Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Originally Posted by wizla
I heard ( from a very good source) that Breakfast is taken in the restaurant, whilst the lounge is open there is only coffee and tea available at breakfast time.
Just to circle back after our stay, this remains the case and was of decent quality with fresh fruit and everything else you would expect available daily.

The lounge is still spiritless, and the evening food rotated between lamb kebabs/cauliflower and aranchi balls/sausages. Possibly also a third rotation the day we skipped the lounge. A couple one evening were very vocal about how the lounge was ‘disgusting’ particularly the food selection and seemed to be monitoring peoples use of tongs for the food and making some remarks which were quite insensitive had anyone who overhead lost someone to covid. I think they had drunk too much ‘disgusting’ red wine. I felt like saying “you don’t know whose used wine glass rim those wine bottles have touched before pouring yours”, but thought better of it!

Housekeeping was daily without us making any requests, and as diamonds we were upgraded to a King Executive Plus room which was very large and had a fantastic view.

Paid for on points, overall a solid 4/5 stay.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Hi

We stayed early December and breakfast was in the restaurant. Did not try the lounge for breakfast.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
UPDATE - I’m hearing through the grapevine that parking is now free here for Diamonds!
Abidjan likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
UPDATE - I’m hearing through the grapevine that parking is now free here for Diamonds!
I think it always has been. Certainly from 2019 on several stays I've never been charged for parking as Diamond. It's rather expensive otherwise at £14 considering it's on the Gateshead side of the river.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by MarcD
I think it always has been. Certainly from 2019 on several stays I've never been charged for parking as Diamond. It's rather expensive otherwise at £14 considering it's on the Gateshead side of the river.
Turns out you are correct, I’ve just looked back a couple of pages at my review ( June 2018 ) and I mentioned that parking comped for diamonds then…. I couldn’t remember but heard this on another forum.
MarcD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
It’s just the free “Jeanette” that’s no longer available, hopefully……
MarcD and wizla like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by adobbing
It’s just the free “Jeanette” that’s no longer available, hopefully……
Oh still available but you have to go to a kebab van around the back.... apparently it’s called the lost slipper !.... ( I genuinely laughed out loud when I read your post ! )
adobbing and MarcD like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One night stay, upped to Exec Plus, suites not showing at the time of reservation and that didn't change.
Lounge is beer/wine only, quite disappointing no basic gin. Could it not be granted by a special wink? It's a pity the brand standard has gone to pot all over the UK. Guests were nevertheless enjoying the tanker like its water.
Breakfast is typical Hilton. Poachers were good.

The hotel is very tired and that's shown by the very low rates. Its clear the North East is really struggling post-Covid, flights from NCL are ridiculously cheap- I was shocked when I was playing around with Google flights while enjoying my canapés. The loss of midweek business and the weekend clientele hammering the lounge doesn't help.

For all those reasons I think we need to forgive the hotel for trying to save a few beans.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I’m staying here for 11 nights and I was last here during COVID times, so anything would be an improvement on that!

my company are trying to get us to book the cheapest room at any given hotels these days, so I was forced to book a standard double but was upgraded to a queen exec with balcony overlooking the river, which is very pleasant in this heat.

The lounge, post-Jeanette for those that remember her is reasonable. A lack of spirits, even on a request basis is disappointing but the canapés this past 2 nights have actually been quite nice. The colds are turkey and salami slices with humus, which I’m sure will get boring after a few days. The hots yesterday were duck spring rolls and arancini balls. Tonight is lamb koftas and dumplings. I’m not sure what their repeat period is, but I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough. Surprisingly there are no sweet options of any kind.

Beer is a choice of Bud and Heineken. Wine is red or white, with some sparkly, most likely Cava.

At 6.01, it’s like feeding time at the zoo and the staff don’t seem to care if people are leaving with full plates and glasses. I’ve even seen one guy come back 3 times to replenish his supplies.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
I’m staying here for 11 nights and I was last here during COVID times, so anything would be an improvement on that!

my company are trying to get us to book the cheapest room at any given hotels these days, so I was forced to book a standard double but was upgraded to a queen exec with balcony overlooking the river, which is very pleasant in this heat.

The lounge, post-Jeanette for those that remember her is reasonable. A lack of spirits, even on a request basis is disappointing but the canapés this past 2 nights have actually been quite nice. The colds are turkey and salami slices with humus, which I’m sure will get boring after a few days. The hots yesterday were duck spring rolls and arancini balls. Tonight is lamb koftas and dumplings. I’m not sure what their repeat period is, but I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough. Surprisingly there are no sweet options of any kind.

Beer is a choice of Bud and Heineken. Wine is red or white, with some sparkly, most likely Cava.

At 6.01, it’s like feeding time at the zoo and the staff don’t seem to care if people are leaving with full plates and glasses. I’ve even seen one guy come back 3 times to replenish his supplies.
Sounds reasonably positive!

I’ve seen many occasions where people treat the food in the lounge as a main meal rather than nibbles to accompany a pre dinner drink. It’s very obvious and off putting.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by adobbing
Sounds reasonably positive!

I’ve seen many occasions where people treat the food in the lounge as a main meal rather than nibbles to accompany a pre dinner drink. It’s very obvious and off putting.
The worst example of that I ever saw was a few weeks ago in the Metropole in London. A dad and son came in and proceeded to fill, and I mean fill a table for 4 with everything they could fit on it. This was shortly followed by mum and daughter who then joined in the feast.

it was so ridiculous that a manager came over and “had words” with said dad, who pointed out that it had been fine the day before! Talk about stopping digging when you’re in a hole!
They were closely monitored by the staff as to how much they actually consumed and I’m sure they would have been charged had they not cleared almost all of it but it was sickening to watch the arrogance and total disregard for the ethos of the lounge.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The worst example of that I ever saw was a few weeks ago in the Metropole in London. A dad and son came in and proceeded to fill, and I mean fill a table for 4 with everything they could fit on it. This was shortly followed by mum and daughter who then joined in the feast.

it was so ridiculous that a manager came over and “had words” with said dad, who pointed out that it had been fine the day before! Talk about stopping digging when you’re in a hole!
They were closely monitored by the staff as to how much they actually consumed and I’m sure they would have been charged had they not cleared almost all of it but it was sickening to watch the arrogance and total disregard for the ethos of the lounge.
Yep
Delusional self entitlement in action!

They should have brought them the bin and asked if they’d like to rummage through it!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:29 pm

I was in the Hilton Birmingham metropole exec lounge a month or so back, got talking to another Diamond who told me a few nights back a family was in lounge openly grabbing the food and booze , abusing staff ….apparently the manager was called and he told staff to let them have any food they wanted to keep them quiet, he said he felt sorry for staff even wrote a trip advisor review stating this…..that is so out of order!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys should visit places in Arab states or where Arab guests frequent. You'd need therapy to cope with the food waste before your eyes .
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Stayed one night, booked double room. Auto-upgraded to 2 doubles at -72 hours... not really an upgrade since an extra bed was not useful for me. I didn't even get the Hilton slippers! (Saw some people wearing the slippers to breakfast.) However, it was completely sold out by the day before check in so nothing further was possible.

Lounge food was vegetable samosas and pretty substantial chunks of meat skewers. It was full and standing from 5-7 with everyone piling on the beer and wine, but I suspect most people paid for it, so fair enough. Well, I also paid 6000 points - the price difference between here and the Hampton (and had to walk across the High Level Bridge avoiding bird poo and dripping water).

Breakfast was rather chaotic, the 4 waiting staff were all doing their own thing with no apparent overall management. So people had to queue outside even though tables were free because the staff were spending more time implementing the queueing system rather than just clearing tables quickly. On the plus side, they put juice and pastries outside so you can start eating while waiting.

Talking about food waste, on my last few UK Hampton stays, people have been filling their plates full with the reconstituted eggs and fatty bacon, then they take a bite and realise it's disgusting so they just leave the whole plate and walk off. Also happens at the non-modern UK HIXs.

Abidjan and wizla like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.