FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle-Downtown {US-WA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/130665-hampton-inn-suites-seattle-downtown-us-wa.html)

kmt Feb 11, 2002 10:31 pm

Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle-Downtown {US-WA}

Should I use 50K HH points for two nights in Seattle at the Hampton Inn downtown (Seattle center)?
I booked 3 nights in Vancouver prior to 7/16 (3 star hotel) through priceline for $45 a night and 3 nights post 7/18 in San Francisco (3 and 1/2 star hotel) for $62 a night. I need to figure out if I should take a chance w/priceline, pay(Hampton Inn or similar), or use the HH points (considering their average value, maybe to be used at another time/place), for the above dates in downtown Seattle. Please advise if you can on any or all of the above issues (taking so many mind-numbing possibilites into consideration). Any comments on the property? I don't mind using the points (best available rate so far is around $140 for HI SEA downtown) to save around $300 if its worth it.

J0HN Feb 11, 2002 10:48 pm

Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for Priceline bidding strategies and hotels that come up in Seattle. I personally would not spend 50K for two nights if you have VIP status (you listed it as a $300 value), when you can spend 100K points for six nights in Hawaii or 150K points for six nights in europe.

mymiles2go Feb 11, 2002 11:37 pm

In a word: NO! Don't even think of spending those on the Seattle Hampton Inn. And, not even the Hilton. I was at the Hilton earlier (yes, I'm from Seattle, but had a really late arrival, and work is only 4 blocks away, so it was easier for me to sleep there, then drive north to little ol' Mukilteo)..Anyways...Don't use your points that way.

Dudemon Feb 12, 2002 12:02 am

Knowing the city as I do there is no way i'd drop the 50k points for either property. It looks like you'd be staying Wednesday - Thursday, big business so you won't find any of the "weekend" specials, I'd keep checking the sources ou have been.

ordman Feb 13, 2002 9:02 am

FWIW, I just got back from 3 days at the downtown Hampton inn. They upgraded me to a suite with a fireplace and bathtub whirlpool. The property seems to be pretty new and the breakfast was a good spread. I've heard that the SEA downtown hilton is a dump, and I was happy with the hampton inn at 80/night. I don't think its worth 50K points though... You should have not problem getting upgraded.

KathyWdrf Feb 13, 2002 3:00 pm

If possible, stay at the Homewood Suites -- just north of downtown and west of Seattle Center (Space Needle). Very nice property, probably nicer than the Seattle Hampton Inn (which I have not stayed in).

Kathy

kokonutz Feb 13, 2002 5:57 pm

I've stayed at every Hhonors property in the downtown Seattle area. The best by far is Homewood Suites, and thats where I try to stay whether on business or award stays...

For that matter, I've grown to enjoy the relative consistency of the Homewood Suites properties when there is not a decent Hilton or Embassy around...

kmt Feb 14, 2002 12:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Now, I am thinking about using the 50K HH points for Homewood Suites, however it seems as if they charge for parking and Hampton does not. In that case I need to decide if it is worth the extra out of pocket money to pay for parking to stay at Homewood Suites. Does anyone know the cost of parking?
kmt

Eastbay1K Sep 15, 2003 2:11 pm

Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle-Downtown {US-WA}

The downtown Hampton (just past Seattle Center) - well, its a lot of money for what it is, and although 1/2 the property is "suites" being a diamond doesn't get you on that side (not that we expect one). In any case, the room had a very noisy ceiling (loose floor boards, and so on, making sleep difficult) and no hot water for the morning shower. Also, I don't know what the "Hampton Touch" for diamonds is, but I didn't get one (unless that ceiling noise all night long was it...)

When I checked out, I told them of the problems (I didn't even inquire as to the "Hampton Touch), and without having asked for anything, she gave me a little form to fill out for the Hampton satisfaction guarantee and told me she was not charging me for the stay.

So while I can't really recommend the place and am in no rush to go back, at least they take care of problems, immediately, without issue.

MisterNice Sep 15, 2003 3:23 pm

Glad you got a nice goodie. Sorry to say but almost all the Seattle area HH properities are really lame (and I have been in all). I switched to the Wyndham SeaTac (see my review) and it is what many USA Hiltons are and the Seattle ones should be. FWIW other than Seattle I think HH has a lot going for it.

MisterNice

homer37 Sep 17, 2003 4:43 pm

I had decent stays at that Hampton - I was upgraded to suites each time, and usually got the water & cookies. However, this was a few months ago (late fall 2002/early winter 2003).

MrPaul0722 Sep 17, 2003 7:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice:
Glad you got a nice goodie. Sorry to say but almost all the Seattle area HH properities are really lame (and I have been in all). I switched to the Wyndham SeaTac (see my review) and it is what many USA Hiltons are and the Seattle ones should be. FWIW other than Seattle I think HH has a lot going for it.

I agree with you about "almost all" Hilton properties in SEA are lame. I dislike the downtown Hilton and will not stay there. But, I was just at the Homewood Suites in lower Queen Anne (end of Belltown) and pleasantly surprised at the service and the way they recognize HH elite members. This is a nice property. I was given suite 518 which had a great view of the water. Although it was next to Western Avenue, the traffic noise was not noticeable.

MisterNice
</font>

Craig6z Sep 17, 2003 8:37 pm

MrPaul,

I had a totally opposite experience at the Lower Queen Anne Homewood last week. I quote a posting I made the other day:

"As an aside, regarding Seattle. If the Hilton is not available, the Homewood Suites west of the Space Needle is very mediocre. Stayed there last week and was very unimpressed.

Check-in conversation:

ME: "What do you do for Diamonds"
CLERK: "We give you a morning newspaper" [he turns to the other clerk to verify, and the other person nods her head yes]

Next morning, every room on the floor had a paper delivered, of course."

I also head a decent room location, #614. Hotel was sold out when I booked, and had to get the Diamond Desk to open up a room. Consequently the price was a bit high ($169).

Room was very plainly decorated, and the HVAC control had a mind of their own. Also the pillows were like rocks, but that might be appealing to some people, I reckon.

Maybe my irritation over the property was there was a 75 cent bag of peanut butter cookies left for mr, when I arrived. And, I hate peanut butter. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 09-17-2003).]

murrayhill Aug 9, 2004 10:30 pm

No air conditioning at HI Seattle? Yes, sir!

Checked into the HI Seattle Downtown (a misnomer, as other posters have pointed out) to clinch Diamond. Was given a suite. Not so sweet, as it turned out. While using the free high-speed Internet in the living room, it got stuffy and went over to the thermostat. Didn't work, so I called the desk for help, whereupon I was informed there was no air conditioning in the living room. "They didn't design the rooms with them," was the rueful reply.
Huh?
In its stead was a fan secreted in the closet. Just what I need, hot air blowing on me on a day when it approached 90 degrees in Seattle. They offered to move me to a standard room with air conditioning throughout, but I had already settled in and largely confined myself to the bedroom. Never heard anything so absurd, especially at $125 a night.
Barely made up for it with Hampton Touch, two waters, Oreos, Chips Ahoy and Andes Mints.
As if they were saying "Welcome to Diamond, Sucker!"

srk123 Aug 9, 2004 11:17 pm

This one's easy. Call them on their satisfaction guarantee. Free room.