Hilton Amsterdam {NLD}

Old Feb 3, 00, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Arrow Hilton Amsterdam {NLD}

I am planning a vacation trip to Amsterdam and since I have a lot of HHonors points I would like to stay there. I am especially concerned about its distance from the city center. Is there quick, easy, public transport to the city?
Old Feb 3, 00, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
The Hilton in Amsterdam, as opposed to the airport one, is outside the main ring of canals, but there is good tram service running along the street behind and across a small canal, as well as two blocks away in either direction. I stayed there using a 5-night HHonors certificate, and was upgraded to the Exec floor and had a very pleasant stay. Even got to see the John and Yoko suite. As I am rushing to catch a plane, I cannot give you more details right now, but will try and get online later in the weekend to follow up. I did file a longer report for someone else back in November, so you might check out the search function.
Old Feb 4, 00, 8:44 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000250.html
Old Feb 4, 00, 10:25 pm

Downtown is only about 20-30 minutes to the Airport, so go ahead and stay at a nice hotel downtown.
Old Feb 8, 00, 5:39 pm
Original Member

I agree with shareholder. I was at the Amsterdam Hilton last year. It was a wonderful stay. We were upgraded to a suite, directly across from the John and Yoko suite.

It is about a 3 block walk to the tram stop(apollolan)
and If I remember 2 trams stop there(5,24)

It was very easy to get around via tram.

The hotel staff was very helpful.

You can take public transportation from the airport to the hotel, but a roundtrip on the KLM shuttle bus ran me 30 guilders(just under 14 dollars). I think its a better deal, then the train and a tram to the hotel.By public transport, you could take the train to the WTC station , then catch the number 5 tram to apollolan(about 5 stops). I'd go with the bus.

Once in Amsterdam, I think the trams are the way to get around.

The 2 from the hotel will take you to the heart of Amsterdam. The 5 passes(museumplein and leidesplein(a get place fro nightlife) then goes up Nieuwezids Voorburgwal past spui and Dam on its way to central station. The 24 runs up Damrak on its way to central station.
2 stops on either the 5 or 24(from the hotel) will get you to a connection for the 20(circle tram) The 20 goes to almost every major attraction in Amsterdam.

KLM has a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel with frequent service.

I'd suggest purchasing one of the multi-day tram passes. I think a 4-day pass is 23 Guilders(which is about 11 or 12 dollars).

Tram service is very frequent.

The circle tram(number 20) basically makes a loop around center city making it easy to see all the major sites.
Old Feb 10, 00, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I will probably stay at the Hilton because of my abundance of points in HHonors.
Old Apr 19, 00, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Rewards, if at first....

This morning I tried to reserve a GLON reward stay for October at the Amsterdam Hilton.I was told the dates I wanted were unavailable. Late this afternoon I tried again and got the dates I wanted. Go figure.
Old Jul 11, 01, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Famous dutch singer/artist jumps from Hilton Amsterdam

Famous Dutch rocker and artist Herman Brood commited suicide today by jumping off the top of the Amsterdam Hilton. Brood was a long time drug addict and had recently been in a program to help him stop his addiction. According to a letter found on him, he "had enough of everything".....
Old Oct 4, 02, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1K
Downtown Amsterdam Hilton and Award Changes

I initially made a point-stretcher award reservation at this Hilton. I now have to change the travel dates by one day (arrive/leave a day later). HHonors desk says no room for the new date. Is it worth calling the hotel directly and see if they would move the reservation over by a day?
Old Oct 4, 02, 3:22 pm

Call them and if there off the pointstrecher just pull one more night as 6 nights per point strecher is cheaper than 5 nights at the regular rate
Old Dec 6, 02, 11:20 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Amnsterdam Hilton

A few questions:

Does the KLM bus fron Schiphol go to this hotel?

How good is the club floor?

Does any one know which room John & Yoko held thier bed-in in? Can a HH stay be booked into it.

Thanks in advance
Laguardiaguy
Old Dec 6, 02, 2:09 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Thanks,

Laguardiaguy
Old Dec 6, 02, 6:46 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I think the John and Yoko suite is room 702. I know I had the suite below it last Christmas when there was a party happening above us.

I doubt you can get it on an award as I remember one time hearing it goes for 1000/night. (Maybe that was rack rate?)

The Executive Lounge is on the 10th floor, although I have never had a room on that floor in my stays. The hotel is set up with junior suites (best views of the city) on the north side corners(odd # rooms on north) and larger suites with balconies (view is more of the business district and plane arrivals to Schipol) on the south side corners (even number rooms).

The Executive lounge is open in the evening from 5-10PM. Nice views, but only a couple of couches and the rest of the seats are small rectangular tables with chairs. It is nice for a 30-40 minute visit, but I don't find it an inviting environment for hanging out; a bit too staid. The staff are nice. I generally stop in for a drink and snack before heading into town for a little more excitement.

[This message has been edited by satori (edited 12-06-2002).]
Old Dec 10, 02, 2:22 pm

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
Note that the Amsterdam Hilton is a bit out of town compared to e.g. Starwood's Pulitzer and Mariott Amsterdam

(otherwise Amsterdam Hilton is an EXCELLENT hotel (I spend > 100 nights there....) with a high standard and very helpful staff. very regular guests / Diamond VIPs used to get a bottle of champagne at checkin )
Old Dec 10, 02, 3:05 pm

Thanks all for the info.

Actually I'm not sure if it will be practical for us to stay there.

We are a family of three and the awards desk says they can't book a room for two adults and one toddler. Confusingly they will book a double and put in a request for a rollaway.

However Hilton.com will not accept a res for two adults and one child.

BTW I've spoken to three agents all of whom give different answers and I can't imagine the hotel forcing a family of three to get two rooms.

Wierd.

Do you know the Email address of the hotel (its not on thier website) so I get with them direct.

Thanks
Laguardiaguy

Search this Thread
Search Engine: