Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Arrow Hilton Nottingham {GBR}

Hi,

I arrived at the Hilton Nottingham ( Milton Street) after a 30min taxi ride from East Midlands Airport.

Check in was quick and efficient and I was given room 115 on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast Rate of £ 89 GBP ( company paying for the visit). My room reservation was for a double room. Abo****ely no recogniition of HH Gold benefits were given.

I got to the room and it was a double room with 2 single beds with a view of .... a large metal tube outside in the inner courtyard the back walls.Room 115 is beside an internal swing door so you may get some noise ( I did not hear anytihng after 1130pm). I also thought I would here noise from the vent outside but no problems.

With no ac in the room ( no vent in the bathroom) after a shower the bathroom steamed up and you could feel the room tempreature rise.

The room was small but reaosnably well apointed with Internet via the TV ( 10p per minute), tea/coffeee, fan ( no a/c) and a small desk. Alarm clock was via the TV.The bathroom was small with the WC on a diagonal wall which reduced the bathroom space. However it was clean ( both bathorrom and room looked recently renovated).Water pressure was fine.

The restaurant was the Bar Bacoa which offered a wide variety of meals at reasonable prices.Service and food quality were good.

The fitness centre ( living well) was very nice with a large fitness centre, 18m swimming pool with sauna and steam room ( open 630am to 10pm ( closes at 8pm at weekends).

Breakfast was at the Bar Bacoa ( full breakfast included in the rate) with a samll slection of fruit but a large hot selection, wide choice of cereal, bread and yoghut. Service was ok ( no second cup of coffee but I was in a hurry) ( self service juice).

Check out was quick and the bill was sent directly to the company for payment.

I was disapointed that no upgrades/benefits were offered and would have complained but I was only there for a short time ( 8pm last night to 9am today).

The hotel is next to the Victoria centre in the north part of the city centre and 15mins walk from the railway station. The Castle is work a walk up to to enjoy some wonderful views.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:07 am

Pre-Authorisation of £60 - Nottingham Hilton (UK)?

During a trip up to Newcastle this past weekend, we stayed at the Nottingham Hilton twice - once on Friday night, once on Sunday. Due to prices/availability, the first stay was booked through hilton.co.uk and the second stay was booked through Expedia. Am Hilton Gold

The first stay was fine. Took at imprint of my Amex card. Everything was normal.

The second stay a different woman check us in. I handed over my Amex card (for an impront) as usual. She said, "I will be charging your card £109". Errrr??? I asked why. She said "£49 for the room rate and a £60 pre-authorisation for incidentals". I argued over this (had already paid for the room in full with Expedia! No idea where she got the £49 room rate from... ). I also argued about the £60.... although my card was "swiped" I did not have any such amount pre-authorised during the stay at the same hotel two nights before. Nor at the Marriott the night before, nor at any other hotels recently. Anyway, she insisted that she would take this £60 or I would have to "pay as I go". I was not impressed by the lady at check-in or the whole way that she dealt with the situation....

It struck me afterwards that MAYBE the Hilton took a pre-authorisation for £60 because we were on an expedia rate? But that doesn't seem to make sense, since originally she thought that we were on a £49 rate (presumably with Hilton directly).

Alternatively is this pre-authorisation for "some amount" (the lady at check-in implied that different people get charged different amounts of pre-authorisation...) quite normal? Is it that each time my card is swiped at check-in, that a certain amount is pre-authorised (and that this is just not explained to me normally)? Regardless of the explaining, on this occassion I was given a printed credit card receipt at the time of the pre-authorisation (or £60) - that certainly doesn't normally happen...

Thanks,
Boo
(a bit confused!)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've been asked to leave a deposit for incidentals if paying by cash, and have noticed, when using a debit card, that there is an amount, higher than the room charge, posted as a current transaction on the day of check-in. It then drops off after a day or two, replaced by the final bill amount.

I'd have stated that I'd pay as I went, in that situation.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I have stayed at the Hilton Nottingham twice in the last few months (both prepaid rates) and on both occasions they swiped my credit card for a pre-authorisation of I think £50 per night, they did inform me of this. However this has also happened when I stayed at the London Metropole. On my on line account it showed up as a recent unbilled transaction, I wondered what on earth it was, I had not been informed that they would be doing this but it dropped off the unbilled transactions within a few days.

I usually charge everything to my room rather than pay as I go for drinks etc so that I get the points.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hhonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I just returned from the Hilton Cancun. When I checked my credit card charges I noticed 8000 pesos (about $700)charged to my American Express on the day of checkin. When I contacted the hotel I was told that this was a preauthorization so that I could charge to my room. Was told that an 8000 peso credit would appear on my card 21 days after the the transaction. I dont think they told me this at check in.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Most hotels (of all chains) do a pre-authorization of a 'set' amount when you check in. If you logged into your cc (or debit) account immediately after checking in, you'd see it.

It obviously ties up your credit for a few days, but then usually drops off & when you check out the 'real' amount is charged to your cc or debit. If you didn't know it though, it could possibly cause difficulties.

Usually it's just $50/Euro/GPB night for award stay, or room amount (which varies) + $50-100 per night for paid stays. Not normally Expedia ++. But I had an instance where a UK hotel put a $400 hold on my cc for a $90 US stay - that was an unexpected (unpleasant) surprise.

The credit doesn't normally take 21 days after posting to clear, as the cc's & debit co's have a set amount of time the vendors are allowed to post the charge or the 'hold' drops. For example, I was recently at the Vienna Hilton & there was a $700 pre-auth for an award stay (70Euros/night). It dropped off 4 days later. The real charge (incidentals) of $50 posted about 3 days after I checked out.

If there's every a question/you're tight on credit or heck, just want to know up front, call the hotel in advance & ask the front desk their policy. I did that in Feb when I was in London so I'd know how much I had to spend on shopping/wouldn't get caught short.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:20 am

Thanks everyone - very useful!

I think it caught me a bit by surprise (especially since she originally quoted me "£109 - £49 room rate + £60 pre-authorisation" which was clearly wrong, since I had already pre-paid the room with Expedia).

The tying up of my credit limit wasn't a problem at all, but I could see the possibility of it being a problem (i.e. on a much longer trip, when there are a lot of other expenses around that time too....). That is a very good point Sharon and I will bear it in mind for future, longer stays...

Thanks for all of your experiences and advice - I will be fore-warned for the future

Best Wishes,
Boo
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I thought this was a well known fact....

It's a normal practice in US and it's pretty much normal in Europe, South America.

The weird one (at least for me) was during my recent stays at the Hiltons in Tokyo and Osaka. They both put a hold for $1.

I guess they still trust people in some parts of the world....or possibly their credit laws are different and the CC would have to pay regardless if I skip on the bill or not.

Full service hotels allow you to sign for food/drinks/services, so why would it be a surprise that they want to protect themselves in the event you decided to disappear in the middle of the night???
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:23 pm

The standard authorization for U.S. Hiltons is (usually) about $50 USD per day to cover potential incidental charges, though that might vary by region. The time it takes for these "credit holds" to disappear depends not on the hotels but on the credit card companies. Not surprisingly, authorization holds (debits) are instantaneous. But the timing of authorization releases (credits) depend on the issuing bank for the particular card that one presents. While domestic (same country as cardholder bank) releases might automatically occur within a few days of checkout (adjusted to actual expenditures), international releases can take much longer. I guess banks are just trying to protect themselves. In any event, knowing this is a standard practice, the prudent traveler might suggest to the front desk clerk to place a specific authorization hold on their card (based on anticipated spending) and thereby budget their credit more wisely, especially for longer trips. The front desk clerk would probably be sufficiently impressed that they would follow those instructions implicitly.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
The problem comes with the obsurd amounts that properties try and insist on reserving against your credit. The standard amount in the UK is about £50 per night! Now, for me £50 a stay is probably what I would spend! Certainly not £50 a night! I'd have to live in the Hotel 24/7! And then there are some properties (Hilton Dartford Bridge) that want to reserve £80 a night! Oh come on! They must be joking (and I tell them that).

On top of that there is usually the nonsense of trying to get the hold released (especially if you then settle with a different card or cash). Some properties don't even put a hold on for incidentals.

The lower end properties (of which there are far too many in the UK) tend to be the worse for wanting stupid amounts put on hold. And these are the ones with no mini bars in your room and dreadful menus!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by andrzej
I thought this was a well known fact....

It's a normal practice in US and it's pretty much normal in Europe, South America.

The weird one (at least for me) was during my recent stays at the Hiltons in Tokyo and Osaka. They both put a hold for $1.

I guess they still trust people in some parts of the world....or possibly their credit laws are different and the CC would have to pay regardless if I skip on the bill or not.

Full service hotels allow you to sign for food/drinks/services, so why would it be a surprise that they want to protect themselves in the event you decided to disappear in the middle of the night???
\
They have caught on to the fact that a pre-auth for $1 can be converted to up to $150 (i think). It is the same priciple the "pay at the pump" programs. If you swipe your card at the pump it olny hits you for $1 (and goes away the first midnight of the following business day) but no matter what you will be charged the full amount in 1-5 business days. The retailer can not lose...only you if you have an over the limit charge on your card.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:25 am

Hilton Nottingham - very poor

Hi,

I recently stayed at the Hilton Nottingham and it is the worse Hilton that I have ever stayed in, infact I would go as far as saying that it is the worse hotel that I have ever stayed in

I am disabled, and they originally booked me into the furthest bedroom in the hotel, which included a flight of stairs (no lift). I was given no help with my luggage either. I was then moved to a lower room - that was when the real problems started....

The disabled bay outside was used by non-blue badge holders. The hotel didn't car about this - and just kept on saying can we move your car to the pound....

We had a pigeon nesting outside the window - which prefered to make a noise at night. Its nest was a discarded beer box - not something which I think could have been carried up there by the bird!! The "nest" was shaded by a lovely weed growing out of the side of the building, and the bird could use the discarded cigarette ends to decorate its abode, of which there is a plentiful supply.

The mattress springs were non-existent on one side of the bed - when a member of staff sat on it, he said 'cricky that's bad'.

The wi-fi which was in room info and website say should be available was not .

The toilet did not flush properly and took a good 10 minutes to fill - I was told it was a slow filling system!!!

The windows were very dirty, and had not been cleaned for weeks if not months.

There was a metal loop placed dangerously on the floor by the side of the bed. Anyone could trip over it - and getting out of bed meant having to avoid it - almost impossible at night. It was a good inch or two high and wide.

There was dust underneath the television, paper peeling off the walls, broken tiles in the bathroom, broken lights in the bathroom and bedroom, stains, marks and scratches on the floors and furniture, rusting on the bathroom fittings, chipped and cracked paint on the windows, filthy grouting in the bathroom.

And this was descibed as a "double deluxe" bedroom!

I did complain, but got nowhere - in fact I was so amazed that I took photos of the room.

We were moved for the third time for a 2 night stay, and that room was little better - at least the matress could be slept upon, which was more than could be said for the first room. However that room only had one towel and that was threadbear - the edge was all torn - how anyone could leave that in a bathroom is beyond me.

All the hotel manager could do was say 'the hotel is due for refurbishment soon!'

I was offered 5,000 bonus points on my Hhonors card - but this wouldn't even pay for one night in that hotel (not that I would stay there again)

I honestly feel like publishing the photos - as they would not make good viewing.

I doubt that Hilton would listen - but I feel that a complaint should go somewhere - but not sure where...
Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:26 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by isdoo
Hi,

I recently stayed at the Hilton Nottingham and it is the worse Hilton that I have ever stayed in, infact I would go as far as saying that it is the worse hotel that I have ever stayed in

I am disabled, and they originally booked me into the furthest bedroom in the hotel, which included a flight of stairs (no lift). I was given no help with my luggage either. I was then moved to a lower room - that was when the real problems started....

The disabled bay outside was used by non-blue badge holders. The hotel didn't car about this - and just kept on saying can we move your car to the pound....

We had a pigeon nesting outside the window - which prefered to make a noise at night. Its nest was a discarded beer box - not something which I think could have been carried up there by the bird!! The "nest" was shaded by a lovely weed growing out of the side of the building, and the bird could use the discarded cigarette ends to decorate its abode, of which there is a plentiful supply.

The mattress springs were non-existent on one side of the bed - when a member of staff sat on it, he said 'cricky that's bad'.

The wi-fi which was in room info and website say should be available was not .

The toilet did not flush properly and took a good 10 minutes to fill - I was told it was a slow filling system!!!

The windows were very dirty, and had not been cleaned for weeks if not months.

There was a metal loop placed dangerously on the floor by the side of the bed. Anyone could trip over it - and getting out of bed meant having to avoid it - almost impossible at night. It was a good inch or two high and wide.

There was dust underneath the television, paper peeling off the walls, broken tiles in the bathroom, broken lights in the bathroom and bedroom, stains, marks and scratches on the floors and furniture, rusting on the bathroom fittings, chipped and cracked paint on the windows, filthy grouting in the bathroom.

And this was descibed as a "double deluxe" bedroom!

I did complain, but got nowhere - in fact I was so amazed that I took photos of the room.

We were moved for the third time for a 2 night stay, and that room was little better - at least the matress could be slept upon, which was more than could be said for the first room. However that room only had one towel and that was threadbear - the edge was all torn - how anyone could leave that in a bathroom is beyond me.

All the hotel manager could do was say 'the hotel is due for refurbishment soon!'

I was offered 5,000 bonus points on my Hhonors card - but this wouldn't even pay for one night in that hotel (not that I would stay there again)

I honestly feel like publishing the photos - as they would not make good viewing.

I doubt that Hilton would listen - but I feel that a complaint should go somewhere - but not sure where...
Do you post on Tripadvisor.com? That is a pretty good venue for airing complaints. I'm sure Hilton corporate has lurkers on that site as well. It is a shame that crappy hotels like the one you describe are allowed to hold the Hilton brand name. In theory, all should meet a certain standard or lose the franchise.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: All of them
I stayed at the same hotel in June this year and it was poor yet acceptable. My room was neither uncomfortable nor dirty, however it was ugly and needed to be refurbished. I think rates were around 79 GBP per night which wasn't too bad considering the location.

For someone who wants to stay somwhere cosy and doesn't need HH points, I would advocate staying somewhere else.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Here is a page on Hilton that you can send in a complaint
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/feedback...X2VCQKIYFCXUUC

You can also send it to [email protected]

This is a special e-mail address that Hilton set up for Flyertalk users.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.