Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:04 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:
Thanks for all of your input.

I got through to a live human being at HHonors redemption desk and she checked out the amount and availability for the Scandic CPH next spring. She pleasantly advised me that it could be had for as low as 15,000 points for a 3 night single stay and gave redemption code. While the computer didn't show availability, she says it's likely too early to show up in her computer.

15,000 points for 3 nights! One of the biggest steals this FF has come across ever! Viva Flyertalk!
</font>
Point Stretcher dates for 2003 won't be loaded in for some time yet. But it is true 3 nights Opportunity PS = 15K.
Stateside it usually means December at the Johnstown, PA, Hampton Inn or February at the Toledo Hilton! :O

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:
I got through to a live human being at HHonors redemption desk and she checked out the amount and availability for the Scandic CPH next spring. She pleasantly advised me that it could be had for as low as 15,000 points for a 3 night single stay and gave redemption code. While the computer didn't show availability, she says it's likely too early to show up in her computer.

15,000 points for 3 nights! One of the biggest steals this FF has come across ever! Viva Flyertalk!
</font>
I wonder if it's just the Scandic CPH or if other Scandics are PS next spring. That would really be great.

Old Aug 23, 2002, 2:19 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
More Scandic info. We were told that almost no hotels in Scandanavia are air conditioned and it seems to be true. HOWEVER, we are now in a terrific Scandic halfway between Stockholm and Arlanda Airport ín Upplands. Bad news is that it will be a Hilton Wednesday! First rate. All the staff is well acquainted with HHonors benefits. We were upgraded to a jr suite, breakfast inc. Got the hotel for 905 )about $91 inc tax and breakfast. Downtown was almost sold out and the cheapest rate was $260! Hotel has an atrium modeled after the Hilton in Atlanta. They are madly renovating as I write. Bringing in Hilton bathrobes, amenities, etc. Happy, happy. Hope never to see Uppsala again! Orebro has two Scandics - the Grand is way expensive but well located. The Vast is next to a freeway and reminds me of a Howard Johnson. Again, no upgrade, etc.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 8:06 pm

Off topic (actually way off topic!) but:
I am thinking of picking up our Volvo in Sweden through overseas delivery. Planning a 7-10 trip.
What is a good time to visit and what kind of things can I look forward to doing?

Old Aug 25, 2002, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I forgot to mention in my post above that in the case of BOTH Hotels on free night Scandics they automatically gave us coupons for drinks at the bar, to a certain amount of local currency. They had coupons in 3 pre-printed value categories in pads on the desk. Seeing beer can (and did!) run $20 a glass in Norway, that is one heck of a bennie.

For friendly oz folks they gave us extra coupons, so the booze chits were worth way, way, more than breakfast coupons runs in most places.

Both our award stays had BTW automatically included breakfast, also a major expense in Scandinavia. For 10,000 HH a night and 15,000 for 3 days these are insanely good awards, it needs to be said again and again.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 08-25-2002).]
Old Sep 6, 2002, 8:13 am

Programs: BOS - UA 2P, SPG Plat
Which hotel did you use to get point stretcher for 15K points/3 nights?
Old Sep 7, 2002, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I'll be staying at the Scandic St. Barbara in Tallinn later in the month and will let you know. Since I travel to Tallinn on a monthly basis, I usually have at least one overnight hotel stay. My hotel of choice had been the new Radisson SAS (since I'm also a EuroBonus member and get Basic points for the stay) but the rate was ridiculous this time.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mindgame:

Which hotel did you use to get point stretcher for 15K points/3 nights?</font>
AFAIK Hilton is treating ALL Scandics as at 'point stretcher' rates until year end. One night is thus 10,000 and 3 nights is 15,0000 it seems? Others may have more info to add?

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Sep 8, 2002, 2:52 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
ozstamps:
Wow, paying USD 20 for a beer in Oslo!?
Price record for me, definetely (And I do believe I know quite a lot of bars/restaurants/nightlife).

One hotel that was recently renovated on some floors is the Scandic KNA which is in the western part of Oslo, very central for nightlife and sightseeing. Offers weekend rates down to approx 100$ for a double, breakfast included as well as tax.
Sometimes in periods of low occupancy in any individual hotel, it will give you the "Scandic x-treme" rate on short notice. This is their rock bottom rate, typically 70-90$, even on weekdays...
Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:00 am

I'm going to stockholm in march and would like to stay at a nice hilton/scandic. I'm a diamond member so I would like a room that gives me the most for status.

Also is malmo? just outside stockholm?
Old Sep 8, 2002, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Malmo's just over the Oresund Bridge from Copenhagen... complete other side of the country.

I stayed at the Hilton in Stockholm and had a really nice stay. Centrally located and a nice view. Got a plate of fruit and water as my Gold amenities. Don't know what you'd get as a Diamond though.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Diesel:
I'm going to stockholm in march and would like to stay at a nice hilton/scandic. I'm a diamond member so I would like a room that gives me the most for status.

Also is malmo? just outside stockholm?
</font>
In Stockholm: Hilton Stockholm Slussen.
The last time in Malmo I stayed at Copenhagen Airport Hilton. Apprx. 25 minutes ride on a train. Ideal location to visit both Copenhagen and Malmo.
I heard they opened a new Hilton in downtown Malmo.

AndrewM

Old Sep 16, 2002, 4:19 am

Dambus,

can you tell me were you got the cheap rate and wat it was, because I am looking for good deals to keep my Gold vip status and points with CNTU promo ! Also other cheap rates in Belgium and The Netherlands are welcome...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dambus:

Scandic Bruges, Belgium:

We stayed there recently on a bargain basement rate so we weren't expecting much. As it turned out it was great value for money.

Rooms are brand new and comfortable. Staff are excellent and very helpful - we lost a pair of sunglasses and they went out of their way to search for them. Breakfast buffet includes pretty much everything although it can be very busy around 9:00.

Apart from the fact that it is about a 5 min taxi ride from the centre of town the only downside is the (evening) restaurant - it's a *much* better idea to eat in town!

-- Dambus

</font>
Old Sep 16, 2002, 6:38 am

Last week I was on a short business trip to Vilnius, and due to the INTU promotion chose to stay at Scandic Neringa. The stay was quite good, the hotel has been renovated, it was pretty empty, service was reasonable and breakfast was OK. Also, the location is very good, apart from the fact that there is a lot of construction going on in the centre of the city right now.
Rates were 450 LTL on weekdays (~ 125 $) and 300 LTL on weekends (~ 84 $), including taxes. The weekend rate is a pretty good deal, I might use that again if I come short for the INTU promotion.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 5:32 pm

Any S hotels in Ireland?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.