Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County {US-CA}

Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County {US-CA}

Old Jun 10, 07, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My experience at the Courtyard in Larkspur (I had training to provide at nearby San Quentin State Prison the latter half of last year, so I selected the the closest property,) was that it has run down quite a bit, was noisy and almost Ramada-like.

I've stayed at the ES San Rafael and would recommend it over the Courtyard for space, breakfast, etc. I've stayed there for Marin County, hq'd next door at the still-striking-on-the-outside Marin County Civic Center, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (completed by tohers after his death, and definitely dated on the inside.)

The Courtyard is close to the ferry landing, restaurants and a few shops, and on the road to the Richmond Bay Bridge route to Berkeley; the ES isn't too far from it, and there's a back way.
Old Jun 11, 07, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
Well, the Courtyard is going to be about $40 more a night with no breakfast and so-so reviews.... Embassy Suites it is!

Thanks again,
Marcia
Old Aug 13, 07, 11:29 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I stayed there last week (one night).
Was upgraded to a 2-bedroom (king/king) suite.
(Figures...traveling without the family and for only 1 night).

The property was recently renovated and still "smelled" new.

Very nice staff at both the manager's reception and breakfast.

Would definitely stay there again.
Old Aug 18, 07, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
It's a great hotel -- nice rooms, good reception, great breakfast. Just beware of the outrageous $20 a day for internet. When I complained to Hilton, the Embassy Suites manager called and said they would be getting rid of it soon, but check before you go.

Marcia
Old Nov 22, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Stayed here the other night...

The staff was super friendly and was given a very nice upgrade + late check out.
The rooms are start seem a little dated but I really dont care about things like that.
There was a little noise bleed between the rooms but nothing that prevented sleep.
Old Feb 13, 17, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone stayed here recently? I might have to spend a night in the San Rafael area and the only other place that shows up is a very faded Sheraton Four Points.

Given that this place was opened 13 years ago, has it been remodeled recently? I've had problems with very old Embassy Suites elsewhere.
Old Feb 13, 17, 11:55 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
It is above average for its age; a nice property. It is in a safe, quiet location and generally well maintained. Since it is not as high as most older Embassy Suites, the courtyard set up does not generate as much noise. Breakfast area is pretty large. Given the lack of other options nearby (unless you want to drive up to Santa Rosa, but there is currently construction between Petaluma and Novato), I think this is a good option. Also, on points, it is quite reasonable for the location.
Old Feb 14, 17, 6:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, but this does sound a bit like "damning with faint praise." There really isn't much else in the immediate area. My main concern is the condition of the rooms and that is the one area where you really didn't have much comment.
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:27 pm

It's a very midrange ES...forgettable lobby, forgettable rooms, forgettable F&B. You've probably stayed at many others just like it. As with many ES, which are subject to kids sleepovers and other abuse, your room condition could vary widely. Not sure what additional info you need.
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:10 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
There was nothing wrong with the room as I recall but it certainly did not stand out. Sleep quality was great; it was quiet. The room as I recall was a bit on the dark side, and odor free (odor free, unlike the Walnut Creek Embassy Suites that smells of stale smoke or the Temecula Embassy Suites with odors emitting out of the bathroom sink). I recall the bathroom seemed to have been recently remodeled when I was there, a year or two ago.

I have not had very good experiences with Embassy Suites as a brand in general... hence my tone. I think I had bad luck with them. I much prefer Hilton, HGI, or Hampton.
Old Feb 18, 17, 12:09 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I've done three stays there and have been satisfied. Nothing exceptional, but nothing horrible. Good location to 101, so good for exploring the area.
Old Feb 18, 17, 7:05 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA Plat (3MM)/HH Diamond
I usually stay here at least once a year. I like it. Good location - not too far from the city, but already on the way to wine country - and very close to Muir Woods. I always try and mix business with pleasure and this location permits it. Quiet property, situated away from any traffic noise. Rooms are a standard ES set-up - I had no problems whatsoever with the room quality. I would have no hesitation staying there - in fact, I'll be back in May.
Old Sep 17, 18, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by ptownca View Post
I've done three stays there and have been satisfied. Nothing exceptional, but nothing horrible. Good location to 101, so good for exploring the area.
I think this review encapsulates this hotel. Certainly not horrible, but way dated and in need of remodeling. The area over the breakfast kitchen area is spottily covered with old plastic plants, and tho unattractive, not smelly or noisy. It was very convenient for our weekend with relatives, so it was fine.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG Pt
Staid here recently, beginning a major refurb soonish. Rooms are very noisy, let's say that both my adjoining rooms had very passionate people staying there, was offered 5k points at check-out as compensation...

Banner near elevators touts all the new things post-refurb, though I have to say with the parking-fee added on I had expected a bit more from this hotel.

Restaurant for dinner is quite good, whereas breakfast is way overcrowded.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: