Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2002, 12:34 pm

Scandic Help Chapter 2

The good news is Hhonors says the Scandic hotels remain at OPPORTUNITY point levels for 2003 (10K or less on multiple/weekend nights).

The bad news is there is little availability.

Called Hhonors to book stays for the spring reward points trip to Scandanavia. Whew! Not a good experience.

SOLD OUT - Stockholm Scandic Hotel Anglais 5/22-26
~~~Offered the Alvik as an alternative (holding that while we try to find out if it is okay and if there is a better alternative)

SOLD OUT Copenhagen Scandic Hotel Copenhagen 5/29-6/1
~~~ Nothing in Copenhagen avail for points

SOLD OUT Oslo Scandic Hotel Byporten 6/3-5
~~~ Nothing in Oslo avail for points

SOLD OUT Bergen Scandic Hotel Bergen City 6/5-7
~~~ Offered the Airport Hotel Bergen
(holding that while we try to find out if it is okay and if there is a better alternative)

On the return we are looking at a one night London stop over, again an award stay:

SOLD OUT Hilton London Paddington 6/12-13
~~~ Offered the Langham (holding that while we try to find out if it is okay and if there is a better alternative)

We'll also need a HILTON chain hotel near Gatwick the night before our return flight.

Ideas? Suggestions? Feedback on the alternatives booked? As always, all help appreciated!
Old Nov 8, 2002, 3:10 pm

Great news that Scandic hotels remains OPPORTUNITY in 2003 as well.

Can they really be fully booked over 6 months in advance? Could it be that they havent open any award rooms yet but will do later on? Or does Scandic only offer one room per night or what?
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Most like the Langham Hilton. It is a classical hotel, used as office by the BBC for many years and recently renovated for Hilton.

As always in London, the location is a questyion of choice. It is central, close to Oxford Circus. Whether this is better or worse for you than Paddington is your decision!

Hilton have a Gatwick property - directly connected to South Terminal and easily reachable from North terminal by inter-terminal transit.

Re Scandics, kempis as usual makes the right suggestion, i.e. availability probably hasn't opened up yet. Maybe keep your existing reservations, which you can cancel if necessary, and keep trying for the ones you want?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:32 am

Thanks Kempis and Roger for your input. We have not traveled to either Scandanavia or London so any guidance is great.

We are wondering about alternatives in Scandanavia. Over the next months we'll keep trying for the original Scandic hotels. In the meantime, we'd better get some Hilton reservations, just in case Scandic stays unavailable. Any suggestions on Hilton properties in Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen or Bergen?

Thank you!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:42 am
Original Member

It might help calling the hotels directly. From what I've heard and experienced they can be more flexible than central reservations. /Mattis
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I usually never book anything way ahead of time, but when I was calling to amend a recent reservation I asked if I could book something in May at the CPH Scandic. (The place sucks... will post later.) I was told that they don't have any inventory that far out.... that's the problem.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
CPH Hilton is truly awesome. It's expensive pointwise (2nd highest category). You can usually get a deal for around DKK 1000, which is quite cheap for CPH. (This includes 25% VAT.) Another option is Pricelining for the Marriott. $80 in July has been documented. It's supposed be really nice -- my colleague raved about it.

The Scandic is a real 1970s dump, but some people will not like the airport location of the Hilton even though a 13 min train ride brings you downtown.

If you are going for a nice one time vacation in CPH then I would splurge in $ or points and avoid the Scandic(s).

Also see my other posting:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/005896.html

[This message has been edited by gnaget (edited 11-12-2002).]
Old Dec 14, 2002, 12:35 am

I am writing this from Scandic Marina Palace Hotel (Turku, Finland). Big building on the shore of (ice-covered) Aura river. Interior (at least in the lobby) is somewhat eighties-like.
Thanks to Hhonors Gold card I got promptly upgraded to bigger room yesterday (amenities included bottle of mineral water, apple, orange, huge double bed and bath instead of shower) and received 14 eur restaurant voucher. Service has been simple but very friendly and Internet is for HHonors members free as well.
Only minus so far: water in bathroom is merely lukewarm.

All in all: definetely more than I expected
Old Dec 15, 2002, 3:34 am

14 euro voucher? Isnt it suppose to be "only" something like 5 euro or so?
Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:07 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The Viking:
ozstamps:
Wow, paying USD 20 for a beer in Oslo!?
Price record for me, definetely (And I do believe I know quite a lot of bars/restaurants/nightlife).

</font>
I hope he means AUD$20 for a beer, which is still outrageous (=USD$11 & change!)

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:39 am

Has anyone stayed at the Scandic Grand Marina in Helsinki?

Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:40 am

Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kempis:
14 euro voucher? Isnt it suppose to be "only" something like 5 euro or so?</font>
Yes, it was 14 eur voucher. According to Hilton website I expected 50 SEK voucher "or equivalent in local currency", but Finland seems to be (nice) exception. I was rather surprised myself.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nwsin:

</font>
I have not, but this hotel has interesting location - at harbour, just off the sea. Can be quite picturesque. Hotel is situated ideally if you are arriving or departing by ship (especially Viking Line to/from Sweden or Finnjet to/from Estonia). City center is ~ 0,5...1 km away

[This message has been edited by fokker50 (edited 01-04-2003).]
Old May 8, 2003, 10:00 am
kmt

Hi All: I plan to stay at the Scandic Hotel Palace in Tallinn, the Marski in Helsinki, and the Hotel Continental in Stockholm all in August 2003. Does anyone have information/reviews for these hotels and, since I am using HH rewards (at an unbelieveably low exchange rate--all opportunity level), can anyone comment on the ease/difficulties in using the reward certificates in Scandinavia (any problems with the front desk)?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.