Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parmelia Hilton Perth {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:24 am
cjd

Originally Posted by kawoh
Stayed in Perth about 8 weeks ago, spent most of the time at the Hyatt (awesome hotel) as compared to the Hilton. Tho the hilton is in a better location.

I found the staff, service, all round quality of the property below par. Everything about them was either about cutting corners or trying to squeeze as much as they could out of you.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I had read very mixed reports about this hotel and was a bit uncertain about booking it. My expectations were pretty low but in our case they were were exceeded and we were well treated. Upon arrival without any prompting, the receptionist told us that as Diamond we had been upgraded, which was a good start. We got a huge room with partial river view, which was an extra plus. They didn't have to give any extras, but a bottle of wine and bowl of fruit were also in the room. Staff in the restaurant were very friendly, especially the waitresses from Glasgow and Budapest who were most very chatty. Each morning, they also kept asking if we needed any more food from the buffet before it was closing. Concierge also gave us useful tips on tours and boat/train/bus times and was most helpful. When I asked for a late check-out from the standard 11am time(which all our 3 Australian Hiltons had), it was no problem getting a 3pm check-out time and this gave us an extra few hours in Perth, which my wife put to good use at the Harbourside shopping mall!

I agree that the Melbourne Airport Hilton is much better, but it is a very new property. However at that hotel, we thought the breakfast restaurant service was very poor and we were treated very badly. A waitress put us at one table and a few minutes later a waiter came along and started complaining about us sitting at that table and then a small argument between the staff - not a vary good start to breakfast. Wanted to have a swim in the morning but the pool was closed for some reason, so although we got a nice upgrade there, the overall experience was disappointing.

I've said it before that it all boils down to individual's experiences at the time. I've had bad stays in several hiltons including the UK and US and then read great reports by other FT members. Overall, I'm not raving about the hotel but we enjoyed our stay at the Parmelia Hilton in Perth, which just goes to show how people's opinions can differ. I think that the customer service that one experiences at the time and staff attitudes can make a big difference to a stay and we were lucky.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kawoh
I found the staff, service, all round quality of the property below par. Everything about them was either about cutting corners or trying to squeeze as much as they could out of you.
[ ... ]
walls are paper thin. tv is old, bathroom needs updating. beds and comfort in bed have a lot to be desired. Really big drop after the quality of the hyatt in perth.
I have to agree with all of the that. The Sheraton Perth, while being unimpressive in some ways and having smallish rooms, has vastly better staff.

As someone who now has no status with Starwood but Gold with Hilton, I'd stay at the Sheraton. They treat nobodies better than the Parmelia treats elites.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:08 pm

I thought I would update this thread with my recent experiences there.

As a Gold, was upgraded to a mini Queen suite on the top floor. (I believe the only reason I got the top floor was because my booking was still showing Silver, so when I turned up as a Gold, they had to find me a upgraded room to put me into. As a normal Gold, I probably should have been upgraded to a mid level room).
Room was decently sized, but nothing special. Nothing special about the view either - the room I had, was fairly well blocked in by the other buildings around. The door to the balcony was very hard to open and re-lock.

No other benefits provided. Would have been nice to have had complimentary bottles of water in the room, but they were not provided.

No Executive Lounge. Would have also have been nice to have been provided breakfast instead or some drink vouchers, but that didn't happen either.

Hotel is getting very dated, and it shows. I think there are much better hotels in Perth than the Hilton. I don't think I'll be staying there again by choice.

I have been told by others that the hotel treats repeat visitors a lot better.

So basically I see the hotel as sticking to the bare minimum they have to do for a Gold. Diamonds may fare better. The location is good. Maybe they should knock it down and rebuild it completely
Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I have been told by others that the hotel treats repeat visitors a lot better.
That's what I thought - until my last stay. Previous stays as Gold or Diamond I got good room upgrades, fruit water and bottle of wine. No breakfast unless room rate included it.

My last stay I wasn't upgraded, no fruit water or wine. I did get 1 chocolate - big deal. The hotel was not at all full. I was told I didnt get any status amenities due to the cheap rate I had booked (on hilton.com)
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:27 am
Suspended

So basically I see the hotel as sticking to the bare minimum they have to do for a Gold. Diamonds may fare better.
But isnt free breakfast (be it in the lounge or restaurant) a perk for Gold and Diamond members ?

I would never stay at a Hilton that refuses to honour the free breakfast benefit. BTW Perth is not all that big a city, and I have no problem walking from the Sheraton to the CBD or Northbridge area. I believe theres also a free public bus that passes by the Sheraton. No need to stay at such a horrible Hilton.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by mario33
But isnt free breakfast (be it in the lounge or restaurant) a perk for Gold and Diamond members ?
Nope.

Officially, outside of North America, they only have to offer the following for Gold/Diamond:
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...s/levels.jhtml

"Upgrade to Executive Level or to the next best available room type (does not include suites). Upgraded rooms are subject to availability at the time of check-in. At hotels that do not have upgraded types of accommodations or upgrade is not available, Gold VIPs will receive additional amenities and/or services, which vary by property. Click here for a list of participating hotels."
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:29 pm
cjd

Nope.

Officially, outside of North America, they only have to offer the following for Gold/Diamond:
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...s/levels.jhtml

"Upgrade to Executive Level or to the next best available room type (does not include suites). Upgraded rooms are subject to availability at the time of check-in. At hotels that do not have upgraded types of accommodations or upgrade is not available, Gold VIPs will receive additional amenities and/or services, which vary by property. Click here for a list of participating hotels."
We hit lucky with this hotel last year. As Aus_Mal states, outside of the North America, they only have to give Golds or Diamonds an additional amenity, which can be just a a bottle of water if they want! Now that Hilton Hotels Corporation have taken over Hilton International, I wish Hilton would sort this problem out. I've said it before - in the UK, I've given up expecting or asking for any upgrade or amenity now - they just don't seem to care about Golds and Diamonds, especially the ex-Stakis hotels - but I digress from the topic of the Perth Hilton.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Hilton Perth- Stay Report

Im currently backpacking in Oz for a couple of weeks, and after spending New Years in the bush, I was in much need of a real bed, shower, room service etc.

I booked a room at the Hilton Perth for what I thought was a bargin rate of 55 UK pounds.

Now when I checked in, I was dirty. I had not showered in 3 days, I stank, was sweaty, was a real mess. I could understand that even though a Hilton Gold, I didnt get any upgrade, or Exc lounge use. I just got a simple room and a voucher saying that I could get a free breakfast.

The room was very nice and the bed was great. In the morning I had a nice full english breakfast. Over all happy. Not a bad hotel at all with the price at 55pounds.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:13 am
cjd

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
I could understand that even though a Hilton Gold, I didnt get any upgrade, or Exc lounge use. I just got a simple room and a voucher saying that I could get a free breakfast.

The room was very nice and the bed was great. In the morning I had a nice full english breakfast. Over all happy. Not a bad hotel at all with the price at 55pounds.
Don't think this hotel has an Executive Lounge, at least it didn't when we were there last. Although we thought the hotel was old, we found it clean and pleasant and in a good location. £55 is a great rate.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:15 am
Suspended

Good to know they now offer complimentary breakfast to Golds.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Anyone stayed there recently ?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:51 am
Suspended

Received both room upgrade and full breakfast, plus 2 bottles of water each day.

Was expecting the worst with all the negative reports here, but was pleasantly surprised. The rooms could do with new carpets and furnitures, but the bathrooms were fine with seperate shower stall and appeared to have been renovated in recent years.

Hardly the best Hilton I have stayed at, but in terms of HHonors recognition I couldnt fault them.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Has anyone had any recent experience at the Parmelia as HHonors Gold, particularly since the changes to the benefits for Golds?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Not recent, but ...

As a gold with a couple of stays some years ago I was upgraded to nice large rooms if somewhat dated (SWMBO loved them). However, no breakfast in line with the non North American T&C that existed then.

I havn't stayed there for just over three years - but the HHonors T&C's now state they must provide you with continental breakfast.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:18 pm
Suspended

It was full breakfast a few months back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.