FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Amex: spend $1600 by year’s end; double points in January* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/131671-hilton-amex-spend-1600-year-s-end-double-points-january.html)

Jailer Nov 24, 2003 9:35 am

Hilton Amex: spend $1600 by year’s end; double points in January*

This on the heels of three months of double points on amounts charged over $800 per month, all of a sudden Hilton is targeting me, perhaps is has something to do with making Diamond.

*Starting November 27th. Bonus cannot exceed 40,000 HHonors points.

Jaybee Nov 24, 2003 10:27 am

Jailer, I'm only a gold, but my offer specifies $1200 between Thanksgiving and New Years', not $1600. ?????? Jean

NJUPINTHEAIR Nov 24, 2003 10:57 am

Mine is only $250 but that is because I rarely use the card.

That circumstance is due to the fact that if you are not a HHonors Diamond, HHonors points are virtually worthless.

sbc94523 Nov 24, 2003 3:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jailer:
This on the heels of three months of double points on amounts charged over $800 per month, all of a sudden Hilton is targeting me, perhaps is has something to do with making Diamond.

*Starting November 27th. Bonus cannot exceed 40,000 HHonors points.
</font>

Is this a targetted offer?

Jailer Nov 24, 2003 5:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sbc94523:

Is this a targetted offer?
</font>
Yes, targeted, but never hurts to give HHonors a call and ask to be included.....expect a "no" answer and so you might be happily surprised.

palex Nov 25, 2003 8:52 am

Mine is $250.
But it just because I keep very low available limit (1000) by shiftig all to SPG card. Last time I moved too close to the date they sent me similar offer and I had to spend 2K before I get double points - while I had 1K available limit. Now, when I got targeted I'll increase my available balance and as soon as it over move back to SPG again.

pinniped Nov 26, 2003 9:05 am

Mine is $500. I only use the card at Hiltons, so I won't make it.

badgerfan Nov 26, 2003 5:00 pm

I just called HHonors to see why I wasn't offered this deal. The CS agent really didn't seem to know about it. She said that I should call AMEX about it...

I called AMEX and found out why I'm never offered any promotions... awhile back I checked a box on a sheet they sent me asking if I wanted to opt out of marketing communications. That's why I never get any offers! I was able to, over the phone, change my preferences to get marketing communications only by mail.

[This message has been edited by badgerfan (edited Nov 26, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by badgerfan (edited Nov 26, 2003).]

Rut Dog Dec 8, 2003 11:15 pm

They've stopped targetting me for these, I think because I use the card so much. But I'm going to have my wife apply for a card, which we'll never use unless we're in the promo. Should do the trick. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Meanwhile...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
if you are not a HHonors Diamond, HHonors points are virtually worthless.</font>
For the sake of anyone new, I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I'm Gold, and use my points all the time.

So far in 2003 alone: 5 individual nights in Denver area, 1 week in LA, 1 week in PHX (Squaw Peak resort), 1 weekend in PHX, and 5 roundtrip domestic coach flights.

In every case: VIP treatment with suite upgrades (except at a Hampton with no suites) and breakfast (standard fare at the two Hampton stays).

And everyone on FT should be Gold by now (ACAQ).

I've posted a few times on how to best go about reserving reward stays. Feel free to avail yourself of the search function.

BTW, 90% of my points are earned from Amex and Visa spending, and I don't own a business that racks up thousands of extra points or anything like that; just standard spending on a 5 figure household income.

Jassy-50 Dec 9, 2003 12:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:

Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
if you are not a HHonors Diamond, HHonors points are virtually worthless.</font>
For the sake of anyone new, I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I'm Gold, and use my points all the time.

I absolutely agree with Rut Dog. I am a Gold, and we use our points every year for one or more trips to Europe. With a GLON, we get 6 nights of free hotel (and European hotels can be very expensive). We have always been upgraded and always had access to the executive lounge (or breakfast coupons). If you have never been to an executive lounge in a European Hilton, I must tell you that they are (for the most part) far superior to executive lounges in the U.S. (free food most of the day, free alcoholic beverages, friendly staff). Even with the reward points inflation of this past year, I always have plenty of points from using the Hilton affinity credit cards, especially the AmEx which racks up 3 points per $ on non-Hilton expenses and 5 points on Hilton expenses. Between Hilton stays with points and upgrades with my airline of choice, my husband and I always have a very reasonable and very pleasant vacation each year.

Grog Dec 9, 2003 12:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
...if you are not a HHonors Diamond, HHonors points are virtually worthless.</font>
Absolutely disagree. As Gold, I've had nine or 10 awesome award stays this year and used the points quite well--and never had non-availability when trying for a night. PointStretchers sweeten it even further.

--Grog--

noracle Dec 23, 2003 8:34 am

I got this also with $250 limit. I did not see buying saving bond is not eligible. Just want to make sure.

Thanks
Lee

Rut Dog Dec 23, 2003 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by noracle:
I got this also with $250 limit. I did not see buying saving bond is not eligible. Just want to make sure.</font>
It worked in the past for me, over $10,000 worth.

jwhuffman Dec 23, 2003 11:42 pm

Seems like, I got the better deal, I have no limit on what I can spend and I don't have a minimum amount to spend to get double points on my account.

Good Luck to those who have the restrictions.

panicst8 Jan 19, 2004 10:19 pm

Does anyone know if the 40,000 point limit is equal to the base plus the double points or just the double points?

In other words, is any dollar amount I spend in January over $6667 (6667 x 6 = 40,000) going to get me just the standard 3 points with no double. Or can I get double points all the way up to $13,334 (13334 x 6 = 80,000 for 40,000 base and 40,000 double.

I have to put down money anyway for a wedding in a couple of months, so I figured that I may as well put the money down now and capitalize on this offer http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif (I spent the necessary amount in December).

Thanks for the help!