Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parmelia Hilton Perth {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: VS Gold, QPPS, CX, DJ, SG, AA, NH
Well I'm hoping to add some more recent reports to this thread, as it looks like its been a bit sparse on updates.

Planning to do a couple of mattress runs to get my HH Silver fastrack qualification & score some extra points during the 2010 Q3 promo. Will report back on latest on this property in due course.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Speaking of the Parmelia, lastminute.com.au often has rates considerably cheaper than the Hilton website, sometimes up to AUD80. I'm not game to book one and try the best rate guarantee, though, as I've heard it's very difficult to get anywhere with Hilton.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Am living in this hotel on and off

Good points:
  • Staff all falling over themselves to be helpful
  • As HH gold, generally get a room upgrade in addition to my free-internet choice. In fact they usually give me my preference, room 1025, a large boudoir with a chandelier
  • Splendid breakfast, and the "Globe" restaurant now roomier
  • Steakhouse downstairs, great food/drinks
  • Each time I put some comments in the survey, I get a reasoned point-by-point answer from the manager (Ruth Harrison)

Bad points
  • The rooms are reasonable and well cared for within the limitations of a rather old building. But like so many Hiltons, a lot of rooms have those horrible wafer-thin connecting doors so you can hear every whisper in the adjoining room. Ruth's answer - we'll give you a room that doesn't have them. [OT - how to enter in one's HH profile "PLEASE NO ROOMS WITH CONNECTING DOORS"?]
  • In some of the rooms, the heating wasn't performing well during Perth's recent exceptional cold snap. Ruth's answer, very sorry will move you to a warmer room - which was fine
  • Ridiculous daily internet charge (~$30), need to use up your reward-choice on the free internet. Ruth's answer (paraphrased): most other Oz hotels also gouge you on internet.

By and large, I'd still recommend the Hilton as the #1 hotel in Perth - at the busier Western end of town, anyway. The Sheraton is priced higher, but isn't any better IMO; the Hyatt is very nice but has become a little isolated at the other end of the Terrace since Woodside moved. Haven't tried the Duxton, the former tax-office, but your dreams may be interrupted by the screams of the ghosts of bygone taxpayers. The Novotel has gone downhill and is renting rooms by the hour to "air-hostesses with late flights" with cleaners working noisily during the night shift to get the rooms ready for the next customer. Whereas the Mercure is improvig: a new wing which is very nicely fitted out - this is my other choice in Perth, even found they've put real espresso machines in the rooms this week.

Last edited by harryhv; Jul 16, 2010 at 4:23 am
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Thanks for the info, harryhv. I'll definitely ask for a non-connecting room when I'm at the hotel for 3 nights in August.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by harryhv
By and large, I'd still recommend the Hilton as the #1 hotel in Perth - at the busier Western end of town, anyway. The Sheraton is priced higher, but isn't any better IMO
Hilton the best hotel in Perth ? I hope you are joking

The new executive wing at the Sheraton Perth is as nice as any newly built Sheraton or Westin anywhere in the world; while the Hilton Perth does not appear to have been renovated since 2 or 3 decades ago (except perhaps the bathrooms). Perth CBD is not that big, if money is of no concern I would definitely choose the Sheraton eventhough its bordering East Perth.

Even in the CBD proper, I found the Rydges to be better then the Hilton.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:40 am

Some updates on the Parmelia Hilton where I seem to be staying almost every week.

New general manager, coincides with a startling fall-off in service but it's possible many of the suddenly-incompetent staff are actually spooks in disguise, setting up to protect the crowned heads and their entourages ahead of this weekend's Commonwealth heads-of-state meeting.

The hotel is always jam-packed week-nights but if you want to stay on a weekend night don't book it through the Hilton site, you can save about 70% on Wotif.com where it's around $120/night - it's at the very top of the list, the secret hotel with five dots. Book 1-2 weeks ahead.

And as to what's the best hotel in Perth, the Sheraton is no more - renamed the Pacific something and gone downmarket. But the Hyatt and the Duxton have 5-genuine-stars and seem to be favoured by the heads of state.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:58 am
Suspended

And as to what's the best hotel in Perth, the Sheraton is no more - renamed the Pacific something and gone downmarket. But the Hyatt and the Duxton have 5-genuine-stars and seem to be favoured by the heads of state.
The Sheraton has been rebranded as the Pan Pacific. And IMO its still the best major hotel in town.

Choice of hotels for Head of States is not determined by the number of 'genuine stars' but security consideration. The Pan Pac is now surrounded by high-rises and it would be a security nightmare to house a high profile Head of State there.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Given the property has no Executive Lounge, do Diamond members receive a full breakfast? What type of room upgrade can be expected?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:52 am

Full breakfast in the restaurant, and it's a colossal spread.

There will be a room upgrade, maybe double upgrade if it's a weekend.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Great. Thank you.

I'm looking at Christmas Eve where the AP rate is $124. Book for two people, deduct the Hilton Macquarie discount and pay for one extra breakfast (less the 20%) and invite the olds for a buffet on Christmas Day.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:06 am

Yes they're very friendly, happy to talk to you aheaed of time about upgrade and room preference. When someone came with me to breakfast once, they just waved me away when I tried to pay.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

+1 on the breakfast. But the upgrade may be just to a king from a double with a cheaper rate.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: AA P, QFPM, EYG, HH D, PC PA
Always received upgrade and great full buffet breakfast - in fact have had suite upgrades here on quiet weekends.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Stayed here again for a week in November. On the plus side:
  • Wired internet signal is good (though ridiculously priced at $29 per day)
  • Central location for CBD offices
  • Management is nice
  • Room service food above-average
  • Refrig in every room
  • Front desk staff very pleasant and generally responsive
  • Food at Globe restaurant and room service is excellent

Minus Side
  • Hopefully you have a quiet neighbor because connecting doors are paper thin.
  • Have yet to find my room ready for checkin even at 1-2pm.
  • Crappy thin plastic shower curtains unworthy of this room rate.
  • Globe is very overpriced (like most places in Perth)

+1 on the breakfast. But the upgrade may be just to a king from a double with a cheaper rate.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 6, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: Various
I stayed here in 2009. I was Diamond level at the time, and was upgraded to some ridiculously large suite, with at least two of everything. When the 'doorbell' rang, I had no idea which door to open when my amenity arrived. The furniture and fixtures were really well kept, but seemed to be early 80's made Louis XVI styled or something. The staff....especially the Bellman, were above and beyond helpful.

The Globe restaurant was excellent. I had a hamburger with beetroot and it was nearly sublime. I brought a menu home with me...many local and fresh items, including some items foreign to a non-Aussie such as Yabbi Ravioli and Barramundi. Pricing reflective of 4-5 star (20-50 AUD for Mains). I can't remember the Breakfast, but it was good quality.

The location is CBD, but it's a 15 minute walk to the shopping and non bank/financial/commercial area, and somewhat indirect through a few odd streets. Public transit/one way streets made navigating interesting.

The Perth coastline reminded me of San Diego, though not far inland, it's more like Phoenix. Great place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.