Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
I've never stayed at the Marski, but they have a nice location in the city center. If you don't mind a longer tram ride, I higly recommend the seaside hotel at the Scandic Kalastajatorppa, at the northern end of the #4 line. It's especially nice around midsummer. The seaside hotel was renovated last year; I have a few pictures posted here.
Old May 8, 2003, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier, IC Ambassador, HHONORS Diamond VIP, Priority Club Platinum
I'm staying at the Scandic Copenhagen for 4 nights in August -- it is part of my 16 day honeymoon (Dublin, Copenhagen, and Paris).

Thanks to HHONORS -- all of my nights are free. (Dublin Conrad, Paris Hilton, and the Scandic Copenhagen)

As a Diamond VIP, what type of upgrades does Scandic offer. Specifically, what type of upgrade should I look for at this hotel? Any diamond statyed there recently (last few months)?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
[email protected]
UAL Premier, Northwest Silver Elite, Hilton Diamond VIP
Old May 8, 2003, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Paul556:
I'm staying at the Scandic Copenhagen for 4 nights in August -- it is part of my 16 day honeymoon (Dublin, Copenhagen, and Paris).

Thanks to HHONORS -- all of my nights are free. (Dublin Conrad, Paris Hilton, and the Scandic Copenhagen)

As a Diamond VIP, what type of upgrades does Scandic offer. Specifically, what type of upgrade should I look for at this hotel? Any diamond statyed there recently (last few months)?

Thanks in advance.

</font>
Both Golds and Diamonds are supposed to get "the best available room" but I doubt you will get a suite even if they have any. You might have better luck at Webers who appear to pre-reserve some sort of suite for Hilton Golds. (See the posts by Ozstamps.)

The CPH Scandic is a dump -- you will be disappointed. The location is pretty good though. If you have the points then try for the CPH Hilton. The airport location is insignificant (13 min train ride at your doorstep) -- it's a truly wonderful hotel.

I stayed at the CPH Scandic twice last year (will do so again in 2 weeks) only because it is so **** cheap pointwise. I was "upgraded" to a room that had a sign like "executive" or "business class" or something like that. The second time I got a room without this sign on the door. The rooms were 100% identical. The only difference was that the standard room had black mold in the bathroom.

The CPH Scandic was originally the Sheraton and was built in the early 70s. It has not ever seen major renovation and is in desperate need for it. I figure that Sheraton gave up on the dump in the mid 90s.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:32 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LH738:
I stayed recently at the Scanic in Frankfurt-Offenbach.

The hotel can be reached with the subway (S-Bahn S1, S8, S9; Stop: Kaiserlei) and a 500m walk.

The hotel is built as a tower. All (AFAIK) rooms have a balcony. My room was new and functional. The breakfast buffet was very good with a good choice of food.

Negative: Check-out took over half an hour until my bill had the correct address.

Surely, there's no comparision to the Hilton in Frankfurt. The Hilton plays in a higher class - regarding comfort, service and price. Those who want to avoid the higher price at the Hilton, will have a good choice with the Scandic.
</font>
LH738, can you tell me how much are taxi fares to the tourist spots in the city? Our family of three will be in Frankfurt in August, and is trying to compare the cost of three subway tickets vs taking the taxi. TIA.

------------------
International airlines seat desirability map
Old Jun 4, 2003, 5:56 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jet2K:
LH738, can you tell me how much are taxi fares to the tourist spots in the city? Our family of three will be in Frankfurt in August, and is trying to compare the cost of three subway tickets vs taking the taxi. TIA.

</font>
Hmmm, I never took the taxi to Offenbach though I stayed very often in this area. Maybe you should ask the question in the TravelForum - Europe to get better results.

I guess that the taxi fare is around ~30EUR to the center of Frankfurt. It's quite a long way (maybe there's also a family card/group ticket available for public transport). There's not so much to see in Frankfurt. More interesting (= nice) towns "on the other side of Frankfurt" are Wiesbaden and Mainz.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

[This message has been edited by LH738 (edited 06-04-2003).]
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The Scandic Continental in Stockholm was nice. The rooms were tiny, as was expected, but the whole place seemed to be newly renovated. Breakfast was nice as was the location. It's right across the street from the central station and a block or so from the Arlanda Express train to the airport.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Thanks LP738, I will look into the other locations you mentioned.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 4:21 pm

Programs: lots
I'm interested in a review if you have one...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kmt:
Hi All: I plan to stay at the Scandic Hotel Palace in Tallinn, the Marski in Helsinki, and the Hotel Continental in Stockholm all in August 2003. Does anyone have information/reviews for these hotels and, since I am using HH rewards (at an unbelieveably low exchange rate--all opportunity level), can anyone comment on the ease/difficulties in using the reward certificates in Scandinavia (any problems with the front desk)?
Thanks.
</font>
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did a 3-day award stay at the Helsinki Grand Marina. They gave me a corner room on the 2nd floor, L-shaped and roomy, with a double bed in the far part and a hide-a-bed couch in the section by the door. You could sleep 4 in this room easily.
It had a view of the waterfront, not that there was anything interesting to see there, and had 3 sets of windows, one on the front and two on the side.
The bathroom was roomy, with a shower on one end, toilet and sink behind a shower door on the other, and a sink in the middle. There was a hose with sprayer coming from the sink next to the toilet, I guess as a substitute for a bidet. Two bathrobes hanging by the door. Room 244. Strangely, there were two closets but no drawers. Must be a Finnish thing.

There were 3 saunas and an exercise room that I didn't try, and a computer with Internet and printer by the back of the lobby, but it cost Є5 to get on it.

I received 3 Є14 certificates, one for each day, good at the bar or restaurant downstairs. You can get a sandwich, beer and cake for that at the bar. They brought up a fruit plate and a bottle of water in the afternoon of the 2nd and 3rd days, but it was only an apple and a banana. An extensive buffet breakfast is included for everyone.

It's a longish walk from the hotel to city center. Maybe 15-20 minutes, depending on your speed. There's a market square, though, only 3 blocks away, and a boulevard with lots of shops just west of it. There's also a tram line one block east of the hotel. It's very quiet in the evening, hardly any foot traffic around the hotel. There are several restaurants near the hotel, but I didn't try any of them.

I checked out some of the other Scandics while I was there. The Continental was NW of city center, a little closer than the Grand Marina, and opposite a park. Good location, if you don't want to be right in the middle of things, and the lobby looked OK. The Finnair airport bus stops near it.

The Simonkenttä is right in the middle of things, and looks nice from the outside and lobby. The bus depot is nearby. If I go to Helsinki again, I'll probably try this one next.

The Marski is a few blocks away, and looked just OK. I was accosted by a prostitute as I left the lobby. She wasn't pushy or anything, but it was a negative.

I meant to get to the Kalastajatorppa, but never got around to it. I hope someone posts a review of it before next summer.

I think I got a great deal for the points (25K cert). I didn't pay much for food while I was there, and it was a pleasant stay. Scandics are a great way to spend your points.

Old Oct 1, 2003, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I know this may be anathema to mention it here, but when I traveled to Helsinki, my favorite hotel was the Radisson SAS Royal. It's near the Simonketta, just at the end of the bus depot near the subway stop. At the time I was traveling, Scandic hadn't joined HHonors yet.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC MM
I stayed in the Scandic in Roskilde, Denmark (suburb of Copenhagen) a few weeks ago - disappointing place, way out in the middle of no-where, remarkably dirty hotel, entirely forgettable. I don't recommend it.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:24 pm

Swiss Travelclub and Scandic

Is it possible to earn Swiss Travelclub miles for stays at Scandic? Only Hilton Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, Conrad Hotels, Doubletree, Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites are listed as partners on a Travelclub webpage.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:16 am

Stay at Scandic from 250sek but....

Scandic Hotels celebrate 40 years this year and begining on the 8th of November they will offer rates from 250SEK/30EUR if you book online at

www.scandic-hotels.se
www.scandic-hotels.dk
www.scandic-hotels.no
www.scandic-hotels.fi
www.scandic-hotels.com

Offer valid 20/12-11/1 2004

They claim that it doesnt earn any points or vouchers but I am pretty sure if you can get the check in staff to add your HHonors you will get points.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:24 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
This is also a nice offer, wonder if that 'no points' rule applies to the stay 3 for 2 nights offer also?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:08 pm

I am pretty sure that you earn points for the 3 for 2 nights. Have you been able to find any prices for Hilton Slussen etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.