Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside {US-CA}

Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Embassy Suites by Hilton Monterey Bay Seaside

1441 Canyon Del Rey, Seaside, California, 93955, USA
TEL: +1-831-393-1115
FAX: +1-831-899-1928
Website

Self-Parking $14.00 nightly
Shuttle: no
Pets: no
Smoking: no (outside area for smokers)
Driving times to / from:
MRY - 10 minutes (2 miles)
SJC - 1.5 hours (70 miles)
SFO or OAK - 2.5 hours (~100 miles)
Room tips: avoid suites with connecting doors; the door isn't well insulated.

Avoid suites -00 through -03 and -11 through -14, as they're in corners with the elevators / lifts.

Avoid lower floors for street noise.

Amenities
225 non-smoking suites with separate bedroom and parkour (dining / living area), with WiFi access, two remote control televisions, a wet bar, fridge, microwave, in room safe
Indoor pool
Fully-equipped fitness center
Open-air atrium lobby
Business center 24 hrs
Complimentary daily made-to-order breakfast
Complimentary Evening Reception
Located two blocks from beachfront
Bay views available
Room service
Coin laundry ($2 for washing, $2 for drying; soap etc. at gift shop)
Gift shop
Nearby shopping, dining
Downtown Monterey 10-20 minutes away, depending on traffic conditions

Dining
Complimentary breakfast in atrium
In room dining: 11:30 am - 1:30 pm & 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm?
Silver Tides Bar & Grill Open Daily: 11:30 am - 1:30 pm & 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sample Restaurant Menu (link to PDF)
Sample Wine Menu (link to PDF)

Bayside Coffee & Trading Co. Starbucks coffees, limited hot and cold beverages, quick snacks and gifts, souvenirs.

Print Wikipost

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside {US-CA}

Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Heck, I stayed at this ES during Super Bowl Sunday and received nothing at all as a Diamond member above the regular benefits for all guests. I couldn't even get a room with a better view. I was not impressed with the lack of recognition for a Diamond member.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I can vouch for the fact Diamonds do not get free drinks chits at this property. (In fact, it's hard to get staff's attention at all, sometimes.)

We can this ghost benefit.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
I can vouch for the fact Diamonds do not get free drinks chits at this property. (In fact, it's hard to get staff's attention at all, sometimes.)

We can this ghost benefit.
+1. I stayed here in July, 2012. At check in, I was offered some free chips, snacks, soda etc to take with me to the room. Nothing else.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:47 am

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside
(It's actually in Seaside!) Web page link
1441 Canyon Del Rey, Seaside, California, 93955, USA 1-831-393-1115
Myron McWhorter, Front Office Manager

Check-in: 4:00 pm; Check-out: 12:00 pm
Smoking: Not Available Parking: says $10, but free
Reward category: 7 (50,000 points per night)

Getting here: You won't have any problem - this sore thumb of an alien pink cube is visible from anywhere in the area. Just drive toward it, check in and be assimilated. (Exit Highway 1 at Exit 403 for CA-218 toward Seaside/Del Rey Oaks. Travel east on Canyon Del Rey to first stop light. Hotel is located at the intersection of Canyon del Rey and Del Monte Blvd.) 2 miles from MRY airport, 70 mi from SJC. 3 miles from Cannery Row, 6 to Carmel, 30 to Bug Sur.

Wow, Grace, this IS amazing - no trip reports since 2005!

Nonetheless, I suspect not much has changed since nwr1txg's 2004 report, either. This property is still the gross, huge pink block with a blue roof you can see from anywhere in the area, a true architectural eyesore on the bay. Views are OK (across a pond and highway CA 1, Home Depot to your immediate right), and of course the Monterey Peninsula, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Point Lobos and Big Sur make this area a spectacular destination.

It's truly huge. Sprawled parking lot - you arrive late on a weekend, you may have to walk a block to check in, not so convenient at night or on a rainy day. It's actually not so far from Monterey itself, and you have two options - Del Monte Ave. along the seaside or Highway 1, but you can expect to be at your destination within minutes (unless you take Del Monte during rush hour at the Naval Postgraduate School).

On arrival, there were two huge cartloads of baggage blocking the three check in desks, but there was nobody at the desks anyway (nearly 3 PM on a Wednesday, 19 Sep 2012).

When an agent finally came, of course she went to the far left desk, as I was at the right / center desk, separated by the pillars of luggage. I smiled, said hello and told her my name - six times, spelling it after the first. She told me there was no record of my booking, so I showed her my TripIt printout and she checked the number - "Oh, J-diver - I was hearing A-diver". (I enunciate pretty well, as I have done much public speaking, legislative testimony, some radio and television.) No apology, just shoved my keys at me, and then realized... and got my preprinted letter, asked me what beverages I wanted, and shoved a basket of snacks at me and told me I could take one.

We moved to the elevators (there are three - two near the entrance, one at the far left of the atrium), but one was broken and placarded, and as we entered the working one an employee jammed one of the pillars of luggage on wheels between us and the elevator buttons; neither he nor the other passenger could be bothered when I asked if someone would please press the "12" button, so I had to reach around.

We were assigned a suite on the 12th floor - 1208 - 1212 have western views of the Monterey Bay as well as have patios; 1208 is the northern corner and 1213 is the Presidential Suite. The 12th floor is the highest, and you can feel and hear the rumble of what I presume is the air conditioning system continuously day and night. Though there is double glazing, you can still hear some traffic from the streets below and Highway 1, and as we bedded down I could hear the television in the room next door.

The suite itself has the bedroom with ocean (and highway 1) view on the right, after the bathroom, and the dining - living area with the patio with table and two chairs on the left. All are in an blue-green coloured carpet with grey wavy lines, slightly textured and vermiculated patterned ivory coloured walls, with an overly ornate gold framed print in each room, blonde woods with some sea-decor, like a table lamp with a faux ammonite on the table. The living room has a sofa-bed and armchair, large sliding glass door looking out to sea, and a three drawer chest with flatscreen television.

The dining table could seat four, but only has two very uncomfortable side chairs with wet bar, fridge and microwave, cafe express two-cup maker with tea and coffee packets in a box immediately behind. (WiFi available, but not very rapid.)

The bedroom is a bit more compact than many Embassy Suites, with a niche and chair for makeup with a fairly ghastly fluorescent fixture over it (takes a minute or two to come on), a chest of three drawers with flat screen TV, small closet with ironing set and luggage jack, night tables, duvet and several pillows on what I believe is actually a Queen bed and not the advertised King. The decor is so 1950s... Welcome, President Eisenhower!

The bathroom is long, with a long faux marble counter, only one sink, a shower tub with a sagging shower curtain rod that has apparently been broken for some time, with a shower curtain that has at least one grommet torn out of it, so no matter what you do the curtain will not stay fixed at either end = water escaping onto the floor. The housekeeper hid some dirt under the nicely folded curtain, found when we tried to deploy the curtain for a shower.

We missed the "manager's reception", but we came into the property toward the end and saw hordes of people with paper plates with chips and salsa, and plastic cups of beer.

Breakfast is again adequate for an Embassy Suites - omelets to order, but forget pancakes, waffles, etc. and a buffet with a couple of fruit offerings, yoghurt, scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, paper-thin bacon, white bread and bagels (no English muffins nor much varietys) and a couple of "Danish" pastries, juices dispensers and Nescaf machines. Very pro forma, and it can get very crowded (we ate at 6:30 AM, and there were perhaps 20 having breakfast).

Lighting is adequate, amenities are as well, but all in all, this is a hotel that exists for larger families that swarm on the weekends and holidays and does not do much to keep it up nor to welcome HHonors statusholders.

Why are we here? Big event to attend tonight (Thursday) celebrating the 25th anniversary of the founding of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, so a Trustees and Leadership Council event and dinner at MBARI itself, and because it is the weekend of the (55th) Annual Monterey Jazz Festival there was not a room at the HGI, and this was available for $159 plus taxes per night (we depart Friday, no desire for the Festival crowds).

Day 2: The dirt on the tub has not been cleaned, some chipped areas on the interiors (walls, etc.) show too clearly, and with a full house coming today, one of three elevators is still inoperative (and from the look of the placard, it has been so for some time).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 21, 2012 at 9:56 am Reason: update
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

jdiver has given a superb overview of the property. I will only add bits and pieces.

We flew into the airport, picked up our rental car, and headed to Tarpys, just 1/2 mile from the airport. We enjoy their food and it is super convenient to the airport. I hadn't paid any attention to the hotel location, so was surprised to find it so close. We went to the traffic light beyond Tarpys and turned left. 2.8 miles down the road was the hotel.

We had better Hilton diamond treatment than reported by jdiver on his stay just a few weeks earlier. We were offered two bottles of water plus a choice of snack each (various chips and candy bars) at the check in desk. We also found water and snacks in our room. We were given 1211 which has a dead on view to the ocean. We were surprised by the traffic noise. The cars go up and down the coastal highway at quite a good speed. We didn't notice it with windows closed but did in the morning. Our room had a new mattress and it was outstanding. We had a great night of sleep.

We had a couple maintenance issues in our room, and had the maintenance man come to our room. He wasn't able to do the repair. The front desk very cheerfully gave me a discount on the room, quite a bit more than I anticipated. We were also given more beverages and snacks for the road. While I truly don't enjoy an Embassy Suite breakfast, staff was very solicitous and checked our plates to see what they might suggest that they could bring. For example, I had a pancake and the server offered to bring syrup.

I don't expect much in service at a hotel of this level. I felt that the staff worked hard to provide a little extra to make it a pleasant stay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Agreed. We had the benefit on a previous stay at this hotel, but at our recent stay (October 2012) it was no longer offered.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
A new note for this property. Lately, the property description on the web site has mentioned a $10 parking charge, but it seemed to be erroneous. However, when I checked in today, I was told that *soon* they will start charging.

IMO, I don't see how this can be implemented well. They share a parking lot with the next door Chilis not to mention other properties nearby (a Holiday Inn Express and a strip mall) that don't charge for parking.

Just be prepared for this possibility in case you happened to be checking in anytime soon.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:55 pm

Embassy is in need of a complete renovation

I am in Monterey every week and stay the night(s) for business. This hotel is a dump. It hasn't been remodeled or refurbished since it opened. Regularly one of the three (very slow) elevators is out if service. The rooms are so very dared and tired. The manager's reception is the zoo you can imagine for free alcohol. The breakfast buffet is low budget.

I only stay in this hotel when all my other options are sold out or out of my travel budget.

And as PP mentioned good luck with charging for parking.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Yikes. I didn't realize this place was so bad - I'm booked here in October. Is the Hilton Garden Inn Monterey much better? If not I can probably stay in Santa Cruz without complicating my life too much.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Yes, this place is a dump. Going to the Manager's reception, got stuck in the elevator (South Western Corner) for 45 minutes on the 12th floor. They had to call the fire department to get me out.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I'm currently here now. To me, this place is far from "dump" status. Yes, the room decor is a bit dated, but everything seems to be clean. Beds are comfortable. There is one elevator out, but there are signs saying that guests can use the service elevator if they want. Breakfast seems to be the typical ES fare. The nightly reception is far from a zoo, but that may be due to the low occupancy rates for the past few nights.

I will say there appears to have been some major turnover in management here. Not sure if that is good or bad. Only time will tell.

If price was equal, I still prefer this ES to the HGI.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by StevenH123
Yikes. I didn't realize this place was so bad - I'm booked here in October. Is the Hilton Garden Inn Monterey much better? If not I can probably stay in Santa Cruz without complicating my life too much.
HGI used to be a Hilton, Holiday Inn, and who knows what else. Right on the freeway, noise from hallways, noise from freeway if you're on the wrong side. It's been somewhat renovated, but I try to avoid this one as well. ES can definitely be a dump/zoo also. Hasn't been a good HH property in the area since the DT reflagged.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StevenH123
I stayed at the Hilton Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley about a year back, and I really liked it. Up in the hills, very quiet, and was treated very well by the staff.

The Hampton Inn in S.C. is okay, but the parking lot is cramped and I always get panhandled.

David
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:54 pm

I will stay at the HGI anytime over this place. The HGI is NOT noisy if one stays on the rooms on the west side (extensively discussed in the property thread), has much more attentive and welcoming staff, a much better breakfast, etc. (The DoubleTree that reflagged as Marriott didn't even award HHonors points, never mind water, breakfast chits, upgrades or the like, so I don't miss it.)

We did stay here three nights this week (T-W-Th) as it was cheaper and closer to our meeting venue in Moss Landing. My observations:

It's been repainted on the outside, and is no longer pink - but it is still the same sore thumb that sticks out from any Monterey Bay location within sight. Arrival was tepid in terms of staff, Diamond status and HH account preferences pretty much useless here. Even Nor1 requests were ignored, never mind "far from elevator - upper floor" preferences (and no, the property was not even close to full occupancy). Two bottles of water was pretty much it. Parking is in a large open lot, with plenty of nearby foot traffic day and night, as well as an extended hours Chili's restaurant.

One elevator (out of three, serving 225 rooms on twelve floors) was out of order - not so crowded during the week, though plenty of tour groups and busses as well as military and contractors, meant lots of waiting at times - the elevator has been broken for over two weeks.

Yes, the decor is out of the 1960s, the wall paint ghastly jaundice yellow - the outside has been painted, but the rub spots etc. on the inside show it was not - and in our bathroom both hot and cold water handles leaked water, the air con set at 68 F was not sufficient to keep it at 72 F, so housekeeping opened the window (and this is with a high temperature locally in the low 70s). The rooms are noisy - unless you get one in the back of the house, you overlook two fairly well used streets (Del Monte and Canyon del Rey Blvds. - and in the distance Highway 1), so even on the 7th floor I needed ear plugs.

I did enjoy the nice mattress and the extra extra firm pillows among the pillow selection and the linens (some Hilton and some Sysco - I had no idea Sysco provided linens). Wi-Fi was dreadful, even though we were on floor 7 and not the highest level, 12.

The breakfast is inferior to many Embassy Suites and certainly to the breakfast offerings at the Monterey HGI (see SST's post above) - omelets, yes, but no waffles or pancakes, no eggs Benedict; fruit very unripe honeydew melon and watermelon chunks - no strawberries or pineapple, like at the HGI. Penurious on bread offerings; coffee is watered down and nasty. An older Egyptian man works here many mornings and he can't be helpful enough.

Too boot, the property lost my laundry - though the prices are more reasonable than many for this, losing laundry made it a nonstarter (they did finally find it the third time I inquired, so I could dress the way I wanted for an important - at least to me - dinner).

Honestly, it feels they are "mining" this high-demand family resort property and I will continue to book away when possible. (The benefits of course are full suites with capacity for four people, and easy access to State highway 1.)

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm Reason: final touches
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I was there a few weeks ago in August and I got charged parking. Didn't really care as it was getting expensed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.