Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Missed this thread the last few months where it was noted already but just saw it when I went to go look for a room. Very disappointed to see they've finally caved to hotel crack and implemented a resort fee. This property is in no way shape or form a resort. This is a hotel, several blocks from the beach, that caters more to business travel and those who do not want to stay at an actual resort. More importantly since they think they are now a resort, I can no longer stay there as I cannot get those fees reimbursed because "resorts" are excluded. Yikes. I guess I'll shift over to the Embassy Suites Kapolei, which is a very nice new property I stayed at a few weeks ago. Not as convenient but free of resort fees and valet charges too.

Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: internet access; unlimited movies; BOGO admission to Magic of Polynesia Show; Ala Moana & International Market savings passport; 2 daily water/soda; recreational & cultural activities; pool toys & activities; local/toll-free calls.
As a Diamond, I already got free premium internet. Unlimited movies that I would never use. Pool toys? A savings passport? BOGO admission for a show? Those last few with a daily charge not a once per stay extra charge. Are they serious?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
It shouldn't. I would print of your reservation showing the cost with no resort fee and bring it with you, just in case.
Thanks, that's what I would have thought. Was just thrown off with one of the earlier posts from a member in a similar situation, but think I just misinterpreted it.

Regardless, I've been somewhat fortunate to secure a MVP rate for my upcoming stay, so even if the resort fee is enforced, it still looks cheaper than any other comparable property.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ignoramus
With the new resort fee, is there a definitive answer on whether it would apply to future reservations made prior to the announcement? Viewing my reservation for December, the total still shows the original cost, whilst creating a new reservation, it shows a total with the added resort fee.

Any chance of avoiding the fee, by skipping the front desk by doing an online check-in along with digital key?
I can report that I was not charged the resort fee on a stay this past weekend that I reserved before the resort fee was added. When I checked in there was no mention of it and it did not show up on my bill. I did hear them giving some other people the talk about the "benefits" but no one offered me the coupon book. The hotel was a reasonable value minus the resort fee but it is certainly not a resort and $30 is just ridiculous. I booked an ocean view room and I was given one on a high floor which did have a nice view. I didn't care for the breakfast in the lounge but I'd rather have good oatmeal and yogurt and skip the meat and potatoes, so that's just me.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 11/9 - 11/11

Location: The hotel is located in Waikiki an easy three walks to the beach. Nearby are a huge number of restaurants, indoor shopping centers, an ABC Store literally across the street and plenty else to do. You can walk to nearly anything in Waikiki from here. HNL is a $25 Uber and it was easy to get rides at any time of the day from the hotel including on Saturday morning.

Hotel: An older property but in overall good shape. The driveway is annoying and hard to get into so I would meet my rides on the street at the front entrance. There's a large lobby with a Starbucks, a bar and restaurant and an outdoor garden type courtyard. I did not visit the pool on the 10th floor but I did frequent the lounge. Having access to that was nice. Do note that due to the current protests at the Marriott hotels you can hear yelling, chanting, singing and drums at all hours of the day and night

Check In: Preupgraded to an Executive King Beach View from my two queens mountain view so big plus there

Room: Surprisingly nice. Large bed, SmarTV which I almost never see at Hiltons, large bathroom with a really good shower (the hotel uses unique toiletries too), and a balcony with a great view of the beach and nearby hotels. Soundproofing is okay but I sure heard those protesters.

Lounge:

Hours:
- Breakfast: M-F 6-9, Sat-Sun 7-10
- Appetizers: Daily 5-7
- Lounge Closes Daily at 10 PM

Lounge is in the basement with no direct access to the upper floors, you can only access it from the lobby. There is no desk agent, just a key card activated door. It has two computer terminals, sitting area and the dining area which has several large TVs. I went for breakfast twice and the spread was above average. Each day scrambled eggs, meats (sausages one day, bacon the other), pancakes one day and French Toast sticks the other, breakfast potatoes both days plus cereal, fruit, yogurt juice and coffee.

I liked this hotel, I was happy to pay the ~$250 or so all in a night. But the resort fee is an insult and I won't return.
Andriyko and dagangwood like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Isn't this resort fee spree a new way of implementing a tourist tax? Many places are introducing so-called tourist taxes (e.g. Bahamas and Croatia) to help maintain the tourist infrastructure. Or is really just a greedy extra profit stream, a bit like airline bag charges?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Concerto
Isn't this resort fee spree a new way of implementing a tourist tax? Many places are introducing so-called tourist taxes (e.g. Bahamas and Croatia) to help maintain the tourist infrastructure. Or is really just a greedy extra profit stream, a bit like airline bag charges?
Hi,

The resort fee is an extra profit stream as this goes straight to the hotel rather than the local tax raising authority to help maintain the infrastructure ( apart from the tax on the resort fee)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
This nasty practice is spreading, last summer I was in Niagara Falls, ONT and restaurants charge a city fee % on bill to pay for fireworks.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And then of course you’ve got the obligatory tip on top of that. Where’s it going to end? This is the equivalent of fuel taxes on airline tickets. How about award nights? If I somehow manage to snag an award night at Waikiki Beach, do I have to pay resort fees on top?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
And then of course you’ve got the obligatory tip on top of that. Where’s it going to end? This is the equivalent of fuel taxes on airline tickets. How about award nights? If I somehow manage to snag an award night at Waikiki Beach, do I have to pay resort fees on top?
No on full award, yes on points and money.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We’ll see how long that scenario lasts for.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
I had a 4 night stay booked - prior to the introduction of the resort scam fee. I actually canceled and booked elsewhere - and at a lower rate.

I have probably stayed here 60 nights
over the past 5 years, but I think the cash grab and the “benefits” being promoted is ridiculous. I’ll never stay here again.

Resorts should have resort amenities... on the beach, spectacular views, extraordinary service, spa services, fabulous pool facilities... this hotel has none of those things.

Ive also sent a email to management with my cancellation number and reasons for not staying there.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I am here now, and I can tell you, I will be booking elsewhere on my next stay. Take out the outrageous resort fees. I come here after traveling 18 hours, go to checkin. I digitally checked in. No welcoming me back as a diamond member. I asked about an upgrade, checkin attendant says "we are booked full" bring up the app, oh really? here are 7 room categories higher than mine available for my entire stay. E-mailed guest services, they took the side of the check in guy! They said oh we are almost always sold out. I am like it took him 30 seconds to check and it wasn't that hard. I am going to vote with my feet and stay the doubletree on my next business trip. Don't stay here unless you want to fight for your upgrade, and pay $35 in resort fees for literally no benefit you wouldn't get as a diamond.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
are resort fees charged on points bookings?

Can anyone confirm that resort fees are (not) charged on bookings made entirely with Hhonors points based on a recent stay?

I am looking at making such a booking and the Hhonors web site shows the points booking rate as still being charged the resort fee.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Can anyone confirm that resort fees are (not) charged on bookings made entirely with Hhonors points based on a recent stay?
Hilton does not charge resort fees on awards. That's official Hilton Honors policy:
At hotels with resort fees, members on reward stays booked using all Points, or using a Promotional free night reward (e.g., issued by credit card partners, etc.) will not pay resort fees.
Hilton Honors T&C
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hilton does not charge resort fees on awards. That's official Hilton Honors policy:

Hilton Honors T&C
Thanks! Now I have to choose between spending one night at the Hilton Waikiki versus the Hilton Garden Inn in Waikiki. Seems like the HGI has a better breakfast for Golds. But the old Prince Kuhio may have other advantages?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.