Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New Orleans Airport {US-LA}

Hilton New Orleans Airport {US-LA}

Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:23 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Stay report 2/21/2016

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, Sunday 2/21/2016, after arriving late on a flight.

Location: Hasn't changed. I called the hotel's number and pressed 2 for the airport shuttle, and after 6 rings got a message that the voice mail box had not been set up. Called back and pressed 0 which dispatched the shuttle. It arrived in about 15 minutes, and the ride over to the hotel took about 2 minutes.

Check-In: I was recognized as a diamond member and offered 2 bottles of water. I was not given an upgrade above my booked 1 king bed room ($103 AAA rate). I'm not sure if there are upgraded rooms here, other than the Presidential Suite which I walked by on my way to my room. There are 6 floors and I was on the 6th.

Room: Still looks roughly the same as the pictures from a few years ago. It was generally clean. The bathroom was small and had one sink and a combination tub/shower.

Breakfast: Breakfast for diamonds is the full buffet in the hotel restaurant on the 1st floor. The front desk advised showing my special colored room key to get breakfast, hence no paper vouchers. The breakfast area looks the same as in the prior photos. Eggs are cooked to order but in my case there was nobody at the station, so they had to retrieve someone from the back. Hot items included some pre-made egg and cheese biscuits that were obviously dried out, along with biscuits, pancakes, bacon, sausage, roasted potatoes with peppers and onions, and grits. Cold items were the usual spread. At the end of breakfast I was given a bill for $19 with "Diamond" written on it, to be charged to the house account. Given the cooked-to-order egg station and other selections, the $19 was somewhere between a fair price and a tad high.

Smoke Odors: This unfortunately deserves its own section. When I arrived I noticed a moderately strong smell of deodorizer and stale smoke in the room. The smell was actually stronger in the bathroom, and when I tracked it down, it was the bath towels, both of which stunk badly of cigarette smoke. I was too tired to complain and switch rooms, but did ask upon checkout if this room was recently converted from smoking (they said no, and there was a sign on the 6th floor indicating the entire floor was non-smoking). However, I was dissatisfied with this because it was obvious to me that housekeeping tried to cover up the odor with the deodorizer, and the extremely smelly bath towels were obviously noticeable.

Noise: I did not hear noise from airplanes, adjoining rooms, or the hallway. However, I did hear several trains throughout the night.

Internet: 5.86 Mbps down, 5.85 Mbps up. Much better than most properties where I've stayed.

The Verdict: Smoking is apparently allowed in parts of this hotel, but it's most concerning that management allows housekeeping to try to cover it up without sufficiently deep cleaning it to remove the odors, and they don't keep the linens separate between smoking and non-smoking rooms. Therefore, I will DEFINITELY NOT stay at this hotel again.

Last edited by kpbadger; Feb 22, 2016 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kpbadger
The Verdict: Smoking is apparently allowed in parts of this hotel, but it's most concerning that management allows housekeeping to try to cover it up without sufficiently deep cleaning it to remove the odors, and they don't keep the linens separate between smoking and non-smoking rooms. Therefore, I will DEFINITELY NOT stay at this hotel again.
That's unfortunate and I definitely can't blame you for looking elsewhere. The Doubletree MSY is pretty nice and would most likely work for your next stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.