Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Old Aug 16, 01, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Anybody stayed at Scandic (new partner)?

I see that Hilton has just bought out the Scandic chain, 150 or so European properties, and they will be coming on-line with hhonors this year.

Has anyone stayed at one of these and care to give a report? I've got an itch to go to Helsinki next year, and see that while there is no Hilton property there, I could cash in some points with a Scandic there. It appears that nearly any stay in Helsinki could be expensive, otherwise.

JP
Old Apr 30, 02, 11:34 am

Scandic Hotels now available for award stays

I just booked 2 nights at the Scandic Webers hotel in central Copenhagen on an award stay for 17,500 points (opportunity level). I was amazed at how reasonable this was. Anyone familiar with this hotel?
Old Apr 30, 02, 11:41 am

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Let me know how you like it there. I am hoping to make the trip to Denmark later this year and would love to find a good place to stay in Copenhagen which accepts HHonors points.
Old Apr 30, 02, 12:26 pm
Community Director

Both the Helsinki Simonketta and Tallinn Hotel Palace are available in July on Opportunity Awards at 10,000 points/night. I was surprised, as this is the peak tourist season for this area, and these hotels are considered top hotels.

I checked a number of Hilton hotels around the world for upcoming travel, comparing both the cost if I paid for a room, and the points I'd have to spend to get a free room. The two Scandic properties I mentioned above were by far better value in terms of point/money ratio than the Conrad Hong Kong or the Gatwick Hilton, for example.

[This message has been edited by SanDiego1K (edited 04-30-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 02, 1:27 pm
Community Director

With the addition of Scandic Hotels to the Hilton Hhonors program, I'm beginning to see comments and questions about individual properties. It might be useful to have one thread to collect this information. I'll start.

1) Helsinki, Finland: Scandic Simonkentta - hotel is an excellent location, by the city bus station and walking distance from the train station. It was an easy 15 to 20 minute walk to the harbor.

We stayed on an award stay, and my Diamond status did not give me a room upgrade. The room was small but very well designed - reminded me somewhat of a ship's cabin. The shower was a corner of the bathroom with a plastic curved panel that pulled out into the room - worked great! Breakfast was extensive, and included. The entire lobby is a bar/cafe area with lots of windows - very welcoming and pleasant.

Our Diamond amenities were a fruit bowl - an orange and an apple - and two small bottles of water. If we had been on a paid stay, we would have gotten a credit toward food. We were well content with the property despite the small room.

2) Tallinn, Estonia: Scandic Palace - best hotel location in town except for an expensive property owned by the Parkconsul that is actually in Old Town. The Scandic Palace faces the Old Town; the only downside is that it is on a busy, noisy street, and has no outdoor cafe (common throughout the old town, btw). It was a 5 minute walk to the trendy Pegasus Cafe and a 10 minute walk into the heart of Old Town.

We were upgraded to a large room overlooking the old town. It had a sofa and two chairs, so was what some properties call a junior suite. It had no air conditioning, and the room was very noisy with the windows open. Again, our Diamond amenties were one bottle of Evian and an apple and orange. Internet was free for the first hour - not sure how they calculate, because we were never charged, even when both of us used the internet a couple times a day.

Breakfast was included, was perfectly adequate although not as extensive as Helsinki. There was a lobby bar, with lots of cigarette smokers. Again, we were well content with our stay.
Old Jul 11, 02, 2:44 pm

Scandic St Jörgen Malmö, Sweden

This Scandic hotel is located in the heart of Malmo, just a few minutes walk from the central station(If you come in by train from CPH).

I did book a single room which was very small. Please note this if you consider to stay more then one person since the room is very small.

They didnt treat Hhonors Gold good. I did get the 50SEK voucher but didnt get any upgrade(the hotel wasnt ful at all) and didnt get any fruit and water on the room.

Breakfast was included just like most hotels in Scandinavia and you dont need to leave hungry since the breakfast is big and typical scandinavian.

The hotel has a nice restaurant with also an outdoor part which is bascilly right one of the buzy walking streets. Very nice during the summer but this section is closed during the winther.
Old Jul 11, 02, 4:21 pm

Programs: SK*G
Stadshotellet, Kalmar, Sweden

Not a very big hotel. I had just recieved my gold status with Hilton. When asked about my status I said "gold". Although I was unable to substantiate this in any way (no card recieved, no access to the HHonors database), I recieved SEK50 vouchers for all the days of my stay as well as water, fruit etc. No upgrade - I didn't even ask for it since I knew the hotel was fully booked (I was transfered to a non-smoking room 1 hour before departing from ARN). I appreciated them believing in me, though.

Located in a calm, quiet part of town, yet only a few minutes walk to pubs, resturants etc (not that there are that many in Kalmar... )

Breakfast included, and as kempis wrote - you don't have to leave the hotel on an empty stomach!

The room was not big, but recently renovated. Lots of bright, wooden details. I have stayed at this property earlier, and got larger, but much more worn down rooms.
Old Jul 11, 02, 5:00 pm

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium
Scandic Anglais Stockholm SWEDEN.

Checked out today: Very nice location, Stureplan, I would say best neighboorhood in Stockholm. Shoppping, restaurants, bars, the sea.

Rates: lower end of Stockholm-pricing

Rather old rooms, but ok, windows could not open (a/c), good view over stureplan (5th floor), noise from street, nice outdoor bar.
No tub, soap and shampoo bottles are replaced by two big bottles on the wall, one of them with a SOAP sign and one of them SHAMPOO and SHOWER GEL, IMHO it contained exactly the same soap...

Staff friendly, but not very skilled (but seemed proud to be a part of Hilton now).

They had lot of problems with the hh registration.
First they told me my number was invalid (eventhough they got all my personal info from the number) and when I showed proof, they said they had many problems with hh accounts.
So they would sent an email to hh instead of registering online (?) (hope I will see my points some day) ..

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 07-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 08-07-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 02, 5:19 pm

Programs: SK*G
Longhauler: I have had the exact same problems as you with regards to registering. I learned from HHonors/Sweden that there is no live connection between the Scandic systems and the HHonors system. Personal info submitted into HHonors does not show - you will have to register a Scandic profile and link it to an existing HHonors account. Maybe it is from a previous Scandic stay that they got your personal information?
Old Jul 12, 02, 3:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johanmm:
Longhauler: I have had the exact same problems as you with regards to registering. </font>
Johanmm, Did the points show up ? if yes after how many days ?
Old Jul 15, 02, 1:44 pm

Still no sign of my scandic points..
Old Jul 15, 02, 6:19 pm

Any suggestions on the best Scandic property to stay at in Copenhagen?
Old Jul 16, 02, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
IAD777. We stayed in June at Copenhagen downtown Scandic. There are 2 hotels 100 years apart. We chose the Webers. Right by Train station. Neat. Anyway for 10,000 HH points week night we got a 'Hollywood Suite'. Even the HH fax confirmed this. Which is good as they wanted to charge us when we checked out. Breakfast included automatically, which in Denmark runs high. About $800 or whatever a night. All for 10k points. Best deal in the Hilton world.

Also is Oslo Norway last month had the Sandic Byporten. Right by Station in center again. Superb breakfast and the way EVERYTHING costs in Norway, a breakfast probably runs $100 for 2! And then some. A local BEER cost us $20 a glass etc. A 2 star hotel in the boondocks $250 etc.

It looks to be clearly a mistake of some TERRIBLE kind right now this Scandic 10,000 points deal for week nights in super expensive cities but grab it while it lasts is my advice to one and all.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 07-16-2002).]
Old Jul 16, 02, 2:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IAD777:
Any suggestions on the best Scandic property to stay at in Copenhagen?</font>
I haven't stayed there since I live in CPH, but I can give you some hint's :

SCANDIC HOTEL COPENHAGEN:
The former Sheraton property in Copenhagen.
Should offer a exellent view and nice restaurants and bars...
Walking distance to Tivoli and City square hall and Central Station.

SCANDIC WEBER:
Privately owned hotel before they joined Scandic.
Neighboorhood around Central station is not considered the best.
Walking distance to Tivoli and City square hall and Central Station.

SCANDIC HOTEL SYDHAVNEN:
New hotel, finished construction 01FEB2002
Located approx 4 km from city, walk by the water to City or taxi would be 50-70 DKK. train station 500m. Walking distance to local shoppingcenter and restaurants.

The other 3 copenhagen scandic hotels are far away from city ....10- 25 km's ..

The Hilton Copenhagen Airport is also an alternative since you can easily take a train for 15 min to city costs 12-15 DKK.

Old Jul 19, 02, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the tips Ozstamps and Longhauler. I will try to stay at either the Scandic Webers or Scandic Hotel Copenhagen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: