Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
May 27 - 31 2010

Hilton Adelaide hotel
233 Victoria Square, Adelaide, Australia 5000
Tel: 61-08-8217-2000 Fax: 61-8-8217-2001

Awards Category 4 hotel (30,000 HHonors points per night)
Normal award room is QUEEN HILTON GUEST ROOM; NOR-1 property
1.5% charge for all credit card charges (yeah, new law in Oz to "help consumers")
Valet Parking: $28.00 AUD per day

The Hilton Adelaide is, as others have said, a bit of an anachronism - kind of like stepping back in time to a 1980s (or maybe even previous decade) hotel. It is well situated: the city is great for walking, the tram immediately outside is free within the CBD and goes all the way to Glenelg, and there are free busses within the CBD as well. The Central Market is nearly adjacent with shops, restaurants, chemist / drugstore, ATMs, and connected to Gouger (pronounced "goojer") St. and its trendy and diverse restaurants.

The hotel has 18 floors, with the Executive Lounge on the 16th. Card key access required for elevator (unless going to lobby or function floors). Some floors front on Victoria Square - which can be noisy some days, and in particular if there is a demonstration or other function with amplified sound on the square greens.

Checking in revealed little interest in upgrading for the sake of upgrading a Diamond, so I did go for the NOR-1 upgrade, and was ensconced in room 1620 on the Exec. floor with Vic. Sq. views. (xx09 is to be avoided, near the elevator lobby.) The room was clean and fairly modern, nice LCD, desk, etc. etc. Nothing screamingly bad, nor screamingly wonderful, but well kept up with a tea / coffee maker, mini-bar (not the automated kind, so you can store some of your own items), ironing set, safe, dryer, daily newspaper, bed with duvet. The HVAC was quite good and temperatures were easily adjusted (in Celsius, of course). Telecom allows up to 30 minutes calls for tollfree, local (within South Australia) calls, and from then it gets expensive (of course); thank goodness for Pingo to call home.

The bathroom is huge with separate tub and rain shower enclosure, the usual full Crabtree and Evelyn amenities, multi-service shaver outlet and substantial towels (and wash cloths, not always provided "abroad" from the USA.)

The Lounge is comfortable and was never too full, with attentive lounge attendants, two Internet-connected computers (staff must log you on, the logon expires in 30 minutes), and limited printing can be provided (e.g. boarding passes). Breakfast starts at 6:30 weekdays, 7:30 holidays, and offers boiled eggs, smoked salmon, breakfast quiche to extend the rather good Continental breakfast, as well as an espresso machine you can operate yourself (but staff would rather bring your hot beverage to you). Tea is offered at 4:00 PM iirc, with some cakes and sweets. 6:00 - 8:00 PM provides beers, wines and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages as well as a selection of hot and cold hors d'oeuvres, in substantial quantity. The staff is really hospitable and gracious here.

Restaurant is The Brasserie with "Seriously Australian: locally sourced and really good food. The Charles . lobby bar is OK as well, and if you like oysters, I highly recommend the excellent, meaty Coffin Bay oysters.

Fitness centre, business centre and pool: I didn't have much time to check these out; sorry.

Diamond Treatment: Maybe not so very special, what with NOR-1 and all these days, who is - but the Hilton Adelaide seems to treat everyone well, from what I could see (though a few FTers at the Do seemed to think not, they did, IMO, a yeoman's job for the FT Do here) and I would not hesitate to recommend it. I got a letter and two bottles of water daily - but in addition to my 30,000 miles, I paid AUD $62 / USD $52 per day for the NOR-1 upgrade, and the assurance of lounge and a decent room etc. for the off hours made it decent.

Would I stay here again? Sure!

And finally, do not confuse the Hilton Adelaide Hotel, a Hilton property, with the Hilton Hotel, corner South Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton, South Australia, which is not a Hilton at all, in the Adelaide suburb called Hilton.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm Reason: add final
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Was looking to book a room at the Adelaide Hilton for early December weekend of 3rd-4th, however rooms are going for $500+. Nothing cheaper.

I held reservations for Ozfest for around $150 in May. Why the massive price hike?

Is there a convention on or something? Crown Plaza and Intercontinental have crazy starting rates at $490++ too.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:31 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Quick google search returns The Ashes!

December 3-7, Australia v England, Adelaide
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Quick google search returns The Ashes!

December 3-7, Australia v England, Adelaide
Oh no! Thanks for letting me know. I am NOT going for the Ashes but looks like the hotels are already set to gouge all the tourists for this weekend.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:56 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Perhaps stay in the Barossa Valley?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
I'm at the Adelaide Hilton right now. Executive floor is heaven. Got a free upgrade with the gold status. It's practically like being on a cruise ship. Free breakfast until late. Then they starve me for all of about 4 hours when they roll out afternoon tea from 3-6. It's a high tea with scones, cream, jam, pastries, and fruit. And of course the tea which is brewed in a pot, loose tea, that comes with a personal strainer and cup. Starting at 6 they roll out free drinks and snacks. The snacks include an assortment of cheeses. Humus and babganough. Hot things like dumplings or chicken satay. Bread cut up. some nuts. chips. the ubiquitous fruit. They have three different whites and three different reds for the wines. I'm partial to the penfolds cab/shiraz. Also mixed drinks. This goes for a couple of hours. But even after that they will serve tea, espresso, coffee etc until 11pm. So then you starve again until breakfast. You have a choice of the full Hilton breakfast downstairs
or the cold breakfast in the lounge. The cold one does include things like smoked salmon so it's pretty extensive for a cold breakfast. This gold thing is fantastic here.
Staying at a $247/night AAA rate. I think it was a deluxe king or something like that. Frankly the bed seems smaller than a king. But it's large for one person. With all the free food I'm hardly paying for anything in the restaurant. The restaurant downstairs does feature some nice australian food like kangaroo but I have not tried that. Turn down service comes with two small chocolates. The minibar has more chocolate for a fee.

Room looks out over the park from the 16th floor. I get two bottles of water a day for free and the internet for free. Signal for the wifi is 2 bars in the room, but I could also use wired. From the bed I get 3 bars. Bathroom has a separate tub (albeit small) and a shower with an overhead rainshower. I did see what looked like it might be a roach/waterbug crawling around the bathroom one night. I ignored it and it went away. These days, if it's not a bed bug and it's not in my food, I don't get too worked up. The bug in question was way too big to be a bed bug. Carpet could use some updating. Staff says this floor is due for a mild facelift, including the lounge, although I still think it's a nice lounge.

Everything is done in Cherry wood modern decore - I like it.

Tram is right across the street. Goes all the way to Glenelg and the ocean in about 30 minutes. Massive shop arcade around the corner.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
businesstraveller2,
I was in Oz in December & January and stayed at the Hilton Adelaide for a week during The Ashes. I tried the breakfast in the lounge but preferred the breakfast downstairs. The breakie there (and in the Hilton Sydney) has got to be the best breakfast I've had at a Hilton. In Adelaide, they occasionally have steak and lamb chops! (and I would guess you know by know now how juicy the meat is in Oz!).
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by GoodTimes
businesstraveller2,
I was in Oz in December & January and stayed at the Hilton Adelaide for a week during The Ashes. I tried the breakfast in the lounge but preferred the breakfast downstairs. The breakie there (and in the Hilton Sydney) has got to be the best breakfast I've had at a Hilton. In Adelaide, they occasionally have steak and lamb chops! (and I would guess you know by know now how juicy the meat is in Oz!).
Yes indeed I had the downstairs breakfast two of my four days and I can not guess how many pounds I put on that week. They also made me a cappuccino with the downstairs breakfast if I asked. With decaf beans if I asked. I was feeling so spoiled I practically requested them to change the news in the Australian to something a bit more cheerful than all those cyclone pictures. Something that would be a better accompaniment to the lovely breakfast.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:08 am
Suspended

A little quirk about this hotel is that the higher the floor, the older the rooms get. It appears they started renovations quite some time back, and it started from the top floors (executive floors) and the renovations worked its ways down over the years. The exec floor rooms are dated & looked very eighties/nineties, while the lower floor rooms are more modern but feels a little sterile and the bathrooms are very small (no bathtub).

The exec lounge is ok, with 2 hot items during evening cocktail hours & it tends to get very crowded. The lounge is closed in the afternoon on weekends.

The location is probably as good as it can get in Adelaide. Just behind the hotel is Central Market, a shopping arcade and a Coles supermarket, plus Chinatown & Gouger St the restaurant strip. Infront of the hotel is Victoria Sq and the CBD offices, plus a tram stop which goes all the way to Glenelg the seaside town.

There is a newish Crowne Plaza in Adelaide (towards Rundall Mall shopping strip), but the Hilton's location is hard to beat !

Last edited by mario33; Apr 12, 2011 at 6:23 am
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:46 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mario33

The location is probably as good as it can get in Adelaide. Just behind the hotel is Central Market, a shopping arcade and a Coles supermarket, plus Chinatown & Gouger St the restaurant strip. Infront of the hotel is Victoria Sq and the CBD offices, plus a tram stop which goes all the way to Glenelg the seaside town.
Agreed^
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:12 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

If you think those rooms are bad, you should see the top two suites. On the top floor they smelled mouldy and looks like a bad hotel from the 1980s.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Just completed two overnight stays here and both were pretty good.

First stay we had a newly renovated room on the 7th floor and at check in we were given details of internet, etc without having to ask. Nice room with compliemntary water and very comfortable. Lounge was busy (Wednesday) but very efficient staff ensuring food and drink was always topped up.

Second stay we had an Executive Room on 18th floor. I liked the layout of the room but it was very shabby in comparison. Lounge was a lot quieter (Sunday) but the guy on duty was really not doing his job and kept disappearing for long periods.

I thought that the selection of food and drink was OK and they were happy to give us additional water from their fridge.

I really like the location of the hotel as I like exploring Gouger Street and I love the Central Market to stock up on great food as we were off to the Adelaide Hills for a few days. Valet Parking at A$30 seems a bit expensive but again very good service.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Just completed a 3 night say, upgraded to an exec room on the 18th floor, very nice. Lounge staff, food, drinks all first-class, superior to SYD, BNE and even OOL. Great vlue for $217 per night.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Had a 3 night reward stay over the long weekend using 3 certs.

Checked in with my gf and was told that they had arranged a room with 2 beds for some reason... the front desk staff asked me if it was correct choosing very carefully his words because he knew something wasn't right.
Asked for King bed and an upgrade if available. Given top exec-floor corner room.

Hotel is getting a bit old but none the less it was a great stay with one of the quickest room service ever!
I asked for toothbursh and it was brought up pretty much within a minute.
Asked for a shaving kit and it was brought up within 2 minutes.

One of the best air conditioners I've had in many hotel rooms. Turned on to max it warmed up the room within minutes. Set the temperature for night time sleeping and it kept the room at the exact temperature. It was whisper quiet, I wish all hotels had the same unit.

We went on a Kangaroo Island tour and had to leave the hotel at 6:15am and they arranged for 2 packed breakfast for us.

The morning breakfast downstairs was great!
Best latte I've had in a long time. Great selection of food for everyone.

Convenient transport with Trams at the front door! I took the J1 bus from the airport, although it was meant to stop a couple of blocks away from the hotel, when I was about to get off the bus, the bus driver told us to sit back down as after the end of his route would drop us off at the front door of the hotel!

Took a taxi from hotel to the airport at 5pm, cost $18 and took 12minutes.

Food was available within the central markets downstairs, if you like asian food chinatown looked good.
Exec Lounge was great, as everyone have mentioned already. I found it closed too early and didn't really allow people to stay in the lounge too long.

Would stay here again.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Gotta add my own recommendation for this hotel. Mrs. Deemus and I spent 4 nights there last November using points (GLON), and it was a terrific stay, especially since it only cost 102,000 points! We were put in a relatively comfortable king room on the same floor as the executive lounge. Really enjoyed the evening cocktail hour there, and breakfast was really convenient (though the buffet downstairs was definitely better and included as Diamond benefits). We also did a trip to Kangaroo Island, which I highly recommend. I can't remember the tour company we booked with, but we did the bus/ferry over there and paid extra for the flight back (which got us back to the city 3ish hours earlier than if we had gone back via the ferry and bus).

The location is superb, with lots of great restaurants nearby and a tram stop literally across the street. Sure, the hotel is a bit dated, but it was a great place to stay, especially given how close it is to the Barossa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.