Hilton Dusseldorf {DEU}

Reply

Old Aug 25, 17, 3:38 am
  #211  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,658
Thank you! Sounds great and looking forward to it.
SusanDK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:47 pm
  #212  
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,196
Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
I stay here regularly and the lounge hours are indeed still the same.
3 weeks ago I stayed here during the week and could also eat breakfast downstairs in the restaurant as a Diamond (despite breakfast also being served in the lounge).
During the weekends indeed no breakfast in the lounge, the breakfast downstairs is very good btw. (outside terrace weather permitting) as is the lounge (very wide range of drinks and often -not always- very good food). The only problem with the executive lounge is that it is always very warm there (dress lightly :-))
Enjoy your stay!
I second the statement about the lounge in regard to temperature and food. The two warm dishes (usually one vegetarian option and one including meat / fish) sometimes change during the evening, i.e. a different dish is offered later in the evening.

However in regard to breakfast during the week, I was told, that breakfast is only available in the lounge if lounge access is offered. In so far, I would recommend to ask during check in. I know they make sometimes exceptions for long timers and frequent guests ( I got the breakfast in the restaurant comped a couple of times as I usually check out very early).
FLYGVA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:55 pm
  #213  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,658
Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
However in regard to breakfast during the week, I was told, that breakfast is only available in the lounge if lounge access is offered.
Wouldn't lounge access automatically be offered to a Diamond regardless of whether one is in an Executive room as per the Hilton elite benefits?
SusanDK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:34 am
  #214  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: not far from MUC
Posts: 6,301
We stayed here recently and I'd like to give the hotel some constructive feedback.

Can anyone PM me an email address for Guest Services Manager (or similar)? I asked at the front desk on checkout and they weren't exactly forthcoming...
shorthauldad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 17, 11:17 am
  #215  
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,196
Originally Posted by SusanDK View Post
Wouldn't lounge access automatically be offered to a Diamond regardless of whether one is in an Executive room as per the Hilton elite benefits?
This was related to Honors Gold. In the past the Hilton made a difference between a Gold with lounge access (breakfast in Lounge only) and one with upgrade but not lounge access (breakfast in the restaurant). In this a case a Diamond with Lounge access got only the breakfast in the lounge.

In a change, now breakfast for Golds and Diamond is available in the lounge or the restaurant.
FLYGVA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 17, 12:38 pm
  #216  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,658
Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
This was related to Honors Gold. In the past the Hilton made a difference between a Gold with lounge access (breakfast in Lounge only) and one with upgrade but not lounge access (breakfast in the restaurant). In this a case a Diamond with Lounge access got only the breakfast in the lounge.

In a change, now breakfast for Golds and Diamond is available in the lounge or the restaurant.
We had an excellent stay this past weekend. Upgraded from a standard king room to an Executive King room on the same floor as the lounge. We were invited to have breakfast either in the lounge or restaurant (Thursday - Friday) and, of course, in the restaurant only on Saturday since the lounge does not open for breakfast on the weekend.

We arrived around 10 am and were able to check in immediately, and also were granted a late 4 pm check out, although ended up leaving around 1 pm.
SusanDK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:17 am
  #217  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
Posts: 644
A few stays recently as Diamond, remains a solid option for that part of Dusseldorf, but for city centre there are more obvious choices I'd say. The hard product is still very 1990ies and shows signs of wear and tear (creme/beige leather sofa chairs anyone?).

Keeping Windows open at night is tricky - a lot of traffic noise from the big streets surrounding the hotel.

Lounge in turn still has a pretty good offer, with real hot options that pass as a replacement for dinner elsewhere (at least if staying only a few nights a month - a bit repetitive it is). Which I value, no need to fuss around with a restaurant.

Breakfast service I found hectic and not very good recently, often many uncleared tables leaving little choice where to sit. I now prefer breakfast I the lounge, nice and quiet, and the offer covers my breakfast needs.
treppenlaeufer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 18, 9:49 am
  #218  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Antwerp - Belgium
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 36
Have a stay coming up here this weekend. Booked the cheapest king guest room. I’m diamond though. Would it help to ask for an upgrade or just wait and see at checkin?


And any tips for parking in the neighbourhood? Or no alternatives for it’s own parking? Will be driving there from Belgium.
ulker32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 18, 12:05 pm
  #219  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by ulker32 View Post
Have a stay coming up here this weekend. Booked the cheapest king guest room. I’m diamond though. Would it help to ask for an upgrade or just wait and see at checkin?


And any tips for parking in the neighbourhood? Or no alternatives for it’s own parking? Will be driving there from Belgium.
There is no big difference between the rooms. You will get a higher floor, maybe an Executive, which means a bathrobe in the room or so.
They have a big parking place, 23 Euro the night. It is safe and fair.
flysmart2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 18, 12:17 pm
  #220  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Antwerpen - Belgium
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 510
Plenty of free street parking around during the weekends, mostly office buildings around (all fashion/personal care companies). Usual upgrade as a Diamond is executive room, sometimes junior suite. Rooms are a bit oldfashion and bathrooms tiny but the often cheap weekend rates and excellent lounge offerings (very warm in there though!) make it one of the best value Hiltons in Europe (at least for me). I also like the sanarium and sauna in the basement and weather permitting you can enjoy (the excellent) breakfast on the terrace. I am also from Belgium and a regular there.
petitaix and kevinhd like this.
Delectatio is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 18, 3:05 am
  #221  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: HH D; IHG G
Posts: 925
Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
... but the often cheap weekend rates and excellent lounge offerings (very warm in there though!) make it one of the best value Hiltons in Europe (at least for me). I also like the sanarium and sauna in the basement and weather permitting you can enjoy (the excellent) breakfast on the terrace.
A month after your comments, the AC in the executive lounge is still broken. They probably need a very special part from a manufacturer that went out of business. The lounge felt like a sauna - however without the sweet smell of lavender and eucalyptus oils.

Yet many people didn't seem to care as the lounge was crowded at coctail hour. While I had a room next to the EL and it was perfectly cool. No reason for complaints at 62 euros a night. They even sent a weekend supply of seasonal fruit to my room because of a negligible issue I had, that was taken care of within five minutes.

Instead of the dreadful instant coffee saschets, the room now had a Nespresso-style coffeemaker (but of a different system by Lavazza).
Sisosig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 18, 10:34 am
  #222  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Antwerpen - Belgium
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by Sisosig View Post
A month after your comments, the AC in the executive lounge is still broken. They probably need a very special part from a manufacturer that went out of business. The lounge felt like a sauna - however without the sweet smell of lavender and eucalyptus oils.

Yet many people didn't seem to care as the lounge was crowded at coctail hour. While I had a room next to the EL and it was perfectly cool. No reason for complaints at 62 euros a night. They even sent a weekend supply of seasonal fruit to my room because of a negligible issue I had, that was taken care of within five minutes.

Instead of the dreadful instant coffee saschets, the room now had a Nespresso-style coffeemaker (but of a different system by Lavazza).
We just checked out today from another 2 nights in the Hilton Dusseldorf (we must have been in the executive lounge at the same time). It was indeed again unbearably hot in there (many people were complaining). The fans didn't help much, even though they installed blinds in front of the windows but to no avail... at least the bedroom was cool enough. Strange that they don't do anything about this problem (which exists for a long time). It can't be that hard to install a proper AC in there.
Delectatio is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 18, 12:08 pm
  #223  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: HH D; IHG G
Posts: 925
What a coincidence. Yes, maybe we have seen each other without being aware of it. It was so busy, I thought it was more like Grand Central Station.
Sisosig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 18, 3:41 am
  #224  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,911
Mixed bag

Hilton Dusseldorf

2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton Dusseldorf

Georg-Glock Strasse 20 Duesseldorf, DE 40474

Mixed bag (8 Photos)

Hilton Dusseldorf

Location

Hotel is located slightly outside of the center and old city.  There is a U-bahn station/stop about 5 mins walk from the hotel.  There is not much around the hotel except for offices and close to the U-bahn station/stop some shops and restaurant.  For those not interested to pay for parking at the hotel parking, there are some street parking available but would be difficult during weekdays/office hours.  In the weekends it is much easier, although there are some lots which are private spaces - so take care to not park or you'll risk getting your car towed.

Check In

Arrived late in the evening at the property (around 6.30 pm) and there was only 1 associate at the front desk with 3 people in the line.  Not sure was it my bad luck or what, but every one before me had lots of questions to this only associate, so in the end it was about 15 mins before it was my turn.  I did not do an online check-in just to see if I will get an upgrade, but sadly, nothing much except a room on the Executive floor (which in my books is not an upgrade).  I was also informed that the lounge was closed (I did not ask for the reason) but they had a temporarily setup at the end of the on-site Restaurant Max (I was given initially wrong information by the associate that it was at the Bar area, but after going there, was informed that it was actually at the restaurant)

Room

Room was the normal size room facing the ring and the L'Oreal building.  

The room and furnishing was still the same, rather late 90's type but still functional.  

Bed was comfortable however the pillows in my opinion needs to be changed as it was practically flat even with 2 pillows piled above each other.  

Temperature control in the room was basically non-existence.  It was freezing outside, however the room felt too hot after some time (room was set to 23 deg C when I first entered) and despite setting the temperature down to 18 deg C and on high, there seemed to be no effect to the temperature in the room.  So in the end, I just turned off the unit and had the window opened for some time to cool down the room.  After this, for the whole night, the temperature was ok for sleeping.

There was tea/coffee making facilities in the room.  The mini bar was available but with the automated detection system.  Internet was stable and sufficiently fast (I was provided with a code - I guess this is for the higher speed internet).  The TV was on a smaller size for a Hilton with relatively OK channels ( although quite a number of them seemed to be not working anymore).

The bathroom was tiny, it was not possible to have 2 people in the space at the same time as there would be no way of passing each other.  Even for 1 person, it was quite small.  

Hil_bath.jpgHil_bath2.jpgHil_Bath3.jpghil_room1.jpghil_room2.jpgHil_room3.jpg

Executive Lounge

They had a temporary lounge set up at the back of the Restaurant Max.  Evening offerings were quite good with 3 different warm dishes and a couple of appetizers and desserts.  

There was a 2 different white and 2 different red wines (all wines seems to be of German origin - good to see that they try and promote the local wines).  There was also a sekt on offer.  Other than that, the usual alcoholic choices.

Service was good, with the 2 servers working in the section clearing plates and refilling drinks/asking for coffee/tea efficiently.  

Only complain would be the limited number of seats available.  When I arrived, there was no more seats available, so had to wait until one was available.  

Hil_temp_lounge.jpgHil_temp_lounge1.jpg

Breakfast

As I had expected during weekends, the hotel shifted the normal breakfast location from the Restaurant Max to the conference rooms of the hotel.  This means sharing tables with strangers, which to me is not really acceptable for a hotel of this level.  

However what was worst was that it seems in such a situation, the quality of the food reduces drastically.  The experience this time was really bad, most of the hot dishes - especially the beans, bacon and sausage, they were all burnt.  Especially the beans (which clearly was burnt - had both smell and taste that the pot of beans had burned and yet they tried to salvage it) and the bacon (basiclly a whole pile of rather blackend and oily pile of bacon).  

Also due to this settings, it seems that they could not set up a proper toaster - so there was no possibility to toast bread.  

All in all, not the best breakfast experience that you expect from a Hilton.  I've had such a situation before at the Renaissance Dusseldorf, and at least there, the arrangement was much better (and elegant).

Overall

I've stayed at this hotel before a couple of times and after my last stay, I too had some issues which I had informed the front desk.  However it seems that the management of the hotel is not taking the necessary steps to improve things - especially when the hotel capacity is high.  

Also, very little recognition of the hotel of Elite members as I don't see any improvement in giving the extra touch (better room upgrades, or some welcome amenities).

Only main reason I would recommend this property is that at least it has an executive lounge that still opens in the weekend with some subsance.  Location is not overly bad.

Mixed bag

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Dusseldorf?

No, thank you.
Yes
fransknorge likes this.
nldogbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 18, 4:18 am
  #225  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 685
Thank you for your review!

From my point of view the rate is the best thing to mention about the Hilton DUS. And I disagree about the location. As long as you don't have an event at the Hilton DUS, it's one of the worst locations you can choose in Düsseldorf. Far away from everything, but just a few parking lots for free.

If you don't have to care about the rate, the InterContinental at the Königsallee is better in every sense. And if you don't have to care about the rate at all, the Breidenbacher Hof is one of the best hotels in Europe.
thbe is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread