Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor - Diamonds to get all on-property benefits

Rumor - Diamonds to get all on-property benefits

Old Jan 24, 12, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Skimanant View Post
How is it a devaluation for gold? Don't see that, you are not losing anything.

Diamonds should get preference. Full stop. Why? I stay on average 60- 70 nights a year (I know some stay more), and sometimes I have wondered what I get extra to the gold who has stayed 16-20 nights- if it has been earnt.
I have been in the check in queue where the gold in front of me was upgraded and due to a "weak" member of staff I wasn't. But, I have also got some nice upgrades.
It is space available still, we must remember that and if a hotel can sell the room it will.
If golds think it is bad, requalify as a diamond next year. Thats the way it should be, its a reward for loyalty.
I think this is a nice idea, well done Hilton, lets look at positives instead of trying to find everything that might go wrong. I have had some fantastic stays with the brand, and I continue to be a big fan.
^ I also don't understand how this is a downgrade to golds. If anything this cold mean more upgrades will occur for them on exec level rooms if diamonds are getting suites they didn't get in the past, leaving the exec level rooms they would have received open for golds to get upgraded into.

A diamond staying at a Hilton should get upgraded before a gold. I am only Platnium on Delta and certainly don't expect to get upgraded on a flight before a diamond level does.
Old Jan 24, 12, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Are you a regular there? Was there any mention of the new rules when they assigned you the suite?

That's good news. One anecdote at one hotel of course, but at least it's a good one! ^
She my post about the Wit as well for my stay this coming weekend. Was upgraded either Friday or Saturday and have never been upgraded there before. Hopefully all HH properties will follow these two properties.
Old Jan 24, 12, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Nice change, good rumour to find mgoflyer. Its about time the change was made as I always disliked having to choose between points and an upgrade (my stays tended to only earn 2000points/night otherwise at a Hilton on a low corporate rate and were only for a single night). Lets see what happens with regards to suites etc, truth be told my standard hotels already offered these benefits to me as a regular - will be nice to see its impact on future stays.

At least I don't have to remember keeping coming back to MyWay preferences before a vacation.
Old Jan 24, 12, 3:15 pm

OK let's make some things clear. Diamonds should and always were upgraded before Golds its always been in the operations manual in almost every case, especially where any well-organised front desk is doing the upgrades before arrival during the night audit. There may be occassions when it makes sense to upgrade a Gold before as I explain below.

Second, it COULD be a devaluation for both, as Diamonds are losing the 'will be' upgraded to Executive Room that existed before. So are Gold's. Just because there is some waffle saying you 'MAY' get a suite doesn't mean it will happen any more that it does already. As HHD I have been upgraded to suite's many many times, OK I travel exclusively in EMEA, I don't think it will make any difference now that it's in writing.

I'm sure we have all found ourselves in a position in some hotels where the hotel says 'full no upgrades' to see plenty of rooms available in the GDS and after some shoving and quoting of the Hilton HHonors website an upgrade to the Executive Floor is given. Now, what can we quote? We can be upgraded to any room they chose.

I can't see how a bunch of 'may's really make things better, if it was going to say, 'Diamonds will be upgraded to Suites and if not available the next best room type' then I would be very happy. This is not the case.

Of course any hotel that is already generous should continue to do so, my parents have been upgraded as a Gold many times to suites in the UK, as they spend plenty of money in a small selection of hotels where they are well-known. This is just business sense and it wouldn't surprise me to see hotels upgrading big-spending regular Gold's than some guy on a one nighter as Diamond. I mean, Gold Preferred exists for this reason doesn't it?

Hilton might like to address the disparity between the low spending 60 night Diamonds and the high spenders achieving the status with a few nights in a suite.

Obviously things are very different outside EMEA: I always felt I was more valued than HHG given I got a lot of suite upgrades & complimentary breakfast even if I had lounge access, welcome drinks, GM at reception etc. I don't see what difference this will make or why this new policy was even necessary.
Old Jan 24, 12, 3:24 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k
Thumbs up Official now

It is now visible on VIP Hotel Benefits when you log onto your account and updated in General HH terms and conditions, and here: http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/diamond.do

Hilton® Hotels & Resorts

As a Diamond member, you receive the following benefits:

Upgrades to Preferred Rooms

Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors**, or suites, as identified by each property. Some exclusions based on rate and room type may apply. See Terms & Conditions for details.

Hilton HHonors® Bonus Points
Earn 1,000 Hilton HHonors® Bonus Points per stay

Continental Breakfast
You will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for you and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day of your stay.
Old Jan 24, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Hugolover- "low spending 60 night"

That doesnt make sense. Say $120 per night= $7200. To quote "compared to a few nights in a suite", ok at $2000 a night?

Its about choice and the fact these customers keep coming back to the brand, and probably also spend some on drinks and a meal.

Nothing against golds, and if a gold gets a nice upgrade then thats the bonus of loyalty, but golds should not complain about what is a generous mid tier programme, and you should not knock diamonds who only spend 60 nights a year with Hilton.
Old Jan 24, 12, 3:52 pm

At the risk of being OT:

The whole stay is taken into consideration for qualification based on folio spend.

I guess its like Flying Blue, it's very easy and cheap to qualify for Platinum on a very small spend as it counts as segments vs LH SEN where you won't get very far on 60 cheap tickets.
Old Jan 24, 12, 4:08 pm

Terms and Conditions

Not sure if anyone has actually looked at the terms and conditions, but the small print usually prevails...

Upgrades exclude executive suites, villas and specialty accommodations, subject to the discretion of the hotel. Group reservations and certain rates are not eligible for suite accommodations and may not be eligible for complimentary upgrades. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis for the entire stay, as determined at the time of check-in. Preferred rooms are identified by each individual property and may vary within each brand. Upgrades will be given only for one room for the member, regardless of additional rooms the member may have purchased at or after the time of booking. The following brands do not offer complimentary upgrades: Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, Home2 Suites by Hilton®, and Hilton Grand Vacations®.

Here is the link for the complete list of terms:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...nors_amenities
Old Jan 24, 12, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
To be honest, I think that to me is a reduction in benefits.
+1. With the exception of getting 1K points too, I don't know why there are folks so excited about this. I suppose a few days ago we were all excited about suite UG's, not HH has just made it official that hotels can skimp out on upgrades that they have always been doing, calling rooms with views, high floors, floors with less noise an "upgrade" when we all really know it is not.

Thus this change just in my mind legitimizes the ability of a hotel to pass out sham UG's in trying to pull fleece over my eyes all while trying to make me feel special.
Old Jan 24, 12, 6:06 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by GVA View Post
Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked.
I know that this has been talked about by several upthread. We are right to be concerned. I checked in at a Conrad where I have stayed numerous times. I have always been treated generously. This time, I was told I was being given room X, as it is "a one level up from what you have booked". I have never encountered that in my 10 years as a diamond staying there. Some low key conversation, and my expectations were met - but they certainly began with honoring precisely the new nomenclature.
Old Jan 24, 12, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I know that this has been talked about by several upthread. We are right to be concerned. I checked in at a Conrad where I have stayed numerous times. I have always been treated generously. This time, I was told I was being given room X, as it is "a one level up from what you have booked". I have never encountered that in my 10 years as a diamond staying there. Some low key conversation, and my expectations were met - but they certainly began with honoring precisely the new nomenclature.
That is extremely worrying and would be a huge devaluation.
Old Jan 24, 12, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I think that we need to know how this was communicated to the hotels. At least they now have the suites as part of the upgrade pool.

At Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, and DoubleTree by Hilton™ properties, Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability at the time of check-in (excludes Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri).

Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, as identified by each property.
But then these are discretion of the hotel:

Upgrades exclude executive suites, villas and specialty accommodations, subject to the discretion of the hotel
Old Jan 25, 12, 2:19 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
I was very excited about that one in the first few days of the announcement, especially when a property that hadn't upgraded me to a suite did so without any problems, also all my current bookings at properties became suites (albeit junior ones).

Now the official wording is very worrying. I "may" get a suite if one is available...just like I "may" win the Euromillions at the next draw.

If this is just another program devaluation (read:scam) like the previous ones then I'm done with ANY hotel program and I'll just Priceline/Hotwire everything.

In the current economy you would think they would do anything to keep their loyal customers instead of antagonizing them. Then again see AFKL and April Fools.

UTA
Old Jan 25, 12, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh View Post
also all my current bookings at properties became suites (albeit junior ones).
how far ahead are these current bookings????
Old Jan 25, 12, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
also all my current bookings at properties became suites (albeit junior ones
).

how did you manage that? my booking just show the rooms i've reserved.
do you contact the hotel before your stay, requesting upgrades?

thanks!

Search this Thread