Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:47 pm

I have stayed at both the Schipol and the Amsterdam Hilton. I found the latter to be much better as the rooms I got as Gold was huge and the panoramic view from the lounge is quite stunning.The tram was only a short walk away and the museums were also within walking distance. As far as airport bus is concerned, avoid it if you are in a rush as it may quite easily be late or have no space in it but the stop in front of the hotel is very convenient. The grounds are open and not as stifling as the Crowne Plaza downtown.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
The Airport shuttle is great for going to the Hilton because it is usually the first hotel stop. The ride is usually only about 20-25 minutes.

The shuttle costs 10.50 Euro OW or 19.00 for RT.

Leaving the AMS Hilton for the airport is not as convenient because the hotel is one of the first stops and you have to ride the shuttle all over the city for pick-ups before it leaves for the airport.
The ride can be an hour to the airport.

Taxis are about 35 Euro to the airport.

I prefer to just get the tram to Centraal Station, about 1 Euro, and take the train to Schiphol for 3.10 Euro. As long as I don't have too much luggage the train and tram are a simple option with the least amount of waiting, when you can't afford a taxi.

Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:45 pm

Annoyances at Hilton Amsterdam

Recently stayed there on a one-night award stay after a business trip. Got upgraded as a gold to a higher floor, that was fine, nice view.

1. In room movies did not work after getting charged
2. In room web e-mail did not work after getting charged.
3. In room web internet access did not work after getting charged.
4. In room on-screen check-out did not work, had to go to desk
5. Less than impressive offerings at the snack bar in the executive lounge on the top floor (nice view though). Of course I had just come from the Hilton Prague where food choice was outstanding so I was spoiled. No high speed internet access in the lounge.

I called to have charges for #1-3 removed from my bill right after I saw everything was broken, they agreed, next AM I checked out and they said "no charge" so I didn't hang around for a receipt. Now have charges for #1-3 on bill I am supposed to fight with the hotel to get removed, according to Hilton Honors line.

Anyone else have less than a stellar experience there?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:00 am

Programs: LH Senator, HH Gold
Hi there

I've stayed there in November 03. 3 rooms / 2 nights for friends and myself. No problem whatsoever. I have to admit that I did not try the online stuff / movie channels. But in general I had a very nice experience. Staff was very responsive and check-in was not easy as I booked a mixture of paid and reward rooms. If I could say something less nice than it comes to the size of the Exec lounge. Some mornings it was almost impossible to get a clean desk for breakfast. Staff is doing everything they can, but the size of the lounge in comparison to the size of the hotel is simply too small .. nevertheless ... nice views over Amsterdam and I would stay there again.

Regards Hans
Old May 3, 2004, 11:01 am

Way, way, way OT...

To expand on Athena53's post, not only is the AMS Hilton notable for being the site of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's honeymoon and for its mention in "The Ballad of John and Yoko" (credited to the Beatles of course, but upon which only John and Paul perform), it was also the site of John and Yoko's first "bed-in" for peace during said honeymoon. Apparently they stayed in Room 902 of the hotel (the Presidential Suite, natch).

I heard that Room 902 was turned into a museum of sorts by the hotel after John was murdered, but is still let out to guests. Can anyone confirm this, or has anyone stayed in that room?

If it is still used as a room, there's no question about what room I will ask to be upgraded too if I ever find myself staying there...

EWC
Old May 3, 2004, 11:14 am

Never Mind...

Just did some checking, and the answer is yes -- it is still let. In fact, according to the hotel website, the suite is now known as the "John and Yoko Suite." Yoko herself apparently consulted on a recent renovation of the space...

Pictures of the suite are on the hotel's website from Hilton.com.

Just FYI.

EWC
Old Jul 18, 2004, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs up Nice Stay at AMS Hilton

I just returned from a very pleasant stay at this hotel.

I arrived from my US flight shortly after 8... and made my way to the hotel by around 9am. The hotel had my room set and upgraded me to a canal-view room on the 8th floor (non-smoking.) As a Diamond, I was also invited to have breakfast in the tiny 10th floor lounge ...and induldge in early evening appetizers and cocktails there. I was also offered free admission to the spa/healthclub facillity located next-door to the hotel.

The room was well decorated albeit small ...and offered a great view of the canal and the city. WiFi access is now available throughout the hotel ...although I opted to leave my notebook behind for this visit for pleasure to the land of tulips.

I found this location to be outstanding; it's a quick $38US tax-ride to/from the airport... and just a 15 minute walk from major sights and shops. The neighberhood the hotel is in is quiet and upscale; large mansion homes line the canal that the Hilton is against.

And as a special treat, the Manager recognized my Diamond status ...and had a bottle of Grand Marnier and some delicious chocolates and bonbons sent up to my room. Induldging in those treats was a nice way to end a day of roaming the city on foot.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
NOOOOO!!!! Search Down Again & Amsterdam

Ackkkk! The search function is down again, it sounds like for the foreseeable future.

Thus, can someone re-post the way to search FT via google? I promise to bookmark it this time.

And/or...

Hubby and I are thinking of going to Amsterdam in early May. Award stays are available at the Amsterdam Hilton but I would like to find recent info and comments on the hotel and day trips from Amsterdam. If you can post links to threads on the subject or contribute any info/comments you have, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I can only comment on the hotel: very good. Located away from the center of town but a nice walk there, or you can take the tram a block away. Lots of restaurant are walking distance (15 min). Nice view of one of the canals, or residential area. Lounge is on top of the building with nice views. I enjoyed the service there a lot with descent breakfast, snacks later in the day and a good selection of drinks (open bar). The rooms are modern and well appointed.

Highly recomended!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

See if this helps:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=Amsterdam
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=Amsterdam
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Jassy-50: try this also.

Missing Search is frustrating! It seemed to be working much better, even hitting on three-letter searches. I'm sorry they couldn't leave us with what they had, until they perfected it...
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:27 pm

Hilton Amsterdam 1) High Speed Internet?? 2) Priceline.com Upgrades 3)Tram closest

Ok, please help. Diamond member here, but got a gread deal on Priceline.com.

Questions:
1) Does the hotel have high speed internet (have a laptop with a built-in wireless card). Called the hotel 3x, and three different answers -- one no, other ISDN, which my laptop does not support, and the last yes, wireless -- if so, is it available in all rooms

2) Great deal on Priceline.com Anyone had any success with room upgrades or Club access when showing Diamond card??

3) Which tramlines are closest to walk, and how minutes walking, for trams to Central Station, via Leidseplein.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:09 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Trip report - Hilton Amsterdam

I spent one night here on business, inconveniently staying here rather than where the business meeting was so that I could check this hotel out for a futute leisure visit with Mrs Travel the World.

The hotel is modern, with tidy and typical Hilton rooms (I've certainly stayed in smaller )

The Club Lounge is on the roof (10th floor) and has great views. I was upgraded to a room on the Exec Floor 8th/9th (as Hhonors Diamond) and given lounge access, the usual bottle of water, and a small bottle of Countrieu and a few chocolates; comp breakfast in lounge was OK and there were healthy snacks and drinks in the evening.

The staff seemed nice, all spoke English.

The hotel is a little way out of the city centre (walkable), but was in a nice area, with a canal running along the back. Taxi from the airport expensive, compared to trains/underground/trams, but the hotel isn't that close to a station/stop.

I'd certainly consider it for a weekend break.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Yes, hotel has wireless high speed internet. You pay by the 1/2 hour, hour or day.

I don't know about lounge access for Priceline stays, but lounge was freely offered for Gold on award stay.

Use the Tram 16 from Central Station, it is the closest, 2nd stop after the Mueumplein and 1 1/2 blocks. You can also take the number 5 from Leidseplein, but a bit further walk. The 24 also comes close, but didn't take it.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:23 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by Travel The World
The hotel is a little way out of the city centre (walkable), but was in a nice area, with a canal running along the back. Taxi from the airport expensive, compared to trains/underground/trams, but the hotel isn't that close to a station/stop.
The airport hotel shuttle bus stops right beside the hotel. Have used this in the past to and from the airport. I think there are two different routes, which run about every half hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.