Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Executive Lounge for Golds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye bye Executive Lounge for Golds?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Based on QBK's response, yes I do agree that quite often in Europe and Asia, they do try their best to upgrade Gold's to the Executive Floor if available. However, I am a bit afraid that now with these new wordings, especially in Asia (and Japan/Korea in particular) where things go by the book, they can say that they have upgraded you to a better room and you can't argue anymore based on the rules as formally it was always a room or Executive Floor room. Now that they have more room to navigate, this makes it more difficult.

Cheers!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
I already picture myself at the HHonors desks down in the lobby, saying, after having survived the queue: "OK, my account shows that you've upgraded me to a Garden View room, which means you don't upgrade Golds to the Executive Floor. So - how much money do you want from me now, when I'm asking to get Lounge Access nevertheless?"

What do you think? Will there be a reasonable discount on the upgrade at least? Has anyone ever tried this?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DannyDarko
I already picture myself at the HHonors desks down in the lobby, saying, after having survived the queue: "OK, my account shows that you've upgraded me to a Garden View room, which means you don't upgrade Golds to the Executive Floor. So - how much money do you want from me now, when I'm asking to get Lounge Access nevertheless?"

What do you think? Will there be a reasonable discount on the upgrade at least? Has anyone ever tried this?
Why don't you try that and let us know if it worked out...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hugolover
Hotel's can now offer a very cr*ppy upgrade to the room scam "Guest Room Plus" whereas before they HAD TO offer an Executive Room if one was available.
Except that, 90% of the time, executive floor rooms are identical to standard rooms, with the possible addition of bathrobes and other similar amenities (bottled water, mouthwash, etc.) that should probably be included as standard at so-called "full service" hotels.

As a Diamond member, I couldn't care less when I'm not on an executive floor so long as I have access to the lounge. The difference in room quality is negligible.

I agree that this change will amount to a devaluation should hotels deny otherwise available executive rooms to Gold members That remains to be seen. Then again, it would help better differentiate the Gold and Diamond tiers. While I would prefer a Diamond enhancement over a Gold devaluation, I'll accept the latter if it means less crowded lounges.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:26 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by DannyDarko

I think I'd start with something like "Do you have any Executive Floor rooms available? I always really appreciate it when I get a complimentary Gold upgrade!" Then they say "Oh, we've upgraded you to a Garden View room," and you say, "Oh, thank you -- but I really prefer the Executive Floor. Do you have any rooms there available?"

In my limited experience, this can work wonderfully (e.g., DT San Diego last weekend, checkin followed this script except "Garden View"==>"top floor room with balcony", and "Executive Floor"==>"2-room suite". There's often a huge gap between (a) Hilton corporate policy, (b) local hotel policy, and (c) what the particular desk agent feels like doing. Even if hotel policy is a meaningless "upgrade", the desk agent has vast powers.

If at that point the desk agent insists that there's a charge... well, like buaya00 said, let us know...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
The problem isn't as big as the OP suggests. This is because of the mentality of the US v. EUR.
Originally Posted by serfty
Definitely leaves it more open for hotel to deny Golds upgrades to Executive level rooms (and hence, access).

As per this post:
These are great posts. I too foresee how this will be used against golds at properties where they won't let VIP's access lounges easily. Heck, before these rules were clarified I often was denied lounge access as a diamond since I didn't have an EL room. With this for Golds, it only gets worse.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:24 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by mnredfox
These are great posts. I too foresee how this will be used against golds at properties where they won't let VIP's access lounges easily. Heck, before these rules were clarified I often was denied lounge access as a diamond since I didn't have an EL room. With this for Golds, it only gets worse.
This will be interesting... I have two reservations coming up for Munich Park in February, actually both for two rooms (the kids are already pretty big..). At least now the reservation indicates that in both occasions both rooms would be upgraded to Executive (from basic King Guest Room).
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by SPBanker
This will be interesting... I have two reservations coming up for Munich Park in February, actually both for two rooms (the kids are already pretty big..). At least now the reservation indicates that in both occasions both rooms would be upgraded to Executive (from basic King Guest Room).
Let me add that last week I spent three nights at Moscow Leningradskaya, was upgraded from Executive to Junior Suite and received a bowl of fruits plus a bottle of wine.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:18 am

@spbanker

as i wrote before, i'm so surprised that you guys already see the rooms you're going to get, when checking in in a few weeks or months!

did you write to them and request an upgrade or is it just indicated on your reservations page in your account?

thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MS02113
Except that, 90% of the time, executive floor rooms are identical to standard rooms, with the possible addition of bathrobes and other similar amenities (bottled water, mouthwash, etc.) that should probably be included as standard at so-called "full service" hotels.

As a Diamond member, I couldn't care less when I'm not on an executive floor so long as I have access to the lounge. The difference in room quality is negligible.

I agree that this change will amount to a devaluation should hotels deny otherwise available executive rooms to Gold members That remains to be seen. Then again, it would help better differentiate the Gold and Diamond tiers. While I would prefer a Diamond enhancement over a Gold devaluation, I'll accept the latter if it means less crowded lounges.
I partially agree with your comments and I understand you are coming from a US perspective.

I think this is part of the problem. Apart from the new HHonors VISA in the UK it has never been as easy to get Gold/Diamond in Europe without any hotel activity. But Gold's in Europe are probably trying much harder to maintain their status by staying in Hilton hotels which are normally more expensive than in the US and there are fewer of them. We don't have as many of the cheaper brands here whereas in the US. Is there no difference between a Hampton/HGI Diamond and a Hilton Diamond? Or a W-A Diamond? I think there is.

I think I am right in saying there is still no way to get Diamond other than staying many times at a hotel in Europe. (Ignoring the BA Gold GGL and others mail-out, affecting a small number).

Hilton International and HHC were two separate companies until a few years ago, one owned by a betting group and the other the US hotel company, the were joined in name only. Now even though they have been re-united he two still operate vastly different business models and expectations of guests are vastly different.

On the very rare occassions I have stayed with Hilton in the US my expectations are VERY different, lounges are often crowded and sparsely filled with amenities (just like airport lounges). In Europe it's not as bad and the hotels, in general, are often better.

By the way, in many of the newer builds the Executive Floor DOES offer significantly bigger rooms and amenities, such as separate shower, Jacuzzi bath etc. As more and more hotels are built this can/should only get more prevalent.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by summer01
@spbanker

as i wrote before, i'm so surprised that you guys already see the rooms you're going to get, when checking in in a few weeks or months!

did you write to them and request an upgrade or is it just indicated on your reservations page in your account?

thanks!
I didn't request anything (yet), but I am seeing a NOR type of thing at the bottom of reservation page indicating upgrade to Executive with price of €0. Obviously, if they sell all the Executive rooms between now and then, I won't get the upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I partially agree with your comments and I understand you are coming from a US perspective.

I think this is part of the problem. Apart from the new HHonors VISA in the UK it has never been as easy to get Gold/Diamond in Europe without any hotel activity. But Gold's in Europe are probably trying much harder to maintain their status by staying in Hilton hotels which are normally more expensive than in the US and there are fewer of them. We don't have as many of the cheaper brands here whereas in the US. Is there no difference between a Hampton/HGI Diamond and a Hilton Diamond? Or a W-A Diamond? I think there is.

I think I am right in saying there is still no way to get Diamond other than staying many times at a hotel in Europe. (Ignoring the BA Gold GGL and others mail-out, affecting a small number).

Hilton International and HHC were two separate companies until a few years ago, one owned by a betting group and the other the US hotel company, the were joined in name only. Now even though they have been re-united he two still operate vastly different business models and expectations of guests are vastly different.

On the very rare occassions I have stayed with Hilton in the US my expectations are VERY different, lounges are often crowded and sparsely filled with amenities (just like airport lounges). In Europe it's not as bad and the hotels, in general, are often better.

By the way, in many of the newer builds the Executive Floor DOES offer significantly bigger rooms and amenities, such as separate shower, Jacuzzi bath etc. As more and more hotels are built this can/should only get more prevalent.
I completely agree that international properties (and, by extension, executive lounges) tend to offer elite members better amenities than U.S. properties. With all of the ridiculous promotions and credit card offers, U.S.-based Hilton elites are a dime a dozen, so there's little incentive for domestic properties to pamper them.

That said, there are three ways to attain elite status: nights, stays, and spend. I could maintain Diamond status through any of the three. If, as you say, European full-service properties command higher rates than American Hamptons and HGIs, our Continental counterparts should be able to attain status on the basis of spend.

Even discounting credit card and status-match offers, I believe HHonors Diamond status is too easy to attain in the U.S.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MS02113
I completely agree that international properties (and, by extension, executive lounges) tend to offer elite members better amenities than U.S. properties. With all of the ridiculous promotions and credit card offers, U.S.-based Hilton elites are a dime a dozen, so there's little incentive for domestic properties to pamper them.

That said, there are three ways to attain elite status: nights, stays, and spend. I could maintain Diamond status through any of the three. If, as you say, European full-service properties command higher rates than American Hamptons and HGIs, our Continental counterparts should be able to attain status on the basis of spend.

Even discounting credit card and status-match offers, I believe HHonors Diamond status is too easy to attain in the U.S.
With exception of Europe, I've found Europe Hilton's to be stingy at best.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We don't have as many of the cheaper brands here whereas in the US. Is there no difference between a Hampton/HGI Diamond and a Hilton Diamond? Or a W-A Diamond? I think there is.

[...]

It takes time to adjust business models.

One thing to keep in mind is that brands like Hampton didn't get created within Hilton. It was an existing brand that Hilton acquired a dozen or so years ago. (I remember staying once in a Hampton in the 80s, before it belonged to Hilton.)

Without doing it the same way (by buying an existing chain or chains in Europe that are at a lower scale, in the Ibis space or whatever), it's going to take quite a while to build "plenty" of Hamptons and HGIs across Europe.

The merged-worldwide Hilton does seem to be open to acquisitions, as the Mint purchase shows. But in this case it was not to create a new brand, or even to rebrand to one existing brand (that's in low supply in Europe), but to convert to various existing brands. Anyhow, that was in the UK only, right?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
With exception of Europe, I've found Europe Hilton's to be stingy at best.
Can you please clarify your statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.