Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Which Hilton properties for Savannah and Charleston?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond

I'm making plans for mid Feb travel for Savannah and Charleston. How are the Hampton Inns there? What properties would you recommend?

------------------
lennon
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
A few years back I stayed at the DoubleTree Guest Suites in the Historic District. Was a great location with everything nearby.

As far as the Hamptons go, I'd pick the Riverview one but only because it's near one of my favorite restaurants.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:55 pm

Programs: NW Plat; AA Gold; HH Diamond; MR Gold
I have never stayed at Hampton Inn in Charleston area. There is decent DT downtown, I believe on Church St. It is in an older buiding, but rooms are nice. Ask for a suite.

Plenty of dining and shopping within walking distance. Good way to get a taste of old Charleston.

HGI Airport is convenient and new. I also noticed on my last trip there on 12/29, there is a new Embassy Suite/Convention center at the airport.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi,

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Savannah and the Hampton Inn in Charleston in April 2003. They were both very nice but the Savannah HI is better located but the Charleston HI gave free parking as an ammenity for Gold.

Both are very nice for a Hampton Inn.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I would reccommend the Doubletree Guest Suites Historic District for your stay in Charleston. Excellent location at Church and Market streets. You can walk to pretty much anything in the historic district. If you are coming by car their parking is valet only and a bit expensive @ $16/day. There is a surface lot across the street for I believe $12/day if your going to park your car and leave it. btw the meters only run 8-5 M-F, so if you are there on a weekend we saved some $ by parking about 2 blocks N of the hotel from 5PM Sat then putting a couple $ in the meter Mon AM to get us until our noon departure time. To find the meters that allow overnight parking and have cheaper time go a block or two North of the hotel.

Definately ask for a suite--Its an all suite hotel :-), of course, as with many hotels, that means there are still a few non-suite rooms, so watch your booking to make sure they promise you a suite or get a substantial cut in $.

Very good service here, full cooked bkfast buffet comped x2 for gold.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:23 pm
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
I stayed the DeSoto Hilton in Savannah. It's a standard Hilton but I got upgraded to the executive floor as a Gold and the service is excellent. The staff really do go out of their way to help you. Location's pretty central and room rates were reasonable.

I would second the recommendations already made for the Doubletree in CHS. I can see no reason to opt for the Hilton Charleston
Harbour which is on the other side of the harbour and really out of the way unless you have a car and are prepared to drive back and forth.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Stayed at the Hampton in summer of 02 - it was a nice hotel and a great location. My only complaint was the fact that it had to worst pillows I have ever experienced. They were so bad, it made it difficult to sleep. I even heard other people commenting on them in the lobby area. It could have changed since then.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
Recent Thoughts

Anyone have any recent thoughts on Hilton properties in Charleston? Planning a trip for Jul as an add on to a family trip to Pawley's Island.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Southwest RR, HI Priority Gold, Marriott Rewards
Charleston

I stayed for three days in 2012 in the Doubletree Historic District. Had them valet the car as it is not needed, you can walk to all the sights and see a lot more. Although an older hotel is is very well kept, got free breakfast as gold. Never asked for an upgrade as we spent most of the time out of the room. I would stay again.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by spartan3186
Anyone have any recent thoughts on Hilton properties in Charleston? Planning a trip for Jul as an add on to a family trip to Pawley's Island.
Doubletree is indeed a great location. If you need the space the Embassy Suites isn't a bad option...

FDW
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:47 pm

Looking for an update to this exact situation. 6 night stay coming up for my wife, 2 year old daughter, and myself between these two cities. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Originally Posted by shimps1
Looking for an update to this exact situation. 6 night stay coming up for my wife, 2 year old daughter, and myself between these two cities. Any recommendations?
For Savannah, my first choice would be the Cotton Sail-Tapestry on the riverfront. It can have some high rates during the peak season, so my back up would be the DoubleTree-Historic District (just a few blocks away).

I'm not much help for Charleston Hiltons. All of the Hilton brands are too far from the main attractions for my personal preference, so we've never stayed in one. We have always spent more time in the area between Market & Broad St. than anywhere else, so we usually stay around there.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by rcmiller
For Savannah, my first choice would be the Cotton Sail-Tapestry on the riverfront. It can have some high rates during the peak season, so my back up would be the DoubleTree-Historic District (just a few blocks away).

I'm not much help for Charleston Hiltons. All of the Hilton brands are too far from the main attractions for my personal preference, so we've never stayed in one. We have always spent more time in the area between Market & Broad St. than anywhere else, so we usually stay around there.
Interesting, what do you like about The Cotton Sail? There were recent reviews that were very negative for that hotel on TripAdvisor. I was considering it as an option until I saw those. Maybe they are overblown?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Interesting, what do you like about The Cotton Sail? There were recent reviews that were very negative for that hotel on TripAdvisor. I was considering it as an option until I saw those. Maybe they are overblown?
Good location and historic property are two things I like about any downtown hotel stay and The Cotton Sail covered both well. The rooftop was also pretty cool with some nice views. I don't generally need a whole lot from hotel staff and my check-in was easy and my room was clean. I guess my caveat should be that my stay was pre-covid, so I can't comment on how things are since. Its possible they have cut back on staff/cleaning to save some money and that has led to poor reviews. I'm afraid many hotels have went that route.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta

I'm headed to Savannah for a quick two-day, want to make sure I'm centrally located so will splurge a bit (60,000 points! $35 parking! Eeek. That's Hawaii-level!) to stay in the Historic District.

Like shimps1, I was intrigued by the Tapestry Cotton Sail, but it's pretty panned on T/A reviews. Hilton Garden Inn looks like it's got full breakfasts going right now, which is a plus while many properties are making Covid excuses to cheap out and not offer benefits. I'm leaning towards the HGI - same location, looks in good shape compared to the Cotton Sail. I'll stay tuned to this thread for any feedback on HGI vs. Homewood (top Honors property for the area, so says T/A...)

(On that note, the Tapestry brand hotels are flummoxing to me. I stayed a couple weeks ago in a Florida one, and couldn't figure out what the brand standard was. I get they AREN'T "standard", but the Florida one I stayed in was pretty much a Hampton, but not as nice, crappy breakfast, at a higher price than a Hampton. It wasn't anything special, and amenities, soaps, bedclothes, etc were indistinguishable from a Hampton. But I've heard the Seattle one is really nice and higher standards.)
BigFishDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.