Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dartford Bridge {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dartford Bridge {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dartford Bridge {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

What's the best way to commute from this property to downtown London using public transportation? I'm wondering if this is doable, and waht the travel time might be.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dldkjones:
What's the best way to commute from this property to downtown London using public transportation? I'm wondering if this is doable, and waht the travel time might be. </font>
In one word don't. The dartford bridge is well away from 'downtown' london and you will need to use intermodal transport with taxi/bus/train/walking.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:20 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Unless you have to be in the immediate area for Business then second the advise above and say DON'T stay there. The property is located in an industrial/business park next to the M25 Motorway. There is nowhere nearby to eat and to get in to central London would require a taxi to Dartford and a train from there.

I have stayed there several times as I was working on a client site a few minutes away. The property is reasonable but is focused very much on the transient business traveller. There is a good sized Health Club with indoor pool.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 5:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
DON'T stay there.</font>
Unless he's a good swimmer....that may be the fastest mode of transport to downtown London..

Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:55 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Hilton Dartford Bridge hotel Trip Reports and Reviews

This modern, new looking Hilton is right next to the QE II bridge and Dartford tunnel (both crossing the Thames, East of London, on the M25). The hotel has triple glazing so there's little if any traffic noise.

The main draw to the area, unless you are into bridges , is Bluewater and Lakeside shopping "malls". Both are within 10 minutes drive. IMO Bluewater is better.

This was my second stay, last time got a large room, could be called a junior suite, this time a large room, but not as nice as the one the previous time. Little other recognition of Diamond status No lounge
I felt more recognised last time.

Restaurant was closed for refurbishment ... it didn't mention that on the website , I'm glad I didn't book a rate that included dinner !! Breakfast served in a large conference room.

Gym is good, but again there's a notice saying that it will be closed next weekend (21st I think), for a Health and Safety check or some such excuse.

For any UK Hhonors members that need a stay (I need one more to extend my Diamond for another year - 2 booked in the next 2 weeks ) then this is worth a short visit. Good shopping (unless you visit the US often), plenty of restaurants (at the shopping malls) and cinemas at each mall, and the bridge

Easy to get to as well, although I'd avoid a Friday evening trip on the M25 !!

I'll go back the next time I need a stay, is the best I can say.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Mrs. Stifle and I were here for an ultra-cheap Any Weekend Anywhere stay last weekend. I requested and got a NOR1 upgrade to a Deluxe room, but probably shouldn't have bothered; bathrobes, slippers, a chopine of red wine, and two small free bottles of water (with one chargeable one) were the main amenities.

The hotel is not especially well located for those without a car, but is extremely well located for those with one. We went to the nearest train station, Stone Crossing, but a route planner sent us down a lane without any footpaths which was somewhat dangerous.

Reception was fine and we got a room near the lift on the 2nd floor. The hotel is one of the newer breed of UK Hiltons, and although lacking an Executive Lounge, is far nicer than the old-school ones. We considered room service as we were a bit peckish, but it was quickly dismissed when we saw the price of a pizza at over £13 (with additions for toppings) and a £4 tray charge, plus drinks at £3 a go for soft-drinks.

The breakfast was excellent. The most delicious sausages I have ever tasted were part of the traditional English breakfast line-up (including also bacon, fried and scrambled eggs, black pudding, fried bread, hash browns, mushrooms, tomatoes, and baked beans). It looked like the staff had been caught unexpectedly with more guests than they expected as several of the bainmaries with the hot breakfast items ran out at once. The continental side of things included cold cuts and cheeses, yoghurts, fruit, various breads, and pastries.

The show-stopper was the self-operated American-style waffle iron, which Mrs. Stifle found wonderful. Syrup, honey, butter, and jam are all available for use with it.

After checkout we went back to Stone Crossing by an alternative (and better) route — I strongly recommend either using the approach to and from the north of the station, that's to say the left-hand side when you arrive from London — and we managed to get some money off our train fares home because the only ticket machine available was a permit to travel machine and when we went to pay the rest of the fare at our destination (where, in fairness, we could have just left the station and gone on our way) the ticket clerk dismissed the payment and let us go.

Only gripe was that the card which I gave the reception on arrival to authorise incidentals — having booked an AP rate — was charged with the full cost of the stay promptly afterwards, despite the FD telling me as I checked out that everything was paid. Going back over my statement I noticed that I had never been charged for the room when I booked it, so I suppose no harm no foul, although I would have settled to a different card had I been given the opportunity.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm going to be back here tonight and checking my reservation I notice that I've already been upgraded to a deluxe room, despite that my MyWay is set to points ^^
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the indicated upgrade last night (no small bottle of wine this time for some reason, but I don't drink and am not short of them). My arrival letter still mentioned that internet access was a MyWay option, although I asked for the internet code and was duly given it (and couldn't use it because I didn't have a computer with me )

The breakfast remains nothing short of legendary. All the meaty items were tender and tasty, the scrambled eggs were soft and fluffy, and even the conveyor-belt toaster was set to the right level to brown the bread properly. The fresh fruit was very agreeable and the pastries and muffins were delightful. Waffles are still available (including ones with a Hilton logo on them!) Can we please clone the chefs and put them in the other hundred UK Hiltons?

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/h...g?t=1301159454

Last edited by stifle; Mar 26, 2011 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had another MR here on Friday night, which went well. £48.50 room rate on Any Weekend Anywhere and despite having my preferences set to 1,000 bonus points I was upgraded to what I would describe as a junior suite, large with separate sitting area, work desk, and very wide bed. No hassle on arrival and no request for a credit card for incidentals either.

The breakfast continues to be of a very high standard in line with what I mentioned in my previous post.

They are now doing a wide range of bar and dinner offers, such as fish & chips plus a beer for £15.10, certain pints for £2.99, and three-course buffet dinner for £15 (instead of £21.99).

The location is of course suboptimal if you don't drive, although the hotel is under a mile from the nearest train halt (Stone Crossing) and there are also some nearby bus routes.

Last edited by stifle; Sep 11, 2011 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't think there was much this hotel could do to improve short of uprooting itself and moving ten miles towards London, but on my stay last night I found out they have installed BT Openzone wifi throughout the hotel, replacing the frankly rubbish iBahn wired system that's almost ubiquitous at UK Hiltons.

Peter Thomas Roth toiletries have replaced the Crabtree & Evelyn.

I strongly recommend this hotel for visitors to the London area who are hiring a car. And for our visitors from North America who like rooms with two double beds and 4-person room occupancy: yup, they've got 'em, and nope, they don't cost any more than king bedrooms.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton Dartford Bridge is upgrading 85 of its rooms starting Monday 13th.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I stayed here with work this week. No upgrade as I'm silver (this stay pushes me to gold) but no complaints with the room. Twice now I've arrived to find a towel folded into the shape of an elephant! Breakfast great, though the waffle maker seems to have disappeared! I was disappointed that there are no public stairs to the 2nd floor, same issue I had recently at the Kensington Hilton as well. Overall, I'm happy with this hotel.

signol
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
No upgrade (upgrades seem to be rarer these days), moved rooms as first room smelt of smoke, moved to same cat room. Everything else fine- breakfast was good and bar busy at night.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Trip report - 6-8-15

Arrived 4pm, preupgraded from double double to double double deluxe ........room was at back of hotel, top floor.......quiet and clean.
Whilst grateful of the upgrade, I couldn't see what was deluxe about it......aircon rubbish, no safe, no mini bar........no robes in room phoned down, none turned up, phoned down again and they turn up 40 mins later!.........went for swim/sauna.......water looked dirty, teenage lads throwing footballs around in pool......steam room dirty, sauna ok.
Went to dinner , had fillet steak and chips, this was great to be fair and the service good too.....great steak, my lady had three egg omlette which was very nice but made with two eggs not three?.
Bed very creaky and we kept each other awake with this, I baled to next bed ( room had two doubles) but this was just as bad.
All in all I feel the hotel whilst clean is very tired and the staff have no morale , it's handy for Eurostar ( 10 min drive to ebbsfleet int) however unless traveling to Paris the next day I wouldn't bother staying again.

Last edited by wizla; Aug 8, 2015 at 12:25 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
This hotel no longer participates in Hilton honors rewards?

Just noticed that an asterisk by HILTON DARTFORD BRIDGE on the Hilton website claiming this???.......I've not heard of this before.....I guess I hardly ever leave the uk but is this common worldwide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.