FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Nashville Downtown {US-TN} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/131829-hilton-nashville-downtown-us-tn.html)

general45 Jan 12, 2004 8:47 am

Hilton Nashville Downtown {US-TN}

Just pushing this inquiry forward, does anyone have any info about this property. I have a stay there in March, and would appreciate any comments, pro or con, as to what your experience was. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by general45 (edited Feb 03, 2004).]

general45 Feb 3, 2004 6:39 pm

Thought my edit on my original inquiry would bump this up. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

OB one Feb 4, 2004 9:20 am

Since nobody else is replying, I'll chime in with my two cents worth. Wanted to stay here for a convention last year, but the NCAA basketball tournament was in town so it was all booked up. Instead I stayed at the Embassy Suites Vanderbilt. Nice property, standard ES fare, but new and shiny, although a bit remote from downtown. You need a car at the ES or lots of taxis.

For downtown activites, HS would be nice because you can go bar hopping listening to some great music and then stumble back to your hotel. It is close to the Arena and bars and other tourist stuff so would be a good location while on foot. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Pakse Feb 4, 2004 7:39 pm

Hilton Nashville Downtown Trip Reports and Reviews

Howdy,

If I've got the right hotel, and I hope I don't; the manager was the worst manager I have ever encountered in a customer facing job.

1. Check in day 1, 6pm. AC doesn't work. It's far too hot for me (85+); I can't sleep and I have to teach a class in the morning. Ask for another room - told all full.

2. Someone will be right up Sir. Took 3 more calls; 1 hour apart. Finally at 9:30 someone showed up; beg for another room - told all full.

3. Said it was fixed, and cool air would start in a few hours (?? I didn't buy it; but I'm not an HVAC expert...didn't know what to do - and I really wanted to believe this guy). It's now midnight. I try to sleep. Horrible; couldn't sleep.

4. 2am - call the desk - beg for another room; told no dice; hotel is full. Check again online - shows plenty of space avalible; call back - told no way.

5. Day 2 - stop at front desk at 7am, write a note asking for AC to be fixed or another room; ask for manager - explain to desk manager. Assured it will be fixed.

6. Get back to room 7pm, room hot - ac still not working. Call front desk, again repeatedly; 8:30 guy shows up. After 5 minutes, a ball of fire (yes, you read that right) a ball of fire and a cloud of smoke erupt from the area where he is working, he falls back on his rear. He assures me he is alright and mutters, "Must have crossed the wrong wire, no problem".

7. 11pm, tells me can't fix it, needs a compressor or something. He's getting the part - again beg for another room (check online and call diamond desk - all say rooms free). Told all full.

8. Finally at midnight - guy leaves room - there is no ac to work - so I get little or no sleep again.

9. Day 3 again - same routine with front desk. Ask for hotel general manager to contact me. He doesn't.

10. Go back to room - nothing working. Hotel General Manager finally gets on phone (I had to call him again). Tells me hotel full; nothing he can do. I conference in Diamond Desk. Suddenly - I get another room and yes - the AC works.

The hotel general manager was a complete jerk to me; I put up with a lot. He never so much as offered an apology.

Anyway - this is the last place I'd stay; next time I go to Nashville; you'll see me in a motel 6.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

p.s. If it matters - I had then (and do now have) Diamond status with Hilton. Oh yeah - I was not on a discounted rate.

Jakester May 11, 2004 1:39 pm

Nashville Hilton Alert!!!

The Hilton Nashville Suites has morphed into a mainstream Hilton as of May 6. 2004. This means that the comped breakfast for all guests, and still posted as available on the website, is no more. It also means that HHonors breakfast rules should apply. (But didn't seem to be common knowledge for the front desk staff.)

As of last weekend, the hotel was having some problems with this. Guests who booked prior to the changeover asked for the free breakfast and were being turned away. The hotel did put out two coffee pots and some rolls.

P.S. Although a beautiful downtown hotel, it only has a basic cable package.
Over the air channels, cnn, one espn, some shopping channels and a variety of community access. Oh yeah, the all the time Andy of Mayberry channel.

LemonThrower May 12, 2004 7:25 am

Thanks for the heads up.

Is that the property next to the arena? I was in the lobby and its very nice and a good downtown location.

What do you think of the Embassy Suites on Music Row? I have some functions at Vanderbilt to attend and am familiar with the neighborhood. How does the ES property compare. They are being offered at nearly the same rate.

Jakester May 12, 2004 7:34 am

The Hilton is right next to the arena. It is a striking hotel with a huge atrium lobby. The rooms are 2 room suites. The tv selection is lacking. The Hilton also is right by the active part of Broadway. (Visit Jack's Barbeque.)

I never have stayed at the ES. That neighborhood is about 12 blocks or so from the Hilton. Lots of restaurants and other hotels. But the Music Row area does go from a good area to a seedy one in a blink of an eye.

dphmicn Mar 29, 2005 9:43 pm

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Nashville downtown? Comments?

Looks like I'll be in Nashville in Sept for a conference. Considering this hotel for location convenience to the convention center. I'd like to read any comments on this property. Thanks.

FemaleFlyer Mar 30, 2005 2:23 pm

Yes

I stayed there on a weekly basis several years ago (2000-2001). It was new at the time, and it is one of the nicer Hilton properties.

fed planner Mar 31, 2005 7:02 am

Stayed there last November. Hotels is OK - all suite, but the rooms are very small. Service at the desk was terrible.

Beware, parking is expensive and is not controlled by the hotel. There was no in-out option, meaning you had to pay each time. Use valet, as it will be cheaper.

I wouldn't go back.

fp

dphmicn Mar 31, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks for the quick responses from each of you. I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

PHL Aug 21, 2007 9:39 am

Hilton Nashville Downtown Trip Reports and Reviews

Having gotten a corporate rate of $155 for a midweek stay, compared to the published rate of $189, made me pick this property over the Doubletree Downtown Nashville.

The property is 10 stories and features an indoor Embassy Suites-like atrium with the rooms surrounding it. There are 6 rooms on each floor that face inward to the atrium, with the rest all having outside views.

The lobby area and check in is nicely appointed, very modern and clean. The staff was quick and efficient. There was no need to even ask for an upgrade because this is an all suite hotel.

But they are small. You walk into the living room of the suite which features a sofa bed, desk and armoire with a TV. That pretty much takes up the entire space of this barely 200 sq. ft. room. The adjoining bedroom is also about 200 sq. ft, possibly less. It's just big enough for the bed(s) and night tables. There is no dresser, but the TV is in an in-wall unit with drawers. There is just enough room to walk around the bed in this very cramped bedroom.

The bathroom connects the two rooms, with a door into it from each room. There is also a door that adjoins the rooms, so the bathroom isn't the only access point from one room to the next. I wonder if they might just knock the wall down between the two rooms and make it one large (i.e. standard) size hotel room. :)

WiFi is available throughout the hotel, as are hardwired connections in the suites for $9.99/night.

You can valet park for $20/night, or self park in the underground garage (with an elevator into the lobby) for $14. If you self park, you must pay each time you come and go, and the charges cannot be put on the room. Apparently, if you valet then those charges will go on the room bill as well.

The location is pretty decent, just off of 4th and Broadway and within walking distance of most attractions.

Chicago Wine Geek Aug 21, 2007 10:18 am

Wow, I can't believe that this is the first post on this property. I come to Nashville pretty regular and have stayed at this property probably 40 times. I can usually call the GMs assistant and get a $139 rate. My favorite thing about this hotel is The Palm Steakhouse. They have a frequent dining program called the 837 club. Frequent steak points! Best thing is to have a really expensive business dinner - get 837 points. Charge the dinner to your room - get Hilton points. Pay for your room with your Diner's Club or HH AMEX and get even more points!

As for the hotel, the rooms are small, even though they are technically suites. The pool is indoors which is nice in the winter but I wish there was somewhere outside to enjoy the summer days. The "exercise room" is a joke. Treadmills that need to be replaced and decades old "Universal" type equipment - all 4 pieces. The TVs in the room are poor and usually the reception is too due to the bad cables. The GM said that they are due for flat screen upgrades and a fitness center upgrade by the end of the year. I'd be impressed if they make that date.

The only upgrade available is to the Presidential Suite which I've only gotten once. Given how much money I've spent at this property, I'm surprised I haven't gotten it more often.

But I guess with this property it's all about location. Across from the major concert venue, Nashville Predator's arena, Country Music Hall of Fame, downtown Broadway hot spots, etc. It still amazes me that they can get $189.

If I wasn't addicted to the Palm and HH points, I'd try the Renaissance a block over. Looks pretty good.

Oh yea, and as a Diamond you get breakfast coupons each day that are good for $15 I think.

PHL Aug 21, 2007 11:50 am

Gold's get breakfast too....

Since there is no executive floor/lounge, I updated the "My Way" preferences to award me 1000 extra HHonors points in lieu of those perks. But, I still was given coupons for the continental breakfast served in the main lobby/atrium anyway.

The server also didn't mention a cash value for the coupon. I was simply given access to the cold buffet (cereal, yogurt, fruit, salmon, pastries), which was plenty sufficient. The hot buffet upgrade was $8.30 extra.

Chicago Wine Geek Aug 21, 2007 1:01 pm

I opted for the hot breakfast, gave him my coupon and the total charge on my bill was like $5.00