Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:35 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by sk3
This hotel has proven to be unbookable for award rooms via the website - regardless that standard rooms are plentiful for identical dates.

I've drawn this conclusion based on trying to book countless random reservations from now up to 300 days out.

Has anyone else come across this? If so, were you able to book on the phone?

(I'm asking here first, as opposed to calling HH right off - because, frankly, I hate calling HH).
I had a similar issue with an HH property in Australia. When I called they said Hilton is 're-evaluating' the property's value and therefore at this time cannot accept reward bookings. Once evaluated, they will know how many points per night to charge.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta 1M, SM Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Notenut
There has been a discussion about the lack of beach views from the Embassy Suites, which prompts my post on this thread with the same question:
How are the views from this hotel (re; the beach and/or Diamondhead) and from which rooms?
I have stayed at this property 3 times in the past year and a half.

Each time I've been on the oceanside on a high floor. While it is true you are a block back from the beach, you certainly have fantastic expansive views of the ocean.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:22 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by sk3
This hotel has proven to be unbookable for award rooms via the website - regardless that standard rooms are plentiful for identical dates.

I've drawn this conclusion based on trying to book countless random reservations from now up to 300 days out.

Has anyone else come across this? If so, were you able to book on the phone?

(I'm asking here first, as opposed to calling HH right off - because, frankly, I hate calling HH).
the embassy suites is much better. trust me on this one.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I stayed at the Hilton Kuhio twice last year and was happy both times. Lovely view of the ocean and walking distance to various restaurants, bars, beach, etc.

As others have commented, the lounge leaves allot to be desired. I personally would only go there to get a coffee or oj but then eat somewhere else. Shame they cannot provide more appetizing fare at the lounge. Pretty much a waste of time. Then again, most Hilton lounges are not very good. One exception being the Hilton Sao Paulo lounge......excellent.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:01 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Following up on my post above: on March 5th I emailed HH with the following:
"I'm unable to book an award reservation for this hotel. I've been trying random dates, for instance: checking in Nov 15 and out on Nov 23. Your site shows these dates availble for reward bookings when viewing the Availability Calendar, but when I click on Continue it brings me to a screen stating there are no rooms available that meet your criteria. (I have selected "No Preference" for bed type). So there appears to be something wrong with the way this hotel was programmed into your site. Thanks for your help."
And I've just received this reply:
"Dear sk3,

Thank you for your message to Hilton Reservations and Customer Care. It is my pleasure to assist you today with a reward reservation.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced on our website. I encountered the same error message as described in your message. Please be assured that I have forwarded the issue to our website department for resolution. In the meantime, you may contact our Service Center for immediate assistance with securing your reservation at 800-446-6677. You may also respond to this message with the information below and I will be glad to confirm a reward reservation using the credit card that we have on file for you.

~Number of adults
~Room preference

I appreciate this opportunity to assist you and thank you for your continued loyalty! If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know."
Old May 17, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Prince Kuhio name change to Hilton Waikiki Beach

I just stumbled across the information that the former Prince Kuhio Hilton is now called the Hilton Waikiki Beach. That's too bad because it's one long block from the beach. Nice place, though.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RichG
I just stumbled across the information that the former Prince Kuhio Hilton is now called the Hilton Waikiki Beach. That's too bad because it's one long block from the beach. Nice place, though.
Agreed on both counts! ^ Another example of the importance of reading the fine print (or FT): From the website, featuring a photo of a couple on their balcony staring down at that beach:

Imagine sitting on your private lanai and watching the sun setting over Waikiki Beach as you enjoy sweet ocean breezes - With Leahi (Diamond Head) as a backdrop and just one block from the sea, the Hilton Waikiki Beach hotel offers the true service and comfort visitors expect on their Hawaiian getaway.

Old May 20, 2011, 1:10 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Update: You can now finally book award reservations online. ^

And as noted in another recent thread this property has had a name change [mods can you please revise this thread's title to reflect it].

New Name:
Hilton Waikiki Beach

An FYI: I just made an award reservation (I'm now a mere Silver ) and was offered 3 Nor1s:

Mountain View for $5.00
Ocean View for $20
Executive Mountain View $25

Anyone stay there recently? Any new comments about the lounge?

Edited to add:

I just rebooked the award res for another date and was offered the above 3 Nor1s plus:

Executive Ocean View for $30

Last edited by sk3; May 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm Reason: added more Nor1 info
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Has anyone stayed at this property since it is converted to Hilton? I am trying to decide between Hilton Waikiki Beach ($191 + tax), Marriott Waikiki ($199 + tax) and HHV Rainbow ($249 + tax) all are oceanview rooms. What is the chance of my getting upgraded to Executive level, and how is the free breakfast options for Hilton Waikiki?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edison
Has anyone stayed at this property since it is converted to Hilton? I am trying to decide between Hilton Waikiki Beach ($191 + tax), Marriott Waikiki ($199 + tax) and HHV Rainbow ($249 + tax) all are oceanview rooms. What is the chance of my getting upgraded to Executive level, and how is the free breakfast options for Hilton Waikiki?
I stayed here about a month ago, was actually pretty pleasantly surprised with the property. The breakfast options are ok, and evening apps are ok as well. Lounge is actually located in the basement or ground floor, and if you're a diamond should automatically get upgraded. I was upgraded despite having points selected in my way.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Hi mnredfox, did you get upgraded to Executive Level? Also what was the free breakfast like? Is it continental or does it full breakfast? I am Hilton Gold so looking for upgrade opportunities.

Also did you get the Oceanview? How is it given that the property is like 1-2 blocks from beach? Or I better save the cash and get city view?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:19 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed at this property since it is converted to Hilton? I am trying to decide between Hilton Waikiki Beach ($191 + tax), Marriott Waikiki ($199 + tax) and HHV Rainbow ($249 + tax) all are ocean-view rooms. What is the chance of my getting upgraded to Executive level, and how is the free breakfast options for Hilton Waikiki?
I can't speak for the other properties but in 2005 my wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, Rainbow Tower, 30th Floor, corner room, Ocean side and marina side of the tower. Back then it was 5 nights for 200K points, not sure what it is now ... Based on my experience I highly recommend this location, details below:

Anyway. I was HHDiamond then, as now, and we were checked in by a hotel agent that was walking around baggage claim at the airport. I guess they do that to expedite the check in process for arriving guests. I asked for the Diamond upgrade and was very pleased when we arrived at our room. The corner rooms at the rainbow tower have huge wall to wall, floor to ceiling sliding glass doors on both outside corners of the room that give the most amazing views. The only better rooms in the tower are the ones that face Diamond Head. However, the marina side rooms face west and you can watch the spectacular sunsets from your room.

They have a fireworks show every Friday night (or at least they did in 2005) and after grabbing some Mai Tai's and nachos my wife and I returned to the balcony in our room to watch the show. We were thrilled to discover that being on the 30th floor the fireworks exploded at eye level for us right outside our room.

Breakfast at this, and I'm sure, all location is excellent and of course since you're in Hawaii the pineapple and other tropical fruits served are the freshest you'll ever have. The house coffee (if I remember correctly) is, of course, Kona. It was a full breakfast, not just continental.

Valet parking is just a few dollars more than self park and is worth the expense.

So anyway, try to land yourself a corner room. Good luck and best wishes with whichever location you choose.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I enjoyed a weeklong stay over this past Labor day weekend.

I really liked it, I am HH Gold. I booked as advance purchase, room chosen at check in and I hoped for the best! I was very satisfied with what I was given, no need to beg, shout, bribe or argue, I just asked politely if I could get a high floor and ocean view.

It is a city hotel. No doubt about that, so busy streets, traffic noise, etc. Tripadvisor reviews state that low floors are noisy. I was on high floor; I think 17 and NO NOISE!

Upon checkin was giving high floor, ocean view, Club floor. Nice. Clean, modern, functional. Balcony gives views of diamond head, ocean and city.
I slept each night with the curtains open and enjoyed sunrise.

EL is located in basement, so no windows or views. Basic continental breakfast and hot scrammbled eggs and pancakes, bacon. It was ok, not the best, not the worst. You can always eat at the restaurant a la carte and pay.
In the afternoon they had cash bar and two hot options. Ok also.
Parking is $25 per night.
City view is towards mountain which is also ok, but for sure request an ocean view.

It is two blocks to the beach, no more, no less, two normal city blocks, maybe 10 minutes, plenty of restaurants, shops, convenience stores. Bus stops in front. It is great to taxi around and eat out and do the whole tourist thing.

It is not top of line ultra luxury, but it is a recently renovated, comfortable Hilton, rooms are nice and everything is functional. It is busy though, not packed, but busy.

I found staff to be nice.

if you are looking for a far and away hotel that is quiet and secluded, this is not it. It is city hotel and conveniently located to shops, beach. I have been gold/diamond for 6+ years and I would put this hotel in the top tier of Hiltons I have stayed at. it is not a Conrad or Waldorf, it is a very nice Hilton.

Take a look at tripadvisor, it is rated very high, and I also posted some pictures of the EL.
All of the rooms look the same, I had a room at the club floor and it looks just like every other persons room.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
I can't speak for the other properties but in 2005 my wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, Rainbow Tower, 30th Floor, corner room, Ocean side and marina side of the tower. Back then it was 5 nights for 200K points, not sure what it is now ... Based on my experience I highly recommend this location, details below:

Anyway. I was HHDiamond then, as now, and we were checked in by a hotel agent that was walking around baggage claim at the airport. I guess they do that to expedite the check in process for arriving guests. I asked for the Diamond upgrade and was very pleased when we arrived at our room. The corner rooms at the rainbow tower have huge wall to wall, floor to ceiling sliding glass doors on both outside corners of the room that give the most amazing views. The only better rooms in the tower are the ones that face Diamond Head. However, the marina side rooms face west and you can watch the spectacular sunsets from your room.

They have a fireworks show every Friday night (or at least they did in 2005) and after grabbing some Mai Tai's and nachos my wife and I returned to the balcony in our room to watch the show. We were thrilled to discover that being on the 30th floor the fireworks exploded at eye level for us right outside our room.

Breakfast at this, and I'm sure, all location is excellent and of course since you're in Hawaii the pineapple and other tropical fruits served are the freshest you'll ever have. The house coffee (if I remember correctly) is, of course, Kona. It was a full breakfast, not just continental.
Unfortunately a lot has changed since you stayed at HHV. Upgrades to corner rooms are pretty hard to come by especially on point stays. Breakfast is now at the executive lounge and consists of fruit, a type of loaf and hard boiled eggs - a far cry from the days where you would get a great breakfast at the Rainbow restaurant.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Hi mnredfox, did you get upgraded to Executive Level? Also what was the free breakfast like? Is it continental or does it full breakfast? I am Hilton Gold so looking for upgrade opportunities.

Also did you get the Oceanview? How is it given that the property is like 1-2 blocks from beach? Or I better save the cash and get city view?
They gave me an UG to exec level (which really means nothing than higher floor) but I did get a nice room with Ocean view. Despite the property being not on the beach (I seem to think more like 3-4 blocks), it does offer great views if up high.

Breakfast was actually hot breakfast, not the chinsy cheap cold cereal stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.