Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Seoul {KOR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kt85
4 of us will be reaching ICN at about 0730 and heading straight to the hotel from the airport. What will be our best mode of transportation there?

Airport bus, train or taxi?

Seems like taxi is the better option since there are four of us? Will the boot be big enough for 4 cabin size luggages?
I'd suggest the airport limousine bus because it's door-to-door and no worrying about transfers or bags. A very comfortable, direct ride for the 4 of you.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:45 am

Seems like taxi is the better option since there are four of us? Will the boot be big enough for 4 cabin size luggages?
Price will be similar for a standard taxi, but since most run on LPG, boot space may be an issue unless you find a diesel one. A 'jumbo' taxi (minivan) costs about 50% more.

Limousine bus will definitely be more comfortable than 4 passengers in a Sonata or similar. If you want first pick of seats and arrive on Star Alliance, I suggest trekking upstream to the Korean Air side of the terminal where the bus stops first.

It will probably come down to how long the wait is for the next bus.

P.S. I just noticed you will be hitting rush hour traffic into Seoul. Definitely recommend the limousine bus then, unless you use one of the flat-fare 'international taxis'.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:27 am

Another vote for the limousine bus.

The time saving will be fairly minimal or in favour of the bus (which can go on the bus lanes). Comfort is definitely in favour of the bus, with its domestic F style reclining seats.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
Another vote for the limousine bus.

The time saving will be fairly minimal or in favour of the bus (which can go on the bus lanes). Comfort is definitely in favour of the bus, with its domestic F style reclining seats.
The bus is less hassle than bargaining the van mafia too.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
Many thanks for all ur help! Limousine bus it is then.

Now, I am hoping that i will be getting gold benefits (breakfast) for both room then. Past reviews above say that they are being stingy now..
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
The limousine bus route is #6030 and the fare is 15000KRW.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Any recent review from this place? We are thinking of spending 6 nights here as our home base. We just want to explore the city. Cool neighbourhoods, good food, cool coffee shops, etc. We have bikes rented and will bike everywhere. Is this an OK place to stay as a jumping off point? We have free nights so would like to stay here.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Any recent review from this place? We are thinking of spending 6 nights here as our home base. We just want to explore the city. Cool neighbourhoods, good food, cool coffee shops, etc. We have bikes rented and will bike everywhere. Is this an OK place to stay as a jumping off point? We have free nights so would like to stay here.
Seoul drivers can be nuts, kind of hilly and you'd have to cross a very busy long bridge (Wonhyodaegyo) to get back to the hotel from Hongdae or Shinchon (sounds like your kind of area). Yeouido is a business, finance area with no cool neighborhoods, ok food and not many boutique coffee shops. It's going to be a long ride everyday. Biking to Sinsa and the Garosugil would be nuts. Just use the subway. Cheap, clean and takes you almost everywhere.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Biking around the local area could be fun and easy to go to dinner etc, but you can also just walk. I'd stick to the subway for touring; it goes pretty much everywhere and the core city didn't strike me as super bike friendly.

Last edited by abaheti; Oct 31, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Thanks for your advice. I don't want to make this a debate about cycling, as we generally hear the same comments from people, but have biked successfully as a way of exploration through most major cities in Asia, so let's leave that part out.

It sounds like this place is just too far removed from the cool neighborhoods for us to consider. Aventine, you hit the nail on the head with the kind of hoods we like.

I look on a map though, and the Conrad to Hongdae/Shinchon is only 5 KM using the Seogangdaegyo Bridge. Admittedly, I have NO concept of Seoul as we have never been there, but that doesn't sound that bad?

The other Hilton hotels look farther from this area as the crow flies, although there is no river to cross.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Oct 31, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your advice. I don't want to make this a debate about cycling, as we generally hear the same comments from people, but have biked successfully as a way of exploration through most major cities in Asia, so let's leave that part out.

It sounds like this place is just too far removed from the cool neighborhoods for us to consider. Aventine, you hit the nail on the head with the kind of hoods we like.

I look on a map though, and the Conrad to Hongdae/Shinchon is only 5 KM using the Seogangdaegyo Bridge. Admittedly, I have NO concept of Seoul as we have never been there, but that doesn't sound that bad?

The other Hilton hotels look farther from this area as the crow flies, although there is no river to cross.
Once you know the direction (NW-ish from the hotel), I guess it's okay to bike there. I would use Yanghwadaegyo because better scenery and Hapjeong, Hongdae are probably where you want to be.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Thanks for your advice. I don't want to make this a debate about cycling, as we generally hear the same comments from people, but have biked successfully as a way of exploration through most major cities in Asia, so let's leave that part out.....

Agreed and apologies for the bike comments if you've done it before then you should be fine. Seoul is by NO means the worst city I've seen for drivers or following traffic rules.

As for the other Hilton, my recollection is that it involves a relatively steep hill for 150 meters or so which may or may not be an issue for you depending on the bike and what kind of shape you're in. Maybe check google street view of your approach paths and see what you think.

As far as a hotel goes, and if the other issues don't deter you, the Conrad is my pick just for being such an amazing property.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
Currently staying in Seoul Conrad. I am a gold member, and I booked 2 connecting rooms. Initially they only offered breakfast for 1 room. I then enquired about extending it to the other room, only after a bit of deliberations, they reluctantly offered it to the other room. The reason they gave was since they can't upgrade me as I want connecting rooms, they will offer the breakfast to the 2nd room.

They do not give out the bears anymore too. It is for sale now. tskkk..

Other then that, a very nice stay in the financial area. Subway is a short 10 mins way away through the IFC mall.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently staying in Seoul Conrad. I am a gold member, and I booked 2 connecting rooms. Initially they only offered breakfast for 1 room. I then enquired about extending it to the other room, only after a bit of deliberations, they reluctantly offered it to the other room. The reason they gave was since they can't upgrade me as I want connecting rooms, they will offer the breakfast to the 2nd room.

They do not give out the bears anymore too. It is for sale now. tskkk..

Other then that, a very nice stay in the financial area. Subway is a short 10 mins way away through the IFC mall.
There's also a ton of eating options in the mall b2.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
There's also a ton of eating options in the mall b2.
Completely agree! Partner and I went around the IFC mall to have a bit of food as well - https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/05/3...l-food-review/

In terms of the actual property, we stayed in the Grand Executive Suite early this year and absolutely loved it! The food at the lounge and also the breakfast was excellent - the only downside is the fact that the IFC district is a bit of a failed project in South Korea because most of the offices are still empty. My review of the property is here:
https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/05/2...-suite-review/
https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/05/2...akfast-review/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.