Search

Hilton Salalah Resort {OMN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
This place is effectively a ghost town and taxis are just daylight robbery.

Airport - Hotel (15km): 10 OMR Fixed ($27)

Hotel - Port (Oasis Club/ 10km): 10 OMR - but gave them five without a say in the matter.

Absolutely nothing within walking distance to the hotel and nothing to see in the immediate area.

Nice rooms, albeit dated, good variety at breakfast, food expensive at the hotel as is alcohol (4.10 OMR / Pint). No atmosphere whatsoever. Great if you like peace and quiet. Staff friendly and good treatment as a Diamond.
Was the 10OMR from the the airport the airport taxi price or the hotel shuttle? Looking at a car rental for 3 days, it'll be close to 60OMR for a SUV and I wouldn't mind paying the 10OMR for a taxi (or even a bit more for a SUV taxi)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Unless you don't plan to leave the hotel, I would advise renting a car, it will give you freedom to move around, eat outside of hotel, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:58 pm

Nice stay

Salalah Hilton

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Salalah Hilton

Sultan Qaboos Street Po Box 699 Salalah, OM 211

Nice stay (10 Photos)

Salalah Hilton

I stayed at the Hilton Salalah in the beginning of Jan 2018 with the family. Before I arrived, I emailed the property about the diamond benefits and if they will extend to both rooms. They confirmed that they would.

This property does not have a lounge, so breakfast was at the buffet. 

Check In

We arrived from SLL airport in the airport taxi (20 OMR per taxi each way) and we were greeted by the bellhops to take the luggage. Check-in took about 5 minutes where we were upgraded from the standard rooms booked at the 5K points per night to rooms with a sea view (both rooms - one was a king bed and other was 2 twins). I was offered the Jr Suite, but it didn't have a view.

Room

The room was decent. Beds were decently comfortable and the usual amenities were offered. One thing I noticed is that they have amenities for the regular guests and for Hilton elites. For instance, when I went to the room, the toiletries were some generic brand, no slippers, robes, etc. When I came back, they swapped out the toiletries for the Peter Thomas Roth, added robes and slippers, and a welcome gift.

IMG_20180104_130610.jpg

IMG_20180104_180345.jpg

IMG_20180104_150458.jpg

Service

As others have mentioned, the service at the hotel is quite good. The staff was friendly and polite. 

Dining

Dining wise, the hotel has a few restaurants on site. The hotel seems to cater mainly to the all-inclusive charter flights from Europe (saw that most of the guests speak Polish, and there are plenty of ads for the Polish tourism companies) so they ate their meals at the restaurant where breakfast is served. Breakfast wise, it was a good buffet with hot and cold choices, egg station, juices, breads, sweets.

We had dinner one night at the restaurant by the pool. Food was fine and service was great. The other night we had dinner at the bar restaurant. Overall there was a good variety of food, and it tasted good but it wasn't amazing. Price wise, it wasn't overly expensive. For happy hour, we had 7 drinks (alcoholic) and a burger and the total came to be around 18OMR. A dinner was about 55OMR for 4 starters, 4 mains, 2 desserts, and a few drinks (alcoholic).

Here is the alcohol offered on the all inclusive package (you can buy it at check-in, but for the selection, I'd rather just buy the better stuff normally)

IMG_20180105_171756.jpg

Location wise, people did mention that you can see the port from the hotel, and that is true. But the beach was nice and big, and quiet. There usually wasn't an issue finding a lounge chair even in the late morning and the grounds were well kept. There isn't anything near the hotel, so if you want to site-see you would either need to rent a car or arrange a taxi or tour. 

IMG_20180105_122344.jpg

IMG_20180105_122348.jpg

IMG_20180105_122354.jpg

IMG_20180105_122528.jpg

IMG_20180104_130652.jpg

IMG_20180105_121950.jpg

Overall

Overall, I enjoyed the property and thought it was a great use of the 5K per night (or even less with the 5th night free). If one was traveling with the family and wanted some days at a resort for cheap, it is a good place to do so.

Nice stay

Would you like to write a review on the Salalah Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:14 pm

Hilton Salalah award category change, now 10k/night.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by aldemar
I thought there was no such thing as award categories anymore and that no hotel's standard redemption would go up?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I thought there was no such thing as award categories anymore and that no hotel's standard redemption would go up?
No, they can increase whenever they want, without any notice. It seems the limit is 95k per night though.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:33 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Oh well, I've been expecting this. Unfortunately I haven't managed to find a good flight deal to SLL yet. 10K is still good.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This hotel seemed very legacy to me.

I think its new category is because the property is hit hard with stays from Eastern Europeans. There's a good few flights from Poland to Oman with the various charter carriers and those that frequent the Polish forums like (Fly4Free) will have figured out its cheaper to book with points than cash.

I recently understood that the properties can lobby Hilton to have the categories changed because they will make the case that the rooms can be sold "better".
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover

I think its new category is because the property is hit hard with stays from Eastern Europeans. There's a good few flights from Poland to Oman with the various charter carriers and those that frequent the Polish forums like (Fly4Free) will have figured out its cheaper to book with points than cash.

I recently understood that the properties can lobby Hilton to have the categories changed because they will make the case that the rooms can be sold "better".
Yeah. Most of the guests when we were there were from Poland or Russia.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Considering new price of tourist visas, Oman is not cheap any more and it's not cheap to get there from some countries. When I was there, there was only one couple from Poland that I heard in common area. Didn't hear many Russians either. Hotel is sold as part of package holiday in Poland.

Anyone visited it recently, how is the new hotel beside Hilton?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover

TBH the vast majority of those Poles flying there on Charters will have booked package holidays so the points changes will mean nothing for them. I accept that the situation will be somewhat different for those who are regulars of fly4free (who will be maxing out the savings from low cost points bookings).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:33 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Delighted that I booked this place for 5k points a month or so back! It'll be 2 nights after a week of roughing it elsewhere, so I'm sure this will be a welcome bit of relative luxury.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:08 pm

Temporarily Shut by cyclone

Anybody stayed there during the cyclone?

http://www.omanobserver.om/mekunu-shuts-salalah-resort/
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Now 20k.

I didn't find a cost-effective way to get here when it was 5k or 10k, not sure I'm going to bother any more.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Anybody stayed there during the cyclone?

http://www.omanobserver.om/mekunu-shuts-salalah-resort/
I just saw your post in price increase thread. What are your impressions of the hotel? I was eyeing it for a year 😁

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.