Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue {US-PA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue {US-PA}

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2003, 2:44 pm

I am leaving Philly on the 23rd to fly to ORD. Best DT rate is way over 100$ so I guess I will get a Hampton Inn stay using a roomsaver.com coupon.

On www.reisi.net I have found a rate of 99$ at DT.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic
Well, the day is finally here. We are checking into the Philly City Ave. tonight for the (probably meaningless) Phillies game tomorrow. Does anyone know how late the Executive Lounge is open at night? We'll be arriving late and wouldn't mind a drink and some hors-d'oeuvres.

Aussiemate
Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue

Anyone have any comments, good or bad on this property?

Looks like it used to be flagged as something else until recently (doesn't show in a 1999 Hilton guide); my recollection on driving past it last year that it was just OK looking on the outside...

Didn't really want to pay their lowest rate of $169 next week but was able to book a category 2 point-stretcher reservation at it for 12,000 points for one night...

Guess I shouldn't expect too much since it's in Category 2?

Thanks for any input..
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:42 pm
GYK

Programs: United Million-Miler, SPG Gold
I haven't been there, but so long as you're asking, does anyone have feedback on the Embassy suites in Philly as well. I've got a vacation planned with the kids in November, and chose the Embassy Suites due to the suite (nice to hve 2 rooms)
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:24 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GYK:
I haven't been there, but so long as you're asking, does anyone have feedback on the Embassy suites in Philly as well. I've got a vacation planned with the kids in November, and chose the Embassy Suites due to the suite (nice to hve 2 rooms)</font>
Gyk, which Embassy Suites location? There's one at the airport and one downtown...and probably several in the suburbs...

Reviews on those two at www.biddingfortravel.com are positive. The downtown location seems to be a renovation of a former apartment building..(but the users still loved it)..
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:46 am

It is a relatively new property. Very much business oriented, for people wanting to be near the Bala Cynwyd business corridor.

If you have business there, it is the best choice in the area. But it is far from any of the tourist sites, and restaurants/nightclubs are simply not around, since this is an area that pretty much closes down at night.

Rooms are nice enough, nothing special, but at least new.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:51 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Felix Unger:
It is a relatively new property. Very much business oriented, for people wanting to be near the Bala Cynwyd business corridor.

If you have business there, it is the best choice in the area. But it is far from any of the tourist sites, and restaurants/nightclubs are simply not around, since this is an area that pretty much closes down at night.

Rooms are nice enough, nothing special, but at least new.
</font>
Felix, thanks for the info. I have a 6:00AM appointment on City Line, so this is just where I need to be (Bala Cynwyd is the home of most radio stations in Philly)..

Is this really a new build? When I passed it last year, my recollection was that it was an older looking building, fairly dumpy from the outside...so I figured that it used to be flagged by someone else..
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:37 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeJ:
Is this really a new build? When I passed it last year, my recollection was that it was an older looking building, fairly dumpy from the outside...so I figured that it used to be flagged by someone else..</font>
George-

I live in the general area and if I remember correctly, the hotel used to be a Radisson. It was a Radisson for only a short period. Before that, it was a Twelve Caesars conference center. I believe the rooms were all redone during the conversion to Hilton and thus should be in great shape.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:58 pm

I have never stayed there but I'd guess the property in under ten years old. Its a good location on the Philadelphia side of City Line Ave. The ABC and NBC affiliate TV station studios are also within walking distance. Other Hotel choices very close are an Adams Mark and a Holiday Inn.

Jay
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic
Georgej,

We stayed there at the end of Sept 2003, and it was a nice hotel. We got lounge access but checked in at 9:30pm, and lounge closed at 9. It was open the next morning and looked nice. We got complimentary buffet breakfast downstairs which was pretty good. They were selling cans of soda in the lobby pantry area for $1.00 which is a bargain for Philly. Hotel was very nice and clean. We were on the lounge floor in a normal room. We also stayed for 12,000 HH points on a point stretcher because the room rates were $189 and up. Enjoy your stay!

Aussiemate
Old Oct 23, 2003, 6:12 am
Original Member

I was very pleased with the Phildelphia City Avenue Hilton. Wasn't expecting much since it was lumped in with Hampton Inns in Category 2 for award redemption (don't know why its down so far; maybe because it isn't in downtown Philly?) I haven't seen the rooms at Adams Mark but I would expect that the Hilton is much nicer than the Holiday Inn or Adam's Mark on City Avenue..

They gave me an "upgraded room" which turned out to be a corner room that was larger than the typical rooms (from what I could see from rooms the housekeepers were cleaning). It had a little L hallway in it because the door was at the end of the hall rather than on the sides like the other rooms. I at first thought it was the bedroom from a suite (that's what it first looked like to me because of the configuration) but I later saw the adjoining room when it was being cleaned and it was not.

Skip the self-parking (it is $5); there is NO in and out so it cost me $15 rather than $5; I later found out that valet is $8 per day WITH in & out..

Everyone gets the breakfast buffet in the morning (all guests; not just HHonors Gold or Diamond); it was pretty good.

In all, a great stay for a 12,000 point point-strecher award stay!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Philly City Line Hilton Redo

The Hilton City Line exec level is now closed for a redo and is estimated to be completed sometime in Apr 2007.

MisterNice
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:59 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue Trip Reports and Reviews

Hello all,

I thought I would give a Philly report. My family was looking for places to stay. Originally thought about ES (ruled out based on reports from here) Omni, but they did not have a lounge level.

They ended up at the City Line Avenue FS Hilton. They were NOT DISAPPOINTED. If you read here and trip advisor, the place gets slammed. I will start from the beginning. They came to town for a holiday visit, new gold based on AMEX and a challenge. Called the hotel advised them coming for an occasion and were getting 2 rooms. They paid for 2 standard rooms and were put on the club level, the 2 biggest non suite rooms (always ask for a room ending in *27* first, then *21*)

The club levels (11, 12) was recently remodeled. New carpets, wallpapers, decor, rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. Rooms have 32" LCD HDTV. Evelyn/Crabtree products, only no bodywashes, still bar soaps Rooms are quiet.

Club floor open for services only, closed between. Also open for weekend services. Evening, finger foods, similar to what we get in a grocery store for super bowl parties. No alcohol in sight though. Continental bfast, fruit and pastry, nothing hot.

Staff was very helpful and polite! The only bummer was that right next door, at homewood suites, they get the free hot breakfast, sausage, bacon, eggs, nice spread.

THis property may be 10 minutes from downtown, but street parking avail, $5 self park, $10 valet. No other properties had lounges.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I put a reply in some other thread (since there are about 10 for every property) but thought I would add it here.

Stayed here in the last week. Of the surrounding properties, this is the nicest. Of the Hilton properties, it is about 5 miles west of downtown. THis can be a 10 minute trip or a 30 minute trip depending on time of day. BUT

BUT BUT BUT BUT

BUT BUT BUT

BUT BUT

BUT BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

It is recently remodeled on the inside (where it counts) the outside is drab, lobby is gorgeous, club floors are great, great beds, great linens, awesome TVs. It is apparently the ONLY hilton property in town with a club level, open weekends to boot. Pool is tiny, but there. CLub lounge is doable, small but decent stuff.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
IIt is recently remodeled on the inside (where it counts) the outside is drab, lobby is gorgeous, club floors are great, great beds, great linens, awesome TVs. It is apparently the ONLY hilton property in town with a club level, open weekends to boot. Pool is tiny, but there. Club lounge is doable, small but decent stuff.
I stayed here this week and I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't stayed here in a while and it really is much improved. I was given a large corner room overlooking the city (it is about 5 miles away). The lounge was open only from 5 - 7pm but the offerings were exceptional with a very nice variety. Since the lounge wasn't open for breakfast we were given complimentary breakfast coupons for a full breakfast buffet with eggs any way you want them.

The staff was extremely friendly. Parking was $5.00 if you park yourself and valet parking was $10.00. We used valet and they were very speedy getting the car.

I usually stay in the Downtown Marriott because of logisitics but this Hilton, IMO, is much nicer than that Marriott.

I'll give my stay :-::-::-::-:s.

Bobette

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.