Hilton Salalah Resort {OMN}

Old Feb 18, 12, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Arrow Hilton Salalah Resort {OMN}

Just returned from this lovely hotel and could not find any reviews on it so here goes.
It is category 1 for rewards ie 7, 500 per night for rooms which are usually $150!
Salalah is on the south coast and there is an airport there. We had to change flights as we flew from the UK to Muscat and then on to Salalah. You can also fly to Salalah from Dubai etc.
The hotel is an attractive low rise building not too far from the ( industrial) port. The large cranes are visible in the distance but in no way detract from the beautiful view onto the white sandy beach. Indeed it was lovely to watch the ships coming and going. The grounds are very green and lush and well maintained
The hotel shuttle arrived at the airport to greet us on time.
I had travelled with a friend who is celebrating a big b'day later in the year and her 12 yo daughter and this was our girlie trip away to celebrate.
I had emailed the hotel in advance to tell them of this and all the responses were very prompt and helpful.
The air con in the hotel worked well.
There are 5 restaurants there ( Sheba's steakhouse which was excellent), the Al Maha buffet ( where breakfast was served as well as themed evenings eg Arabic / barbecue etc in the evenings), the Sushi restaurant and the pizza place we did not try. The Palm Grove served lovely food right on the beachfront.
The Mayfair cafe offers free wireless internet for half an hour with a purchase. The liqueur coffees there were excellent, and there was a light menu available.
We had free breakfast and free wired in room internet as diamond members.
The managers drinks reception on the Monday offered beautiful canapes including fresh crab and shrimp and any drinks you wanted!
The rooms to which we were upgraded were huge rooms overlooking the beach with a small balcony and and a seating area. They were interconnecting which was thoughtful of the hotel. There was a turndown service. the hotel was spotlessly clean.
They kindly sent up a fruit plate and plate of chocolates to each of the 2 rooms and a birthday cake !
However the best bit of the hotel was the staff. Always smiling and helpful, we really felt pampered and that our diamond membership was appreciated.
They represented many nationalities.
The food was good and the surrounding area very beautiful. We loved that the local camels walked on the beach every other day!
The outdoor pool was warm with plenty of loungers and umbrellas and the grounds led directly on to the beach where there were more loungers and umbrellas.
There was also a fitness centre and a water sports centre which we did not try.
We used a taxi to take us on a local tour which was great but the car hire place in the hotel was reasonably priced as well.
The Omani people were welcoming and we always felt very safe.
The hotel is very popular in the Summer as it has more rain and cooler temperatures than the rest of the Gulf.
This was a lovely Winter break and I really recommend this little paradise.

Last edited by WelshGirl; Feb 18, 12 at 6:16 am
Old Feb 22, 12, 3:05 pm

Thank you for the review. Where you upgraded to a suite? I have been looking for this hotel for a while due to the very cheap redemption rate, the only reason why I havent booked is that no Star Alliance flights to Salalah.
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
Funny, I just stumbled across this great redemption deal the other day, and I was planning to post it...but you beat me to it!

IMO, 7,500 points/night is a remarkable deal for a property of this quality. Ridiculous, actually. What's more, for the dates I was checking, $177+ was the lowest price per night. $0.027 per HH point is a great value!
Old Feb 29, 12, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kempis View Post
Thank you for the review. Where you upgraded to a suite? I have been looking for this hotel for a while due to the very cheap redemption rate, the only reason why I havent booked is that no Star Alliance flights to Salalah.
These were not suites. The suites were on the opposite side of the building ie without a sea view on our floor.
V nice rooms
Old Jun 21, 12, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I'm thinking of staying here later this year after stumbling across it on the website yesterday looking for cheaper (cash) alternatives to dubai.

When I saw it was cat-1, I thought it must be a mistake!

I have about 22000 HH points at the moment, hoping to double that between now and September thanks to the Q3 promo, so should have enough for 6 nights or so soon

I see exec rooms, but no mention of an exec lounge, does that mean we would get a FULL breakfast at this property?

Also, how likely are we to get a Gold upgrade?

Has anybody stayed here with kids before?

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 12, 5:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Spending a week here as Hilton Gold for points.
Hotel does look pretty modest from the outside, but pool is nice and service, while slow, is decent enough. Quite low occupancy, though.
It's right on the beach, but its public, havent tried swimming yet, there are also often some SUVs offroading on water's edge. Salalah port is pretty close, but no noise or smells from there and I actually like the night view.
As we're travelling with a child, I really appreciate that children's pool is thoughtfully covered with the cotton shade, which keeps at least half of pool in shade during whole day, better work than in Grand Hyatt Dubai, fyi.
There's also a small children's playground outside (not in shade though) and Kids Club, but last one was closed today because of Filipino lady having some "problems" per front desk, whatever it is.
Several Swedish people in the resort, both families and retirees, as there's a direct charter from Stockholm, even Concierge Desk had tour info only in Swedish.

Upgraded to King Suite for 20 OMR (40 EUR) per day. Probably could've got it cheaper, but offered this as first sum in check-in as Hilton website itself offered same upgrade for 25 OMR.
What I hate is really slow internet (only wired in the rooms, I am using Connectify Lite for sharing with other devices, works well). Best speed you can get is 0,25 mb/s download. Free for Golds and Diamonds.
Also I dislike some nickel''n'diming going on, like asking 5 OMR a day for DVD rental, I can buy one from electronics store for 13 OMR. As Gold, negotiated one night for free.
Also resort seems to keep workforce minimal, for example same guy picked us up in airport, brought our bags to the room and told us that he also works as concierge
Shuttle is free from airport, but costs 3 OMR per person to return. Taxi Mafia charges 5 OMR per day to Salalah city.
Got pretty reasonable price from local Dollar car rental, Honda Civic 50 OMR for 3 days, which was better price than online offerings. Again, was too lazy to haggle.
Tomorrow we're gonna drive around check out Crowne Plaza and Marriott, actually both are supposed to be nicer properties, but neither were such steals as Hilton for 7500 points. As bought the points last year from Amex promo, cost out of pocket for suite with breakfast is under 75 EUR per night.
Old Sep 5, 13, 2:00 pm

Pool?

Hi All. I've been in this hotel many times in the past. Nice experience every time but I recall a freezing pool in December...and since the sea it's not always very calm, it can make a big difference. Does anyone have recent experience?
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 6, 13, 1:32 am

Does anyone know if they offer free breakfast for Gold members on redemption nights?
Old Dec 6, 13, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
No experience of this property but it's a stated benefit everywhere else.
Old Dec 6, 13, 4:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
Originally Posted by Tim3112 View Post
Does anyone know if they offer free breakfast for Gold members on redemption nights?
2 year ago they did.
Old Apr 20, 14, 7:18 am

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Excellent Diamond treatment and very good use of rewards on point

Great stay on HH point (5000 points per night) and excellent diamond treatment (upgrade to a large sea view room , welcome gift of arabic sweets, a bottle of Perrier and one of wine) , late check out plus complimentary breakfast and and great assistance from the front desk for organizing visits to the beautiful Salalah region.
Old Jan 3, 16, 1:11 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Staying here on points. 4k per night, this is definitely the best value for points in the world.

Breakfast is great.
The other buffets are not worth it imo.
Most guests are all inclusive or full board guests from Europe (many Germans). Food is pricey and the pizza I had was the worst ever for around 20usd. Taxi in the city is mafia controlled so u pay a minimum of 5 rial for a couple of minutes. We will rent a car. We didn't try the restaurants on-site because the pizza was of such low quality...

Staff is excellent.
We've got upgraded to a nice large room on ground floor. There is heavy construction going on next to the hotel. Our room is quiet. I overheard some conversations from other guest who booked all inclusive trips with travel agencies who were put in rooms facing construction area. They said there were unable to sleep as construction is going on 24hours a day.

If you're holding elite status u won't have to worry about that though.

5 nights here are fine for us... Beach is swimable and beautiful. Pool is not hot but not that cold
Old May 5, 16, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Anyone in addition to cln stayed at the hotel recently? A few questions:

1. Are you able to hear the construction next door from the beach and from your room (even if not near the construction)?
2. What are they building?
3. Any restaurants within walking distance, especially along the beach?
4. Is there much to do in the area, besides just hanging around the hotel?
5. More specifically, I'm interested in possibly visiting next February or March with my wife, precisely because Oman is off the beaten track. Any culturally or scenically things that stand out in the area?
6. What's the city of Salalah itself like?

Thanks for any information!
Old Sep 6, 16, 1:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Can anyone answer Thunderroad's questions?

I'd particularly like to know about other restaurants in the area that are walkable? It doesn't look like it from google maps but things might have changed.

With small kids eating out isn't easy, so we usually get a takeaway and eat on the balcony etc so wondering if that would be possible here?
Old Sep 7, 16, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by goglobalnz View Post
Can anyone answer Thunderroad's questions?

I'd particularly like to know about other restaurants in the area that are walkable? It doesn't look like it from google maps but things might have changed.

With small kids eating out isn't easy, so we usually get a takeaway and eat on the balcony etc so wondering if that would be possible here?
I have a reservation there over Thanksgiving so can provide an update then although not sure if that will be useful or not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: