Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
booking another 1 night..($129 kaamaina rate)...

I must say I think i got a better room the last time in march...i was on the top floor..and i believe it was a more updated mountain view room..

lets hope I get something better this time...

I didn't catch the breakfast..but i was there for the afternoon snacks in the lounge..nothing special but it is free food I guess...would be so much better if it was free alcohol
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another advantage here is that the valet parking exit allows you to very easily avoid the central Waikiki/Kalakaua Avenue gridlock.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
A great stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach after an abortive first night at the Doubletree.

My Doubletree rate was $151, and for that I got horrible A/C, a tiny, tired room, and no views worth speaking of.

My Hilton Waikiki Beach rate was $152, and for that I got a corner king room with a wraparound balcony, a bathroom twice the size of the DT's, a much more updated look, a much larger TV, much better views (even city/mountain are nice), a much better lobby, a much better central location, and much friendlier staff.

The best value for $1 extra a night I've ever experienced in my travels.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another nice stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach. With an arrival after 9 PM, there was only one room left available, but it was 36th floor, a king mountain/city view.

The property remains clean, though I'd say some carpets and fabrics are wearing and it's probably time to think about renovation.

Exec lounge breakfast was adequate except for Thanksgiving morning, when I'm guessing one or more staff called off - it was overwhelmed on that day but very nice other days.

This property remains a no-resort-fee property, which will keep it Number One in my book until and unless they submit to the crack cocaine.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Another nice stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach. With an arrival after 9 PM, there was only one room left available, but it was 36th floor, a king mountain/city view.

The property remains clean, though I'd say some carpets and fabrics are wearing and it's probably time to think about renovation.

Exec lounge breakfast was adequate except for Thanksgiving morning, when I'm guessing one or more staff called off - it was overwhelmed on that day but very nice other days.

This property remains a no-resort-fee property, which will keep it Number One in my book until and unless they submit to the crack cocaine.

Thanks for the info DenverBrian. Based on your reviews and some others I have read elsewhere I just cancelled by Doubletree reservation and changed to the Hilton Waikiki Beach. Especially your review of the bathroom where you say there is no place to set anything down.

Heading there this coming Monday for about 3-4 weeks for work and taking my wife along. Was $17 more than the double tree but no resort fee so actually $1 less. Valet only parking same rate at both, $35 a day.

You mention the Executive Lounge breakfast was adequate but don't say what it actually was. Is it just continental breakfast type stuff or is there anything hot? How were the evening pupu's n the lounge?

As I will be there so long don't really expect any kind of an upgrade, even as a Lifetime Diamond, so booked a King executive room mountain view. Minimum I will accept with my wife coming with me.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
[...] Hilton Waikiki Beach [...] Was $17 more than the double tree but no resort fee so actually $1 less.
Hadn't realized that DoubleTree now charges a resort fee. Shameful, since the property is in no way, shape, or form a resort. If I recall correctly, they proudly advertised the lack of such fees in the past, but alas the promise of extra revenue won in the end.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MS02113
Hadn't realized that DoubleTree now charges a resort fee. Shameful, since the property is in no way, shape, or form a resort. If I recall correctly, they proudly advertised the lack of such fees in the past, but alas the promise of extra revenue won in the end.
$18/day resort fee at the DoubleTree, apparently. Redonkulous. The Hilton Waikiki continues to stay strong with no resort fee, though because resort fees are the crack cocaine of the hotel industry, there's no telling when they'll take their first hit from the supplier.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Thinking about a quick pop down to HNL, and haven't stayed at this since it was the Price Kuhio moniker, basement meh exec lounge, and such.

I recall it being a very nice room, albeit a bit small, the pool somewhat useless/cold//tiny, but a pleasant stay overall with nice views...

hat does breakfast and EL benefits look like for Diamond guests these days?
Hawkeyefan likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Thinking about a quick pop down to HNL, and haven't stayed at this since it was the Price Kuhio moniker, basement meh exec lounge, and such.

I recall it being a very nice room, albeit a bit small, the pool somewhat useless/cold//tiny, but a pleasant stay overall with nice views...

hat does breakfast and EL benefits look like for Diamond guests these days?
They're fine, not exceptional. Solid property if you're not a needy spoiled brat.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
They're fine, not exceptional. Solid property if you're not a needy spoiled brat.
Uh the shortest flight from mainland USA has to be around 5 hours and from where I am at near ORD, it can push 10 going west......I am sorry but wanting something nicer than this property if I am flying that long does not make me a "needy spoiled brat".
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Uh the shortest flight from mainland USA has to be around 5 hours and from where I am at near ORD, it can push 10 going west......I am sorry but wanting something nicer than this property if I am flying that long does not make me a "needy spoiled brat".

I guess I'm also a bit of a spoiled brat if that means I like cooked-to-order eggs instead of an undercooked steam plate full of runny scrambled.

Now, where's the helipad and parking for my giraffe? I'M A DIAMOND MEMBER.

TDM

PS: I stand by the Embassy Suites being my fave property down there. I've stayed at all of the Hilton Waikiki (and most of the other-island Hawaii HH hotels for that matter) and it's nice enough, but I value the drinks reception, quiet but useful / unshaded pool, good brekkie, and large rooms at ES best. I'm in the mood to give the Hilton ex-Kuhio a new try though. I was hoping to hear they might have a breakfast credit option for the MAC 247 restaurant instead of lounge breakfast.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I was hoping to hear they might have a breakfast credit option for the MAC 247 restaurant instead of lounge breakfast.
That would be great, no bloody likely! They have given me extra drink coupons in the past when had to wait for my room.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Stay: 04/27/18-04/29/18 (Friday-Sunday) (points - 100K to be exact for 2 nights)

Forgot to ask about breakfast credit at MAC 247. Had I been by myself, would have tried to test that.

Property frontage photos - this hotel is on the southern end of Waikiki basically 3 blocks from the beach, 3-4 blocks from the Honolulu Zoo/Kapiolani Park. If you want to be closer to the heart of Waikiki, just about all of the other HH properties will be a better option. Personally, I thought that this hotel's location was good and being away from the center of Waikiki kept things a bit more mellow.

Room 719 - front desk agent worked for about 5 minutes to try to find a room with two beds that had a view toward the beach but ended up handing me keys to a double bedded room but on a corner facing back.

As this was a quick trip for my daughter to make a decision on whether she wanted to accept UH Manoa's admission offer, we needed the separate beds. Room includes mini fridge under the TV console - front desk told us to disregard the $3 tags on the water bottles per diamond status and that they would be replenished daily. Immediately to the right in the topmost door also under the TV was the room safe - forgot to take a picture.

Bathroom has two cracked glass panes plus a framed frosted glass door - at least the two glass panes have drop down blinds. Not a big fan of this impact on not only privacy but also how much light goes through the room at night. Bathroom is / was shower only.

View from darkened room toward the bathroom with the bathroom blinds drawn:

Shots of/from room's balcony. I have several from our day of arrival as well as Saturday morning that are completely washed out due to the cloud cover. Sunday morning offered some sun and definitely better viewing. Next shot shows the balcony and its furniture as well as the overcast effect. The rest are from Sunday.

View down below toward garden/koi pond.

Also, if you decided to look around the end of the corner wrap balcony, you'd see the back/north face of the Marriott Waikiki (and still no ocean view):

Shots of the back of the room door as well as info included with the room keys and a welcome note with a $5 coupon for the gift shop:

Executive Lounge (Lili'uokalani Lounge): For myself and daughter, it worked well for us. The Lounge is located on lower level just below MAC 247 and the Gift Shop and is open every day of the week (closed during the overnight hours).

We were able to get to the hotel for the appetizers on Friday evening - the hot dishes were pasta and chicken wings as well as crudités and a cheese and grapes platter. Snack items were opposite the hot dishes. Having drink dispensers as well as pre-brewed coffee as well as a Nescafe Milano machine makes it feasible for them to provide the Lounge without having to extensively work at drink restocking (and if you were desperate for a drink or soda in a can or bottle, you could go across the street to the nearest ABC store as well as back up to the 1st floor to the Gift Shop). Also, with the number of lounge attendants around, you can order adult beverages.

We then went out and explored around Waikiki, picked up some dinner from the outdoor vendors at the King's Village Shopping Center and made our way back to the Hilton and the Executive Lounge and ate there. At this point (around 9 PM), the Lounge was empty and provided an opportunity to show how many tables there are available in the main area. There are additional tables back at the entrance to the Lounge where the PCs/boarding pass printer is located as well as another room immediately opposite that location.

During breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, three hot dishes were available - scrambled eggs, potatoes and sausage - plus sliced fruit as well as oatmeal. Back in the dining area is where the breakfast pastries and toasters and juice dispenser was located.

Pool and views from the 37th floor: Just a note that you'll need your room key to use the primary elevators. Pool is atop the parking structure.

David
Old May 10, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Awesome pics David! I forgot to post mine after I stayed here in January for 4 nights but yours are much better!

1) Location is not bad. Off the beach but away from insane traffic. Valet exits onto side street that leads you away from busy roads.
2) Fast elevators!
3) Mac 24/7 is among the best room service I have had in my travels. Full menu all day so if you feel like a chicken fried steak and eggs at 10pm they have you covered. Braised beef was delicious too!
4) Coffee bar right outside elevator bay to grab beverages/snacks to go quickly.
5) NO resort fees (hopefully never) which is good because this is definitely a hotel and not a resort!

A few negatives:
1) Screen doors keep the big bugs out but small ones get past it. If you have door open when sun starts to set make sure all lights are off inside or close the door.
2) Windows in the bathroom need better blinds. Going in overnight and turning the light on does a pretty decent job of shining light right at anyone still sleeping in bed.
3) Being off the beach a few blocks means many buildings in the way of much of the ocean view and sunsets. Still plenty of ocean to watch boats/ships from a long way off (tiny) so may not be worth paying much extra for the view.

Last edited by Hippster; May 11, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Old May 10, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

PS: I stand by the Embassy Suites being my fave property down there. I've stayed at all of the Hilton Waikiki (and most of the other-island Hawaii HH hotels for that matter) and it's nice enough, but I value the drinks reception, quiet but useful / unshaded pool, good brekkie, and large rooms at ES best. I'm in the mood to give the Hilton ex-Kuhio a new try though. I was hoping to hear they might have a breakfast credit option for the MAC 247 restaurant instead of lounge breakfast.
Definitely agree about the Embassy being my favorite. Great breakfast, great happy hour (mai tais galore, though the snacks are typical chips and salsa basically). Nice rooms. Unfortunately, finding a decent rate there is nearly impossible. And I was quite ticked the last time there when I had to extend a stay and they had rooms available but wouldn't allow me to extend at the same rate.

Regardless, the Hilton, so long as it stays w/o the resort fees (since it's a hotel, not a resort) will probably be my go to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.