Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Seoul {KOR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jeffers
Regarding maps, download Naver Maps application on your phone, works well.
Kakao maps will also have English too. Diamonds are always treated quite well here!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffers
Staying here now. Booked a king room, and was upgraded to corner suite (as Diamond). Fantastic room, can highly recommend the ramen downstairs at the noodle bar.
same experience in December ...the room was great. Really wished we had more than one night, but enjoyed it nonetheless.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:13 pm

Those who have taken the limo bus, I see departure times but not ARRIVAL times. It looks like there are 2 stops before the Conrad (from ICN). Is it the same in reverse?

I'm arriving mid day on a weekday. Is it also correct a taxi is basically the same price?

Uber only says "metered" taxi.

Last edited by saaveraward; Mar 20, 2018 at 9:29 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Those who have taken the limo bus, I see departure times but not ARRIVAL times. It looks like there are 2 stops before the Conrad (from ICN). Is it the same in reverse?

I'm arriving mid day on a weekday. Is it also correct a taxi is basically the same price?

Uber only says "metered" taxi.
No, a taxi will be closer to 100 USD for a flat rate. Less comfortable than the bus too. The limousine bus is approximately 15 dollars.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Staying here now ... will add a some things. First, this is a fantastic property, so everything should be interpreted with that as a caveat.
  1. Staying in a room like the one pictured in Buddha's review (https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/05/2...-suite-review/). Have gotten superbtreatment as a diamond (and we did get bears as a gift!) I can't say enough positive about the executive lounge staff! (Also, the Cabernet served in the lounge is pretty good - unlike many other Conrads I have experienced).
  2. Didn't see it in the previous reviews, but in case you haven't experienced it, having a TV in your bathroom mirror is kind of cool if not one of life's great necessities.
  3. The IFC Mall (accessible directly from the Conrad) has lots of less expensive food choices plus places to pick up an item or two as needed.
  4. It's a short walk to a nice walk in a large city park plus a park by the river.
  5. The Pulse workout center is very nice - the only complaint is the limited number of TV channels available on the treadmills and elliptical machines (and in the rooms), if you;re into that.
  6. We like it very quiet and found that the suites on the low-numbered end of the halls have less ventilation/fan noise than those on the high end, although supposedly the view is better from the high end.
  7. Speaking of views, a very large building is going up between the Conrad and the river. Looks as though the river views will be more or less gone in a year or so.
  8. Finally, a consistent complaint (heard from many) is that the elevator doors are slow to open, and it's a little tricky to hold your key up to the pad and press the button for your floor at the same time ... lot's of guests were having trouble and, as one put it, "I have a TV in my bathroom mirror. You would think they could select your floor when you put your key on the pad. Can't be that hard ..." That's undoubtedly the most insignificant complaint I have ever heard about a property!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Staying here now ... will add a some things. First, this is a fantastic property, so everything should be interpreted with that as a caveat.
  1. Staying in a room like the one pictured in Buddha's review (https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/05/2...-suite-review/). Have gotten superbtreatment as a diamond (and we did get bears as a gift!) I can't say enough positive about the executive lounge staff! (Also, the Cabernet served in the lounge is pretty good - unlike many other Conrads I have experienced).
  2. Didn't see it in the previous reviews, but in case you haven't experienced it, having a TV in your bathroom mirror is kind of cool if not one of life's great necessities.
  3. The IFC Mall (accessible directly from the Conrad) has lots of less expensive food choices plus places to pick up an item or two as needed.
  4. It's a short walk to a nice walk in a large city park plus a park by the river.
  5. The Pulse workout center is very nice - the only complaint is the limited number of TV channels available on the treadmills and elliptical machines (and in the rooms), if you;re into that.
  6. We like it very quiet and found that the suites on the low-numbered end of the halls have less ventilation/fan noise than those on the high end, although supposedly the view is better from the high end.
  7. Speaking of views, a very large building is going up between the Conrad and the river. Looks as though the river views will be more or less gone in a year or so.
  8. Finally, a consistent complaint (heard from many) is that the elevator doors are slow to open, and it's a little tricky to hold your key up to the pad and press the button for your floor at the same time ... lot's of guests were having trouble and, as one put it, "I have a TV in my bathroom mirror. You would think they could select your floor when you put your key on the pad. Can't be that hard ..." That's undoubtedly the most insignificant complaint I have ever heard about a property!
great review. What was your original booking category and was this suite an upgrade?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
  1. Speaking of views, a very large building is going up between the Conrad and the river. Looks as though the river views will be more or less gone in a year or so.
It's going to be another mall, department store and a Fairmont hotel. Super tall I've heard.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Our original booking category was a King something, not a suite. This was an upgrade. Have had pretty good luck with upgrades across the Conrad chain and at Asian properties in general. Much better than in the US and Europe.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:55 am

Staying here at the moment for two nights as a Diamond. Arrived last evening. I had booked a King Deluxe Room and was upgraded to a room on the Executive Floor with River View. It is a very nice view; though I think the room is the same as the one I booked, just a high floor. Be warned, I just came from the Andaz Tokyo, so I think my view of luxury is a bit skewed (the Andaz is a phenomenal property).

The Good:
  • Breakfast - This morning I had the included (as a Diamond) buffet breakfast in Zest. I was told I could have it there or in the Executive Lounge. Huge selection of Asian and Western breakfast items.
  • Executive Lounge - I missed the happy hour last night so will try it tonight. The Lounge itself is on the top floor and has nice views (for now) and is a lovely space. One downside is the "No taking soda from the Lounge" signs. Really? Why not let people take a soda or two to their room?
The Bad:
  • Pool Facilities - as a guest you have access to the pool and gym; that's it. The pool is nice but essentially a lap pool. If you want to use the hot tub/steam room/sauna, it is an extra $39! This is super tacky, especially for a high end hotel. It is also a paid membership gym for non-Conrad guests and they clearly cater towards those members over hotel guests. I'm guessing they don't want the sauna area to become crowded.
  • Elevators - they are slow to come to your floor and they randomly ding, making you think that it has arrived when it hasn't. Maybe the sound is traveling from other floors but it is very odd.
  • Location - Yes, there is the mall, but otherwise there isn't much around except for offices. It's not a long subway ride into the city center, but the neighborhood has zero character.
  • Towels - Okay, maybe I am being picky, but the towels are ancient and thread bare. You would think a luxury property would invest in high end towels. The sheets are stiff and not very comfortable.
The Mediocre:
  • The Room - The room is very nice for a business hotel. But it doesn't feel over the top. Average size. Not particularly modern. I do appreciate the lighting; lots of LED backlighting throughout that gives it a more luxurious feel.
  • The Service - I would say that the service has also been good but not over the top. Very businesslike.
This is my first visit to a Conrad. I think I was expecting it to be on the level of a Park Hyatt, where really it feels like a Grand Hyatt to me.

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Mar 29, 2018 at 2:17 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Staying here at the moment for two nights as a Diamond. Arrived last evening. I had booked a King Deluxe Room and was upgraded to a room on the Executive Floor with River View. It is a very nice view; though I think the room is the same as the one I booked, just a high floor. Be warned, I just came from the Andaz Tokyo, so I think my view of luxury is a bit skewed (the Andaz is a phenomenal property).

The Good:
  • Breakfast - This morning I had the included (as a Diamond) buffet breakfast in Zest. I was told I could have it there or in the Executive Lounge. Huge selection of Asian and Western breakfast items.
  • Executive Lounge - I missed the happy hour last night so will try it tonight. The Lounge itself is on the top floor and has nice views (for now) and is a lovely space. One downside is the "No taking soda from the Lounge" signs. Really? Why not let people take a soda or two to their room?
The Bad:
  • Pool Facilities - as a guest you have access to the pool and gym; that's it. The pool is nice but essentially a lap pool. If you want to use the hot tub/steam room/sauna, it is an extra $39! This is super tacky, especially for a high end hotel. It is also a paid membership gym for non-Conrad guests and they clearly cater towards those members over hotel guests. I'm guessing they don't want the sauna area to become crowded.
  • Elevators - they are slow to come to your floor and they randomly ding, making you think that it has arrived when it hasn't. Maybe the sound is traveling from other floors but it is very odd.
  • Location - Yes, there is the mall, but otherwise there isn't much around except for offices. It's not a long subway ride into the city center, but the neighborhood has zero character.
  • Towels - Okay, maybe I am being picky, but the towels are ancient and thread bare. You would think a luxury property would invest in high end towels. The sheets are stiff and not very comfortable.
The Mediocre:
  • The Room - The room is very nice for a business hotel. But it doesn't feel over the top. Average size. Not particularly modern. I do appreciate the lighting; lots of LED backlighting throughout that gives it a more luxurious feel.
  • The Service - I would say that the service has also been good but not over the top. Very businesslike.
This is my first visit to a Conrad. I think I was expecting it to be on the level of a Park Hyatt, where really it feels like a Grand Hyatt to me.
No. You're right about the towels. They're too hard and worn. Some parts of the hotel also have excessive signs of wear and tear too. Rooms and common areas. Just very cheap owners who built a Conrad on the cheap.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:23 am

ugh great... You're reminding me of the Conrad Dubai which is a complete dump and mis-managed top to bottom. Will be there soon and report back.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I booked a five night award stay here for later in the year. I have only been to Seoul once for less than 24 hours and did not stay in the Conrad.
My feelings about previous stays with Conrad are -
Tokyo and Macau - great, I love both of these hotels
Bangkok and Singapore - the Conrad is satisfactory but nothing to get excited about

I am looking for Asian urban (not a beach), nice breakfast, nice executive lounge, decent room. I am a credit card Diamond. My available points make a hotel that is in the 50K range per night much more attractive than those in the 80K to 95K range. Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Osaka are out of consideration because of their points cost and because I have been to those cities enough times.
So I was considering Seoul and Manila (and to a lesser extent the China locations).

Do those of you with experience at multiple Conrads think that Conrad Seoul is a good choice for me - if not what would be better? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jbeckett; Mar 29, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:46 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by jbeckett
I booked a five night award stay here for later in the year. I have only been to Seoul once for less than 24 hours and did not stay in the Conrad.
My feelings about previous stays with Conrad are -
Tokyo and Macau - great, I love both of these hotels
Bangkok and Singapore - the Conrad is satisfactory but nothing to get excited about

I am looking for Asian urban (not a beach), nice breakfast, nice executive lounge, decent room. I am a credit card Diamond. My available points make a hotel that is in the 50K range per night much more attractive than those in the 80K to 95K range. Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Osaka are out of consideration because of their points cost and because I have been to those cities enough times.
So I was considering Seoul and Manila (and to a lesser extent the China locations).

Do those of you with experience at multiple Conrads think that Conrad Seoul is a good choice for me - if not what would be better? Thanks in advance.
I haven been to all the Conrads you mention. Manila and Seoul are both very nice and I would probably rate them similar to Macau and Tokyo rather than Singapore and Bangkok. I find it hard to recommend one over the other simply in terms of how the hotel is because Seoul and Manila are two completely different cities. In my opinion, what you are looking for in a city visit would trump the differences between these two hotels. Both are great.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by Aventine
No. You're right about the towels. They're too hard and worn. Some parts of the hotel also have excessive signs of wear and tear too. Rooms and common areas. Just very cheap owners who built a Conrad on the cheap.
Could you give some examples of the wear and tear? I was last here in Fall 2015 but planning on a stay later this year. Back then, I was impressed with my room and amenities. I ranked it slightly over my stay in Conrad Tokyo a couple of months later. The larger lounge area and the EL staff won me over.
Who are the owners? Heard from a friend that its LG. Well at least its not as bad as Conrad Manila. While a nice property, you could really tell SM Investments (Philippine conglomerate) cut some corners with the materials and craftsmanship. My stay was roughly seven months after opening and some furnishings in my room were already looking worn.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gradfly
Could you give some examples of the wear and tear? I was last here in Fall 2015 but planning on a stay later this year. Back then, I was impressed with my room and amenities. I ranked it slightly over my stay in Conrad Tokyo a couple of months later. The larger lounge area and the EL staff won me over.
Who are the owners? Heard from a friend that its LG. Well at least its not as bad as Conrad Manila. While a nice property, you could really tell SM Investments (Philippine conglomerate) cut some corners with the materials and craftsmanship. My stay was roughly seven months after opening and some furnishings in my room were already looking worn.
It's not run down by any means but I expected it to hold up better. I've also seen wear and tear in some rooms, the ballroom doors, the sidepaneling of the Ballroom hallway and a spa treatment room. The owners are one of AIG's global equity funds. I'm not surprised a hedge fund wants to maximize earnings and put as little back into the hotel as possible.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 30, 2018 at 7:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.