Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Hotels: What properties do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2002, 8:56 pm

I visited Scandinavia the first two weeks of July. My Scandic experiences point to a wide variety of quality and comfort in this chain. In Stockholm I stayed at Sjofartshotellet. Not too expensive. Hallways and rooms like cabins on a ship. In Helsinki (using reward) stayed at Markski, central location, nice modern hotel. In Oslo stayed at KNA, a decent hotel in quiet area, quick walk from harbor, decent rates. In Copenhagen I had reward reservation at Webers. I checked in and found hotel and room to be old, worn, no air (it was 85 degree day), old keyed rooms, generally not to my liking. Found that Scandic Copenhagen was two blocks away, had modern conveniences, and moved to that hotel. Generally, aside from 1-drink-worth coupons did not get any benies by being Gold. No Hilton points show yet in account.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 4:28 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Scandic Bruges, Belgium:

We stayed there recently on a bargain basement rate so we weren't expecting much. As it turned out it was great value for money.

Rooms are brand new and comfortable. Staff are excellent and very helpful - we lost a pair of sunglasses and they went out of their way to search for them. Breakfast buffet includes pretty much everything although it can be very busy around 9:00.

Apart from the fact that it is about a 5 min taxi ride from the centre of town the only downside is the (evening) restaurant - it's a *much* better idea to eat in town!

-- Dambus

Old Jul 25, 2002, 7:16 am

Programs: SK*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The-Longhauler:
Johanmm, Did the points show up ? if yes after how many days ?</font>
Longhauler: Yes, they did. It did take a couple of weeks, though.

Old Aug 16, 2002, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Scandic fans?

Am planning getaway to Sweden next spring and came across a good discounted rate at a Scandic branded hotel in Malmo. Since they are part of the Hilton family, I thought the good rate and HH points made it an even better offer. But having never stayed at a Scandic, does anyone have any input as to comparable hotels here in N.America?
Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I'm in a similar position, booked into the Scandic Copenhagen later this year, so I second the question.
Old Aug 17, 2002, 12:51 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Please see the thread where it is announced that all Scandics can be had for Opportunity--level points!

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Aug 17, 2002, 1:11 pm

On request http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004792.html
Old Aug 18, 2002, 7:12 pm
JKD

On my recent trip to the Baltic countries, I found the room at the Scandic Neringa in Vilnius comparable to Radisson properties. This one had been recently renovated and is attractive. Lobby / checkin area was much smaller than some of the Radissons, but maybe it was a function of the size of the hotel.

And best of all, on my second stay, the hotel was basically empty and they upgraded me to a suite ! (and they didn't even know I was HHonors gold !!)

It seems that there were several hotels in each city, so they may vary somewhat from property to property .....
Old Aug 19, 2002, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Not so enchanted with Scandics. Stayed a few days ago in Uppsala Upplandia and it is an old dumpy hotel. Cost not too bad though. No upgrade. Now at By??? in Oslo, next to train station. New hotel. Got room from the information agency for Oslo (cheaper) but they REFUSED to give us an upgrade. Small rooms. New, however. Paying 780 NOK for a queen bed inc taxes and breakfast. There are Club rooms. Can't have upgrade if not paying full price. News to me. I don't think they are fully integrated into Hilton. Hope I get my 50K CNTU for all my efforts.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 3:20 pm

Stayed at Scandic Synhaven near Copenhagen in June. It was an award stay for 2 nights booked for 10,000 pts. The hotel seemed like it was brand new and I think that they must have given me the worst room in the entire hotel (perhaps because I am young). It was very small and had no aircon making it hard to sleep at night. The bed was only a double bed and my fiancee and I had trouble fitting. The decor was decidedly Scandanavian (it looked like ikea designed the whole hotel!) I have a feeling that the Scandics in the main cities CPH, GOT, Stockholm, ect. are nicer than those in the 'burbs. I would not pay for a Scandic branded hotel in Scandanavia as comprable hotels can be much cheaper. Since it was so few points, however, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Old Aug 19, 2002, 6:28 pm

Thanks for all of your input.

I got through to a live human being at HHonors redemption desk and she checked out the amount and availability for the Scandic CPH next spring. She pleasantly advised me that it could be had for as low as 15,000 points for a 3 night single stay and gave redemption code. While the computer didn't show availability, she says it's likely too early to show up in her computer.

15,000 points for 3 nights! One of the biggest steals this FF has come across ever! Viva Flyertalk!
Old Aug 19, 2002, 8:06 pm

15.000 points for 3!!! nights? Are you really sure? Thats a great price.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 1:53 am

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium
You can get info on Scandic in CPH here :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004734.html
Old Aug 20, 2002, 5:55 pm

Yes, Kempis. I double checked today again and got same story, codes and amount as previous.

Is this great or what? I have yet to log any stays at Hilton since joining the HH program 18 months ago, but have been collecting the quarterly bonuses like clockwork. To date have a lowly 12,000 in my account and thought I'd have to transfer in some CO OP miles to get anything. But boy what a steal!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Well on the 2 threads referenced above I surmised the 10,000 HH a night deals we took in Oslo and Copenhagen was THE best use you will ever see.

THREE nights for 15,000 is just astounding.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.