, so the difference is 2 points per $ spent. Current promotion stipulates for extra 1,000 bonus points if you pay with Visa, provided that you've already stayed at a Hilton property at least once since September 1. Thus, if you charge less than $500 for your stay, it's better to use Hilton Visa, and if you charge more than $500, it's better to pay with Hilton AmEx.

Keep in mind that the other part of the current promo, stipulating for double airlines miles, does not depend on the form of payment.

</font>
Definitely go with Hilton HHonors Visa Signature card. The benefits of it is better than Hilton AMEX !!
There is 10000 sign-up bonus points and you can earn 3 bonus points per dollar spent and 5 bonus points per dollar spent at Hilton Properties.

Below is from the terms of Hilton HHonors Visa Signature card application.

"You'll earn 'three' Hhonors bonus points for evey eligible dollar you charge to the card(that's purchase less purchase returns). And you'll earn 'five' bonus points per dollar when you use the card to pay for stays at Hilton HHonors hotel - that's in addition to the HHonor points you normally earn for your stays."

The application phone number is 1-800-445-9842

I got this offer in the mail and the deal is good !

[This message has been edited by VinceLee (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old Oct 10, 2001, 3:41 pm

VinceLee -- That Visa Signature deal sounds pretty good (although equal, not better than Hilton AmEx in terms of earning points). I believe this is the first time existence of such a card is reported on this Board. Would you please elaborate whether it was a targeted offer, what bank issues it (I assume, Citibank USA), is there an annual fee, etc.?
Old Oct 10, 2001, 5:28 pm

Signature Hhonors Visa?
Can someone confirm this? I think everyone is aware of the Platinum Visa by Citibank that offers a 10,000 point bonus and a 2/3 earning structure.
This is the first I've heard of a 3/5 earning SIGNATURE VISA...
Old Oct 10, 2001, 5:46 pm

Thanks folks.. Looks like AMEX would be a better bet since I'll be staying for a week.

I am also intrigued and interested by this new Signature card. Never heard of this before.. Lets see when the details come in

Thanx
Old Oct 11, 2001, 3:38 am

I just picked up the mail out of the trash can and scanned it for you guys.

It's a product of CitiBank and there is no annual fee. I don't know it's a targeted offer or not, but the terms said the offer is only valid for new accounts. The card is called Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card. The application phone number is 1-800-445-9842.

I never had CitiBank credit cards before and I was surprised they mailed me such a good offer.

Below are the scanned files.

General info:
http://www.powerlaptop.com/hhonors/HiltonSVisa.jpg

Terms:
http://www.powerlaptop.com/hhonors/HiltonSTerm.jpg

[This message has been edited by VinceLee (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old Oct 11, 2001, 3:42 am
mypriceline.com

Seems like sort of an Amex card.

Old Oct 11, 2001, 5:56 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Drat, just within the past few weeks I signed up for the other HHilton Visa...sigh...

I want to write that the 10,000 point bonus being offered with the card that I got was showing in my online account statement even before I paid the first bill -- very impressive
Old Oct 11, 2001, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
SharonLPK you could probably call Citibank and ask to be converted from your current Hilton Citi Visa to the new Hilton Citi Signature Visa.

You probably won't get the 10,000 bonus points but you would get the higher earning levels for your new purchases.

------------------
I Love New York

[This message has been edited by Redhead (edited 10-11-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.