Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Elara, Hilton Grand Vacations - Center Strip {US-NV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elara, Hilton Grand Vacations - Center Strip {US-NV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:07 pm
cjd

The booking site for the hotel now states: "Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Guest Internet access; domestic long distance calls (30 min per day max); DVD Now w/unlimited movies; 2 Starbucks coffees or 2 16oz bottles of water per day; 1-800/Local Calls." Looking at the room rates, it's $25 plus tax. Most disappointing as it it includes very little of value. Who wants domestic long distance calls these days when everyone has mobiles? Internet access was always complimentary for Honors members. Don't think I've ever watched a DVD whilst on holiday, especially in Vegas!! As Diamond, used to get 2 bottles of water upon check in, now it looks like it's daily, but for $25!!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Shame. I really liked that property. Used to stay there preferentially once the Flamingo HGVC started price skyrocketing.

Maybe it's all a grand conspiracy to make the upcoming Waldorf LV look more relatively affordable? 😜

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
The booking site for the hotel now states: "Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Guest Internet access; domestic long distance calls (30 min per day max); DVD Now w/unlimited movies; 2 Starbucks coffees or 2 16oz bottles of water per day; 1-800/Local Calls." Looking at the room rates, it's $25 plus tax. Most disappointing as it it includes very little of value. Who wants domestic long distance calls these days when everyone has mobiles? Internet access was always complimentary for Honors members. Don't think I've ever watched a DVD whilst on holiday, especially in Vegas!! As Diamond, used to get 2 bottles of water upon check in, now it looks like it's daily, but for $25!!
As you mentioned as HH Gold I got internet anyhow. Very little "value" here! Even the Starbuck's coffee is a joke, the last time I was there they had coffee in the room and as I recall it was Starbucks fwiw. I also have to assume that this does not apply to HGVC owners, if so I would love here from some who recently got hit with this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I normally just stay at a Total Rewards property in Vegas now as the resort fee is waived for TR Diamonds. When I do stay at a Hilton property, it is normally the Embassy Suites near the convention center. Shuttle service to the monorail and a couple other spots makes it close enough to the action for me plus the breakfast and managers special at night. I believe they started charging for parking but I never get a rental there so don't worry about that.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:48 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I echo Nomad 420
They took the only reason to not stay elsewhere and killed the Golden Goose
I will never be back for any reason that I could possibly think of.I would even choose the Renaissance over them great benefits as a Marriott Platinum Premier excellent elite benefits and recognition
With no HH breakfast benefit or meaningful recognition of any kind like upgrades you would have to be a fool to stay there IMHO sure you could do a lot worse in Las Vegas
Its actually the perfect hotel for those with no elite status and 0 expectation except top get what they pay for and then it makes sense
If I do pay the resort fee it would be at the Waldorf Las Vegas.
At least for getting ripped off its a premium experience and there have been reports of a breakfast benefit and upgrades making it a no brainer for the difference in cost typically
Alternatively MGM properties with M life status or IHG Venetian Palazzo with elite status etc
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
So I have a scenario where the Elara makes sense, I think. I go to an annual meeting at Planet Hollywood, but don't like to stay there. Last few years we've been at Cosmopolitan across the blvd, collecting Marriott points and not much else. Here at Elara, there's Hilton points and not much else, sounds like (never been to Elara).

Still, it's probably the same distance as Cosmo, I get some rewards points, and Elara is on the resorts list, so the Aspire resort credit factors in. Given the credit, staying at Elara looks to be more than $600 less than Cosmopolitan for comparable rooms (the stupid resort fee is less, too).

I imagine Cosmo has a cooler vibe, and it has many food choices (like the great Wicked Spoon), but there's a substantial savings, especially since we don't spend that much time in the hotel. And Platinums at Cosmo don't really get any benefits, so it compares to Diamonds not getting upgrades at Elara.

Any thoughts, fellow FTers?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by daloosh
So I have a scenario where the Elara makes sense, I think. I go to an annual meeting at Planet Hollywood, but don't like to stay there. Last few years we've been at Cosmopolitan across the blvd, collecting Marriott points and not much else.
I used to spend a lot of time at Planet Hollywood (even got married there) and I've stayed at both of these hotels exactly once (king one bedroom suite at Elara vs. Terrace Studio at Cosmo.) I love the Cosmo, but for $600 I wouldn't have an issue with staying at Elara especially if you're not in your room much.

Elara is a full block off the Strip, so Cosmo is a better location if you plan to walk around the Strip much. IMO walking through the Miracle Mile mall can be a pain when it's crowded, which is a drawback to Elara. Though at least it's air conditioned if you're there during the summer.

Cosmo definitely has a better pool and on-site food options, and it's a much more hip vibe. But Elara has kitchenettes if that is important/useful to you.

To me the worst part of Elara was the attempted time-share pitch at check-in. They didn't want to take no for an answer.

Since you're Marriott elite, have you thought about the Marriott Grand Chateau?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

So I have a scenario where the Elara makes sense, I think. I go to an annual meeting at Planet Hollywood, but don't like to stay there. Last few years we've been at Cosmopolitan across the blvd, collecting Marriott points and not much else. Here at Elara, there's Hilton points and not much else, sounds like (never been to Elara).

Still, it's probably the same distance as Cosmo, I get some rewards points, and Elara is on the resorts list, so the Aspire resort credit factors in. Given the credit, staying at Elara looks to be more than $600 less than Cosmopolitan for comparable rooms (the stupid resort fee is less, too).

I imagine Cosmo has a cooler vibe, and it has many food choices (like the great Wicked Spoon), but there's a substantial savings, especially since we don't spend that much time in the hotel. And Platinums at Cosmo don't really get any benefits, so it compares to Diamonds not getting upgrades at Elara.

I suppose it wont be a secret much longer but the Waldorf Astoria blows them all out of the water
An ex Mandarin Oriental property with a sensational breakfast
If you pay with points no resort fee and breakfast allowance is included and likely some kind of upgrade depend in status and availability
I've stayed there weekdays as low as 225 per night plus resort fee
And Elara is tighter than a rats ### on upgrades likely never again
The quality of the Waldorf blows all of the choices away except Cosmo which has good rooms and suites but everything else is bad IMHO unless you like the mobs which I did when I was younger

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 17, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
To me the worst part of Elara was the attempted time-share pitch at check-in. They didn't want to take no for an answer.

Since you're Marriott elite, have you thought about the Marriott Grand Chateau?
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I've stayed there weekdays as low as 225 per night plus resort fee
And Elara is tighter than a rats ### on upgrades likely never again
The quality of the Waldorf blows all of the choices away except Cosmo which has good rooms and suites but everything else is bad IMHO unless you like the mobs which I did when I was younger
Thank you both very kindly! Yeah, there is the time share pitch annoyance, but with the number of telemarketing calls I get, I'm getting good practice at no.

The Grand Chateau was not on my radar as it was across the street, but I realize it's not that far. The meeting I attend is in the summer, so I was thinking the walk thru MM would be an interesting change from walking outside from Cosmo or Bellagio.

Recently I have been considering the Waldorf, but Aria and WA were just outside my radar for walking also. None of them are that far, but I like to pop back into the room during the day to fetch something or rest, so Cosmo is pretty convenient. Of course, for all the hotels, I have to hike from the room to outside before walking to PH, so that adds a couple blocks to the trip.

Neither Cosmo, nor it seems Elara, give elites upgrades, so they are pretty even there. And Cosmo and WA are pretty similar pricewise, for the summer dates I'm looking at, about $1400-1500 for four nites. So Elara continues to win on price, is a little better in distance/commute, and loses on ambiance and upgrade potential.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

Thank you both very kindly! Yeah, there is the time share pitch annoyance, but with the number of telemarketing calls I get, I'm getting good practice at no.

The Grand Chateau was not on my radar as it was across the street, but I realize it's not that far. The meeting I attend is in the summer, so I was thinking the walk thru MM would be an interesting change from walking outside from Cosmo or Bellagio.

Recently I have been considering the Waldorf, but Aria and WA were just outside my radar for walking also. None of them are that far, but I like to pop back into the room during the day to fetch something or rest, so Cosmo is pretty convenient. Of course, for all the hotels, I have to hike from the room to outside before walking to PH, so that adds a couple blocks to the trip.

Neither Cosmo, nor it seems Elara, give elites upgrades, so they are pretty even there. And Cosmo and WA are pretty similar pricewise, for the summer dates I'm looking at, about $1400-1500 for four nites. So Elara continues to win on price, is a little better in distance/commute, and loses on ambiance and upgrade potential.
Just a few data points Cosmo gives Plats a 2 PM check out and a one category upgrade from the room you book
nothing to write home about and also some meager bonus points or a small dollar amount toward F&B
Its stingy Waldorf is way more generous
Don't forget that Waldorf has a connecting passage way through The very upscale Shops at Crystal which takes you right into Aria and not too far from that Cosmo
daloosh likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:12 pm

I bought a pkg from Hilton that grants me 3 nights if I listened to a timeshare sales pitch.

What benefits can I expect as a diamond member? ( Breakfast?) should I select a different property? T
Old May 10, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kaiotes
I bought a pkg from Hilton that grants me 3 nights if I listened to a timeshare sales pitch.

What benefits can I expect as a diamond member? ( Breakfast?) should I select a different property? T
No breakfast for Diamonds. No upgrades. "We never give free upgrades"!
Old May 10, 2019, 7:20 am

What alternate property would one recommend that is in a good location and give diamond benefits?
Old May 10, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kaiotes
What alternate property would one recommend that is in a good location and give diamond benefits?
With that package I am not sure any of the alternative Vegas location will give breakfast / upgrades. Even given all of this the Elara is a nice property, I have stayed there 3 times recently and have always liked the place.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE

What did you end up deciding on? I have a conference this fall at the PH. Rates are $209/night there, similar to Bellagio for the same days. I wasn't impressed with the PH rooms (or anything) last time I went to this conference. I hold Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, & MLife Gold if that matters.

Last edited by ralphs; Jun 13, 2019 at 11:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.