Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:52 am

No Scandic hotels on Ireland.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 9:30 pm

Any Scandic hotel in Vienna or Munich? and how would I go about booking the 3 nights for 15000 points offer?

Thanks!

jsy9999
Old Sep 20, 2002, 9:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsy9999:
Any Scandic hotel in Vienna or Munich? and how would I go about booking the 3 nights for 15000 points offer?</font>
Scandic Hotel in Vienna has been rebranded as Hilton, and AFAIK, there is no Scandic hotel in Munich.

On the "3 nights for 15,000 points". That would require a Point Stretcher, but according to what kempis posted in this thread, there are no Point Stretchers currently available at any Scandic property. Scandic properties are all listed as Opportunity level this year though (25,000 points for 3 nights), which in itself is an incredible value in most, if not all, locations.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 10:42 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I stayed recently at the Scanic in Frankfurt-Offenbach.

The hotel can be reached with the subway (S-Bahn S1, S8, S9; Stop: Kaiserlei) and a 500m walk.

The hotel is built as a tower. All (AFAIK) rooms have a balcony. My room was new and functional. The breakfast buffet was very good with a good choice of food.

Negative: Check-out took over half an hour until my bill had the correct address.

Surely, there's no comparision to the Hilton in Frankfurt. The Hilton plays in a higher class - regarding comfort, service and price. Those who want to avoid the higher price at the Hilton, will have a good choice with the Scandic.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:07 pm

SCANDIC HELP

We are planning a trip to Scandanavia next spring and looking at booking the following as possible award stays:

Stockholm Scandic Hotel Anglais
Copenhagen Scandic Hotel Copenhagen
Oslo Scandic Hotel Byporten
Bergen Scandic Hotel Bergen

On the return we are looking at a one night London stop over, again an award stay:

Hilton London Paddington

Are we getting the best locations (we won't have a car)? Are we selecting the hotels that give the best return on a reward stay?

ALL HELP/ADVICE APPRECIATED!
Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blueridge:
We are planning a trip to Scandanavia next spring and looking at booking the following as possible award stays:

Stockholm Scandic Hotel Anglais
Copenhagen Scandic Hotel Copenhagen
Oslo Scandic Hotel Byporten
Bergen Scandic Hotel Bergen

On the return we are looking at a one night London stop over, again an award stay:

Hilton London Paddington

Are we getting the best locations (we won't have a car)? Are we selecting the hotels that give the best return on a reward stay?

ALL HELP/ADVICE APPRECIATED!
</font>
The Copenhagen Scandic is the old Sheraton. I am staying there next week. Will report how it is. It's very centrally located, although on the slightly more seedy side of town. You can walk from the main train station (15 min from airport), although a stop on the "S-train" called Vesterport is slightly closer. There is a "nice" strip club called the Waterloo across the street. It's a 5 min walk to the Town Hall Square and Tivoli and all that good stuff.

If you want to splurge the Airport Hilton is really nice and only a 15 min train ride to downtown. 30 seconds from the Hotel to train platform. If they have a point stretcher go for it. Unfortunately it's only available second half of November.

Ozstamps reported about getting a Suite at the other Scandic at Webers, but it is normally a lower class hotel. Check the archives. It sounded like they were offering it to me as well when I inquired.....

I am also staying at Sergel Plaza rather than Anglais next week. The location of Anglais is good. It's probably a crapshoot between the two, but the Anglais looked a bit tired from the photos.

Is Scandic going to be 10k points indefinitely?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Several others on FT also got a suite at Copenhagen Webers.

We also stayed Oslo Byporten in June. Quite OK.

For 10,000 points either is a superb deal. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004734.html

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Oct 29, 2002, 6:36 am

I just stayed at the Scandic Copenhagen. I received a suite (and I'm not any kind of elite! I was also traveling solo.) I enjoyed the stay. The breakfast is included, but the heated items in the buffet were a bit tepid at best. That was the only downside of the stay.
It is a couple minute walk from the train station, and I never observed the "seedy" side of the neighborhood.
I had to call back to France to check in and when I mentioned that their payphone wasn't working, the front desk handed me their phone- free call!
There was no problem using points/an award and there wasn't even a question when I checked out (I say this as I have heard some say they were almost charged for their awards stay...)
I hope to return again.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 7:34 am

Did you get an upgrade and breakfast because you are Hilton Gold or better? Did you get the impression that the hotel has been renovated recently?

When I say "seedy" it's relative. You are close to the main train station and the red light district that emanates from the western back end of the station. A conservative American might be troubled by the strip club across the street. I am sure the Scandic is a source of a lot of flabby "businessman" clientele.

The other "hub" of downtown CPH is Kongens Nytorv, which is more upscale with the grande dame D'Angleterre hotel, etc.

[This message has been edited by gnaget (edited 10-29-2002).]
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Oslo Scandic Hotel Byporten is right next to the main train station in downtown Oslo, half a block from Karl Johanns gate, the main drag of downtown. I don't know anything about the quality, but it's very convenient to all forms of transportation in Oslo. If you're flying in, the airport express stops right next door.

Here's a link that might be useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004413.html
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:45 pm

Gnagnet,
I am definately not a Gold or better (used to be years ago)...so no, the upgrade was not included because of that. It seems the breakfast included is typical of these hotels.
Cheers!
Sparks
Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:34 pm

Thank you one-and-all for the help and guidance. I'll continue to monitor this thread (and others) for additional collective wisdom!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 8:44 pm

I was looking at the old thread (see above). Scandics DO in fact have point stretchers at some of the less attractive hotels. In Stockholm, Malmen is point stretcher as well as a bunch of the suburban hotels. (I love it when the HH rep tries to say Kungens Kurva.)

So, if one is a real "pointskate" then one can stay at a hotel in Stockholm for 6,000 points a night, which is really good value.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 5:59 am

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:

For 10,000 points either is a superb deal. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004734.html

</font>
I just returned from a recent trip to Copenhagen and a stay at the Scandic Hotel Copenhagen. Did not receive an upgrade, but the daily breakfast buffet was great.

Also, thanks to Ozstamps and the Longhauler for pointing out a few months ago that this property was part of the HHonors program and this hotel like other Scandic properties only required 10,000 points a night

Old Nov 3, 2002, 1:54 pm

Scandic Luebeck (Germany) experiences?

I will stay in this property in December during a Pointstretcherperiod for 2 nights.
Hiltonhonors Desk Germany said it will count as Opportunity but I will not get an upgrade (Hilton Gold) since they don't have an executive floor. I checked here but cannot find any reports about this hotel. Since the experiences are mixed when it comes to Scandics, I would like to ask for any comments.

I expect to earn 1000 Points+Status and 100 Miles (not using Virgin). Is it right that I cannot do an online reservation since it is not listed in their catalogue?

Happy about every bit of advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.