Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Inn at the Colonnade Baltimore - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-MD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inn at the Colonnade Baltimore - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-MD}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Arrow Inn at the Colonnade Baltimore - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-MD}

The restaurant at the Inn at the Colonnade (a Doubletree) in Baltimore has changed hands and is now the W instead of the Polo Grill.

Gold benefits used to be a voucher for breakfast which gave you a choice of 3 hot cooked-to-order breakfasts (excellent). Right now, you only have a choice of a (very mediocre) buffet continental breakfast with no possibility of applying the credit for something else.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
That's a real shame. The Polo Grill was one of the better restaurants in Baltimore. I went there a lot, and it was a nice place to grab breakfast -- better than at most hotels. Sad to see it go.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:14 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
What a shame. This place really takes care of Diamonds. The breakfast was only the cherry on th etop of a great sundae. Shame ot see that they've scaled it back.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
The current owner of W is the son of the previous Polo Grill owner. Many people in Baltimore do not understand why they changed it. I think it will hurt them in general and based on what you are saying it will upset Hilton business travelers. I think the son wants to turn it into a hip place to eat when the old Polo Grill was a consistently good bet popular with business people.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 5:24 am

Any updates on this hotel, especially treatment of Diamonds/Golds, Breakfast and the shuttle? I will likely stay here in December. Hopefully, the downward trend does not continue. If I stay, I'll post an update.

Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2003, 9:11 pm

Did anyone stay recently? Trip Advisor has a couple of recent reviews about bad service and curtins hanging by clothes pins. I am staying in Dec. I was hoping someone can reassure me.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:28 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Inn at The Colonnade Trip Reports and Reviews

I just had my first (and last) stay at the DT Inn at the Colonnade in Baltimore.

The lobby area is quite impressive with modern decor using lots of wood. My room (#300) was large with a jacuzzi, balcony and large bath (including a bidet). The fixtures were dated and need to be replaced in the near future. One of the lamp shades was torn and another had a burned out bulb.

No bottled water in the room.

No desk or work space in the room.

No DT cookies at this hotel.

Surprise!! Incoming faxes cost $1/page.

As previously mentioned, the breakfast voucher is for a VERY LAME continental breakfast and can not be used for credit against menu orders. (This is the first time I've experienced this.)

In addition, the menu states (at the top) that For your convenience, a 17% gratuity has been added to the bill.

Cab fare from BWI was $32 (pre-tip).
Cab fare to downtown and the inner harbor was $10 (pre-tip).

I guess that downtown Baltimore is like Detroit (i.e. little or no presence of Hilton properties).

Even though I have no status with *wood, next time in Baltimore I'll stay at the Sheraton Inner Harbor or Renaissance.

[This message has been edited by Billiken (edited Feb 13, 2004).]
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:47 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I used to live in Baltimore and we went to the Polo Grill often, usually for the fried lobster tail which is sublime. Wonder if W will keep the lobster tail; it was one of their signature dishes. Oprah would return to Baltimore to get it.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:42 pm

It's such a shame to hear this about the Colonnade and the Polo Grill (or former Polo Grill). This was such a great place. Right across the street from Johns Hopkins, so a convenient place to stay when I go back to visit. But it's sad to hear they've let it go -- it's funny, I heard about five years ago, when it was simply "The Inn at the Colonnade" that it had serious service problems. Then DT came in and took over, and things seemed to be better. Guess that didn't last long.

The Polo Grill was one of my favorite places in Baltimore.

Cab ride to BWI is always a problem. The fare to the Inner Harbor seems high. It should have been no more than $7 from up there. Oh well ... yearning for the good old days already.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I stayed in early last December. Same status as the initial report of August 2003 re: breakfast.

At least Billiken got a half-decent upgrade. never got anything as good in 3 stays.

There is/was still a shuttle to the inner harbour area.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:48 pm

Same results for me one month ago.

My wife and I were in one room and my business partner in a second room (my wife and I are diamond mutual account members). I paid for both rooms on our mutual account. They would only give us only 2 breakfast coupons for the three of us "they are only for the VIP members" even though this VIP member was paying for both rooms.

They did upgrade both rooms to mini-suites.

I agree that the continential breakfast was very basic. Some cereal, fruit and begals nothing else.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:47 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
DT Colonnade Baltimore-Breakfast for Diamond?

I don't recall there being an exec lounge. Is there any breakfast benefit for diamonds? Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:39 am

Back a few years there certainly was, but that was before the restaurant switched from the Polo Grill. (You can tell it's been a little while since I've been there.) I've got a stay coming up in May, but that may be too late to find out for you. (Not being Diamond, I would simply ask.) I imagine, however, that since they've still got a restaurant, they'll give you breakfast.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At least a year or year + 1/3 ago, breakfast was given to golds. Since the restaurant changed from the Polo Grill to the W (IIRC), the breakfast is just a rather-uninspired continental with no option for trade up to a hot breakfast.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by terenz
At least a year or year + 1/3 ago, breakfast was given to golds. Since the restaurant changed from the Polo Grill to the W (IIRC), the breakfast is just a rather-uninspired continental with no option for trade up to a hot breakfast.
Correct, no Executive Lounge.
As of Aug '04 they still have the same rather-uninspired continental with no option to upgrade to full (hot) breakfast. Even if you ask very nicely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.