Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Originally Posted by courcoison
Good Day.
... You can fax her your requests as a group with your expectations..
Thanks for the advice - in all these years of traveling I've never faxed a hotel manager to request an upgrade (it never even occurred to me) - I'm always learning from FTrs!
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
One thing you might like about the Prince Kuhio is that it is a smaller hotel than the HHV and it is in a less congested area than HHV or ES. It is a couple of blocks away from the Diamond Head end of Waikiki Beach. The public bus lines run in front of the hotel and are very convenient. I know there is a major rental car company (can't remember which one right now) within a block or two on Kuhio Avenue which would be useful if you want to rent a car for a day but not pay high parking fees.

The restaurant downstairs, MAC 24/7, serves the most humongous plates of food I've ever seen. One order of pancakes could probably feed you and your four friends. If you like sushi and Japanese food, Sansei is in the Marriot hotel which is kitty corner from the Prince Kuhio. Love this restaurant!

TF
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I stayed at the Prince Kuhio in October, 2007 (as a paid stay), and again in November, 2008 (as an award stay).

I was very pleased with my stay last year, but less so this year.

In 2007 (as a Gold member) I was upgraded to a great ocean front room. In 2008 (as a Diamond member) I was not upgraded at all. I had no complaint about the room itself; it was always clean and comfortable, although the furthest room on the floor from the elevator.

The "high speed internet" (free to me as a Diamond) was not very high speed at all (either time). My testing software showed it around 256K in both directions. The rooms feature very nice large, flat screen TV's, but very few HD channels. (ALL the local broadcast channels could be distributed throughout the hotel in HD, if the hotel wished to bother.) As a result, most channels display anamorphically (stretched) unless you take the time to change the display settings, each time you turn on the set. FWIW, this is currently the case in most hotels with 16:9 flat screen TVs.

It took over an hour (and three phone calls) for my luggage to get to my room upon check-in.

Valet parking was $25 per day (going rate in Waikiki) and moved location at least twice during my stay. In fairness, car retrieval was fairly quick.

My one room service breakfast cost an absurd $35 with surcharges and tip.

I inquired at check-in about lounge access as a Diamond. I was informed that since my profile preference is for free internet access, I would not be granted lounge access. As far as I can tell, this technically conforms to the rules. However, as noted above, since the lounge is still temporary, after 2 years, what they would have been giving me wouldn't have been much. Just the same, I wasn't inclined to complain or beg. Repeat business, however, often hinges on what is provided that is extra, beyond what is strictly required.

One morning, the noise and vibration from in-hotel renovation nearby was about as pleasant as a dental visit (my apologies to the dentists out there). When I mentioned it to the front desk while waiting for my car, the reply was "well, they're not supposed to start until 9 a.m." I said "they didn't (it was then 10:30 a.m.), but the last hour and a half has been excruciating."

Funny that I was not e-mailed or mailed a survey link after this stay... one of the few times all year.

Next time I think I'd try the HHV or the Marriott.

Last edited by RichG; Dec 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm Reason: Added noise issue
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:45 pm

That description strikes me as a "yikes" !

I looked at the Grand Vacation properties and they're in the $300 range - trying to keep it closer to $200 for the sake of my colleagues for whom this is a stretch. As for Hyatt - I'm not an elite (and I suspect it's in the higher range also).

Someone recommended the Embassy Suites and this is one chain in the Hilton brand I avoid like the plague as a road warrior (of course, this is leisure travel, where sometimes the rules change). The 4-5 times I stayed in an ES (same with Doubltree), it was a beat up old property and the managers "happy hour" was a bowl of chips and salsa full of dirty hands. I usually pick a Hampton Inn over one of those two. They tend to be new and clean, in my experience. But most often in a larger destination city, I choose a Hilton proper, preferring the exec floor, amidst the company of fellow frequent travelers.

But it seems this exec lounge is being remodeled (2 years)?? And even though my "HH choice" is an upgrade (which would include exec lounge access) - it doesn't sound like much at this property.

Has anyone tried any of the boutique hotels (e.g. "Hotel Renew?")

It's hard for me to fly an airline on which I have no status, similarly difficulty to check into a hotel with no status (unless its a boutique or similar). But maybe if this property is truly a dump, I need to keep looking...

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
I've only stayed at this property once and I really enjoyed my stay. I was able to swing a ridiculously low rate though. As a Gold I was upgraded to a high ocean view room and I'm OK with the lounge on the 2nd floor. It was nice to be able to get a soda/snack up until Midnight (I don't know what time it closes now). I'd have no problems returning to this hotel.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:02 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
The Waikiki ES is much nicer than the ones you might have experienced on the road. The breakfast is decent and the happy hour is more than just salsa and chips. It's across the street from the closest beach. It's in the Beachwalk complex with restaurants and shops and across the street from the newly renovated Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. Definitely, a more congested area than the Prince Kuhio. However, it is usually greater than $200 per night, but you get a suite, cooked to order breakfast and happy hour.

TF

Originally Posted by dknyc01
Someone recommended the Embassy Suites and this is one chain in the Hilton brand I avoid like the plague as a road warrior (of course, this is leisure travel, where sometimes the rules change). The 4-5 times I stayed in an ES (same with Doubltree), it was a beat up old property and the managers "happy hour" was a bowl of chips and salsa full of dirty hands. I usually pick a Hampton Inn over one of those two. They tend to be new and clean, in my experience. But most often in a larger destination city, I choose a Hilton proper, preferring the exec floor, amidst the company of fellow frequent travelers.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Stayed at the Princ Kuhio Hilton twice this month. A 5 day stay for a vacaton with the Mrs. and clients, the second as a MR for NW Gold status just for one night.

I did not get executive level floors, but received executive lounge access on both stays. My room was a oceanview upgrade however.

HSIA in room was slow- horribly slow. Better to go to the lobby where it was quite fast.

Staff was very friendly. Parking the customary 25$/day, but staff was very punctual and helpful.

Bus stop in front of hotel. Easy walking to Waikiki.

Drawbacks:
1) Bus transit from HNL to hotel is longer than to other properties since it is futher out.
2) Executive lounge only open during breakfast and evening snacks. Only continental served for Bkfast.
3) You still have a walk to the beach, but not far.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:34 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I just stayed here for the first time last week. I was booked on points at the HHV (40,000/night). A few days before we left, I checked rates in HNL and they were offering rooms for $115/night. I figured I'd save my points for something a little more expensive.

The property was very nice. The rooms were very modern, and contrary to a mini-complaint above, the HD television actually had HD channels (most places with HD TVs just display a crappy analog signal). The bathrooms were HUGE and loved the shower. We received an oceanview upgrade on the 32nd floor, great view of Waikiki and the mountain to the left. The individual lanai was nice, albeit quite small. Walls are paper thin, and my wife and I had quite the 'show' from the room next to ours--hey, it put us in the mood too!

The walk to Waikiki Beach is short and pleasant. The valets are friendly and efficient. There is free HSIA in the business lounge next to the check-in desk, and free printing too.

Now the down side...The executive lounge. As others stated, it's in the basement...Staff was very unfriendly (all of the females) except for the Indian-American gentleman--I forget his name--he was really nice, but only saw him once in 3 days. I left him a tip. The breakfast is VERY basic continental--bagels, muffins and fruit--nothing for those watching carbs like we are. The evening selection was really bad, I thought--one greasy hot appetizer (one night it was egg rolls, the other it was jalapeno poppers), veggies and chips. And the most tacky absolutely cheapest thing I've ever seen at a lounge...A sign above the mini fridge housing the soft drinks: Limit one soft drink per person. That sign alone left a bad taste in my mouth. No free alcohol, just a menu listing bottled beer and wine and the prices for each. (Come to think of it, I don't see much free booze at Hiltons--I'm used to staying at IC/Crowne Plaza executive floors which always offer a nice selection of free drinks and hot food--not quite sure what to expect out of HH properties yet).

Not to 'give away' a secret or anything, but they absolutely DO NOT monitor the lounge. All you do is sign in and head straight for the food. I saw people come in groups of 8 or 10 people, surely not all (or at least half) of the party were gold/diamond. I asked the guy working about that, and he sort of shrugged it off and laughed--his body language told me, "I just do what they tell me, I think it's bad too".

He did say that the 'permanent' lounge is almost done and should open on an upper floor in the 'next few weeks'. He said they're only waiting for their furniture to come in from the mainland, that everything else is done.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I just rebooked a reservation at a lower rate and saw this on my reservation:

Additional Charges:
• Parking charges: Self parking: 50.00 Valet parking: 25.00

I think they only have valet parking. First time I saw self-parking higher than valet. Voodoo economics.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL: GM, UA: Gold, HH:Gold PC:Platinum
I stayed at this property last July. Interesting the new lounge is still under construction... They had the temporary lounge in place in July. Weird. Anyways, it was a great property, and I actually made it to diamond on that stay. Too bad I was working all the time and only got to go to the pool once.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Are there any lounge updates at this property? I am considering staying here for my 1 night stay before going to Asia. The reviews sound good, but would it be worth 40K points?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by NW-A332
Are there any lounge updates at this property? I am considering staying here for my 1 night stay before going to Asia. The reviews sound good, but would it be worth 40K points?
On the Prince Kuhio web-site, there is some info:

Note: A Temporary Executive Lounge is open in the ''Molokai Room'' until the expansion of the 37th floor is complete. New Executive Lounge arriving first quarter of 2009. Please call Hotel for complete details.

Q1 is just about over--perhaps the new lounge is open.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 9:51 pm

Just spent 2 nights at the Prince Kuhio and the Exec Lounge STILL isn't open!

I made a pretty big fuss about it at check in, letting them know I'd heard on this board that the temporary lounge was crap. I asked for two restaurant vouchers for breakfast in their restaurant and they complied.

I was upgraded to an ocen view room, and the property was great - no complaints there. Yeah, parking is $25 bucks a night, but it's HI. They were fast with valet and I took the car in and out multiple times a day without a problem. Service at check-in was excellent, and everything is within walking distance (beach, restaurants, etc...)

Hopefully they'll get the dang lounge opened up - but all in all, I'd say it's a good property. ^^ from me.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:22 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Stayed at the Prince Kuhio for 6 nights at the start of April, and feel somewhat indifferent about it.

On check in, we were told that we'd be assigned a corner room on the 28th floor which was bigger than the other rooms, so felt initially pleased about our choice and after 30 hours of travel just wanted to crash. However, the next morning we both had a poor nights sleep as the room was vibrating. A quick look outside revealed we were next the the AC unit for the floor, not noisy but you could feel it.

I went to the front desk and explained the problem, no apology, just a prompt offer to move us. I asked about an ocean view room and was told it would be $20 per night to upgrade - which I did. The new room was exactly the same size as the corner room

Overall there was nothing bad about the hotel, but nothing that would make me choose it again. I wasn't expecting my Silver Honors status to get me much, but at the Prince Kuhio it made no difference whatsoever.

If I was to do it again, I'd bid for a 4* on priceline and save $70 per night.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:07 pm

Just finished a stay here over the 4th of July weekend. Used the visa discount and was pretty cheap.

Got an room on the executive level with ocean view. The rooms are a little on the small side but overall it very clean and well kept. Lanai is not very private, pretty much elbow to elbow with your neighbor.

The continental breakfast was nothing special, just bagels, pastries and some cereal.

The executive lounge is still in the temporary location on the ground floor. I was talking to one of the guys working there and he said that the lounge on the 37th was finished but they were still deciding what to do with it. He was telling me they were thinking of having 2 executive lounges, one where the temp is for golds and those staying on the executive floor and the one of the 37th floor for diamonds. Didn't say when that would happen though.

The only downside was checking out. First they didn't leave the folio under the door like the other Hilton's. Thought this was odd since when checking in the paper noted that the folio would be left under the door by 6am on day of check out. When I went downstair to check-out and mentioned I didn't get my folio, girl rudely replied "We don't print the folio till you check out."

After that we went to get our car and it was a zoo. The valet's were completely overloaded. Took us about 15mins before we finally for our car. Probably took an extra 5mins because they brought down one couples car and the rear was pretty badly banged up. They had to deal with that on top of all the other people waiting for their cars.

Overall it was nice for the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.