Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Carolina, USA {US-SC}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Carolina, USA {US-SC}

Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Thanks again. Now I'm really torn between the two....
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by choptliva
Thanks again. Now I'm really torn between the two....
You shouldn't be. Don't fall for the lies posted above which suggest that the ES Historic District is an acceptable place to stay. Do yourself a favor and stay at the DT.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
It still depends

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU
You shouldn't be. Don't fall for the lies posted above which suggest that the ES Historic District is an acceptable place to stay. Do yourself a favor and stay at the DT.

If you are any way a History buff then the Embassy Suites is a must stay. Did you know that the Citadel cadets fired the first shots of the Civil War? From a battery at Battery Park at the Star of the West. If you are in Charleston for the Slave Market and shopping then it is the DT.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DT is the nicer hotel. Better location too. I also like the non-HH Mills House for location and restaurant. Many local pols frequent the lovely bar. One can overhear some interesting conversations.

MisterNice
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold
The Doubletree definitely has a better location for downtown Charleston restaurants and shopping, etc. It is right across from the old slave market. However, the last time I stayed there (about a year ago) it could have used a little updating, but still the service was good and I got four coupons for their full hot breakfast buffet. I have never stayed at the Embassy Suites in question although I have passed by it many times. I understand it's layout is unique in that they tried to work around the existing, historic Citadel floor plan. Maybe that is why some people consider it dark and dingy? I imagine it would be very interesting if you are a history (or possibly architecture?) buff.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by dapastaguy
If you are any way a History buff then the Embassy Suites is a must stay. Did you know that the Citadel cadets fired the first shots of the Civil War? From a battery at Battery Park at the Star of the West. If you are in Charleston for the Slave Market and shopping then it is the DT.
I wouldn't care if the South won the War and the peace treaty was signed there, the Embassy Suites is a dark, dreary place which could be infinitely depressing no matter how little time you spent there. Go with the advice NOT to stay there. The Doubletree has a great location next to the Market and wonderful restaurants in walking distance....BUT some of the rooms are a little past their prime. So request their new courtyard building, constructed about 2002-3. They have quite lovely rooms there.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
Whoa Nellie

Originally Posted by VA747
I wouldn't care if the South won the War and the peace treaty was signed there, the Embassy Suites is a dark, dreary place which could be infinitely depressing no matter how little time you spent there. Go with the advice NOT to stay there. The Doubletree has a great location next to the Market and wonderful restaurants in walking distance....BUT some of the rooms are a little past their prime. So request their new courtyard building, constructed about 2002-3. They have quite lovely rooms there.
Let's not get personal here - I am a Yankee born and raised so don't start that nonsense about the south winning yada, yada, yada. Just because you hold a grudge against the confederacy is no reason not to stay at the ES. All I am saying is that both hotels have their appeal and it is up to the traveler to decide which to stay at. If shopping is what you are after then go downtown to the DT, history buff (maybe a Civil War reinactor) then stay at the ES
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:03 pm

Chalreston

I spend a lot of time in Chalreston for business and have stayed at all the hilton hotels in the central district and the Hilton just outside of downtown.
I go back to the DT for several reason
Much closer to my office
Most of the action is near this hotel.
Parking is an issue in the whole downtown. Valet and self parking are available.
The Embassy puts you closer to the schools and is about 5 block from the DT, which can brutal in the summer in the heat.

Issue I have with the DT is the resturant is borning for breakfest, same old every day! Go somewhere else--Charleston Place, Planters Inn.

No Bar or dinner.

The hotel is being remodeling and there are many version of there rooms.
Some are older and some are brand new.
Some are double room (Living and Bed)
Some are one large room
Some are one small one!
Same are two floors?!?

Hotel is quiet in all the rooms I have had. But I like the rooms in the rear as they are the newest but they above the baquet hall and may have noise at times.

Bonus--The COOKIES are always awesome at check in

Let me know if you any more questions about the city
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:16 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Thanks to all who replied to my original request for insights.
Finishing up a stay at the ES. Picked the ES over the DT for budgetary and location (proximity to my conference) reasons.
The room I have is brightly lit enough. Lighting is more than sufficient, and I seldom need to turn on all the lights. Room is spacious, and clean. Free wireless internet in room. Pool is small, and exercise room has a total of 2 treadmill and yucky looking weight station. But it's functional.
Free b-fast is decent.
Service personnel is friendly and courteous.
Location is actually not too bad. A couple blocks from the visitor center. And I can walk to most things in the Historic District.
Overall, a good stay.
If you're going, make sure you don't get a room on the 1st floor. Too much noise, and too close to the park thing -- it's like you're on display. I'm on the 3rd floor, and it's quite pleasant.
Thanks again to everyone.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn near Patriot's Point? My wife's family lives up that way and we used to stay at the Hilton before it closed down. Is it one of the frightening HIs or a basic one?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: HH, MR, Delta, UA
^ Had a stay there just over a month ago when visiting Patriots Point area. You have nothing to worry about with this HI, it was well maintained and staff was very helpful. In comparison to other HI's I would rate this in the upper 10%. It is kind of hidden from the freeway so make sure you keep your eyes open as soon as you cross the new suspension bridge.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:20 pm

Thanks much, Maestro-Miler! And let me be the first to welcome you to Flyer Talk!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Maestro-Miler
the new suspension bridge.
It's a cable-stay bridge, not a suspension bridge (e.g. Golden Gate).

Sorry, but I was part of the main Contractor's senior management team for the bridge.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:49 am

Homewood Suites, Mt. Pleasant

I stayed here for the past three nights, so here's a review.

The room: Standard HS variety with mini-kitchen, living area, two TVs, and King bedroom. Vanity area and sink was located in the bedroom with a separate room for toilet and shower. Each room had a decent cable selection, though no in-room movies. There was a VCR, though, and you could rent tapes near the front desk for $3.50/night.

The grounds: Had a small outdoor pool with whirlpool (didn't use it because it was too cold, though it was open) with a nice park-like area around the pool. Our room was located on the far side of the hotel, so we were able to drive around to another entrance to better get in and out of the room. The lobby was nice with free internet terminals there (and a printer in the business office).

Food: We stayed over the weekend (Fri-Mon), so there was no dinner. However, the breakfast was very good: waffles you could make, eggs, ham, biscuits, gravy, donuts (which they sometimes had available throughout the day), yogurt, cereal, grits, oatmeal, breads (with toaster), etc. There was no restaurant in the hotel, of course, but there were plenty nearby (see below).

Location: The hotel is located in Mt. Pleasant, about a 10 minute drive over the new bridge into downtown Charleston. What surprised us the most was how great the area around our hotel was! Within walking distance, you could get to a Target, a Piggly Wiggly (supermarket), and other assorted stores. There were also about 4 or 5 decent looking restaurants, including a coffeehouse/bakery, Japanese sushi/steakhouse, Italian restaurant, Seafood restaurant (Gilligans), Irish pub, and more. My wife's family is from the area and she said that it was all swampland about 5 years ago!

HHonors Amenities: I get the 250 bonus points, so I can't attest for much (though I wasn't sure if I had asked for points or not and the front desk let me talk two bottles of water anyway. I did ask for an upgrade, but was told the rooms were all the same. This probably wasn't entirely true (in fact, I know they had two-bedroom suites available), but I let it go.

The Terrible Front-Desk Staff: So the property was fine, except for the staff. On the first night, someone from the front desk came into our room unannouced. "Sorry," she said, leaving, "I show this room as being vacant." She then called us to ask our name. The next morning, I complained and asked to see the manager. She apologized, but didn't offer me anything (aside from a promise to yell at the person who did it). On the third night, our key didn't work and I had to get it recoded at the front desk - which they did without asking me for ID or anything!

Overall, the staff wouldn't be enough to keep me away from this place. It was a good location and a good room for a decent price (about $130 a night for the weekend, $100 for the weeknight).

Last edited by Uniter; Feb 27, 2007 at 9:56 am
Old May 5, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Embassy Suites Vs Hilton North Myrtle Beach

Anyone have any recent experiences with these 2 properties? Was looking for a 4 day point stay. Does Embassy suites give breakfast coupons for diamonds? Also trying to find out what is the best "code" for a 4 night stay? We do have an american express card. Diamond desk didnt seem to think there was a point advantage for 4 nights, but I thought there was. Just dont know how to get it. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.