Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Abu Dhabi {ARE} (leaves Hilton end 2018)

Hilton Abu Dhabi {ARE} (leaves Hilton end 2018)

Old Sep 2, 17, 12:49 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by whimsey21 View Post
If they do renovate the rooms, I suspect that they could charge quite a bit more - my two rooms together cost less than a recent one room booking at a suburban HGI (far) outside of Boston...
No, that's because you came to AD in the summer - which is when rates are rock bottom. If you come back in Winter, you'll realise those rates aren't as appealing. They charge $300 a night for those 1980s 'beach resort retro-style rooms' in the winter.
Old Oct 28, 18, 7:33 am

Hilton Abu Dhabi set to be deflagged as of 31 December 2018:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/10/28/...ember-31-2018/

Not sure who is coming in to replace HIlton or whether they are going to knock it down - the building certainly looks massively out of place sandwiched between the Nation Towers and the ADNOC HQ.
Old Oct 28, 18, 7:41 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Hilton Abu Dhabi set to be deflagged as of 31 December 2018:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/10/28/...ember-31-2018/

Not sure who is coming in to replace HIlton or whether they are going to knock it down - the building certainly looks massively out of place sandwiched between the Nation Towers and the ADNOC HQ.
They are currently building an adjacent (joined by walkway, I believe) restaurant complex which makes demolition unlikely.

Additionally I understand that this was the first proper international chain hotel to arrive in Abu Dhabi & as such a certain Sheikh has decreed that the hotel must stay, more or less, in its current guise. Naturally, in the sandpit, anything is possible though

There were proposals to put a Tower to the rear (at the parking lot) but that was scuppered.

ADNH (the owners) do operate various of Le Meridien, Ritz C, Sheraton, Park Hyatt, Sofitel within UAE, so lets see.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:20 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
They are currently building an adjacent (joined by walkway, I believe) restaurant complex which makes demolition unlikely.

Additionally I understand that this was the first proper international chain hotel to arrive in Abu Dhabi & as such a certain Sheikh has decreed that the hotel must stay, more or less, in its current guise. Naturally, in the sandpit, anything is possible though

There were proposals to put a Tower to the rear (at the parking lot) but that was scuppered.

ADNH (the owners) do operate various of Le Meridien, Ritz C, Sheraton, Park Hyatt, Sofitel within UAE, so lets see.
I hear this property will become a Radisson Blu hotel.

Old Oct 30, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I have booked and already paid for a stay in January. Will I get HH points? Will it count towards status?
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:39 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by jlsw7 View Post
I have booked and already paid for a stay in January. Will I get HH points? Will it count towards status?
No to both questions if it's no longer a Hilton. You can try contacting Hilton to see if they'll let you change hotels, but being pre-paid, that may not be possible.
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:43 pm

Will I get diamond benefits? It seems a bit rough not to honour the benefits that enticed me to book at that hotel. I haven't even been given notice that it wont be a Hilton, I just saw it here.
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:01 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by jlsw7 View Post
Will I get diamond benefits? It seems a bit rough not to honour the benefits that enticed me to book at that hotel. I haven't even been given notice that it wont be a Hilton, I just saw it here.
They may give the Diamond benefits, but are not required to do so. Totally agree that it seems unreasonable to book a Hilton and then suddenly lose all the benefits. Happened to us many years ago in Phoenix and we turned up at a hotel which had been deflagged just a few days earlier and we only found out upon arrival. Still enjoyed the stay but received no benefits. Perhaps contact the hotel by email to see if they will consider giving you some of the Diamond benefits you expected.
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:30 pm
NoY

Ask the hotel if they will switch the booking to Hilton Capital Grand, where benefits (If they are essential) are assured?
Old Oct 31, 18, 3:04 am

The benefits aren't essential and I still prefer this hotel overall. But, I do think it's shoddy to hold the property out as a Hilton, take a non-refundable booking on that basis and then not provide the benefits. Hilton and the hotel must have known this was coming up for some time.
Old Nov 2, 18, 10:21 pm
NoY

Confirmed as Radisson Blu, from January 2019.
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:01 pm

Once again FT folks saved the day😆. I had 9 nights booked pre-cruise for next year & had no idea it was leaving the Hilton chain.

As I enjoy Gold benefits, I cancelled & am looking at the Capital as mentioned above.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This somewhat saddens me. I have stayed at this hotel many times, and although it had a bunch of outdated elements it had some things going for it. A beach club for one, something which until recently was not something that other properties in Abu Dhabi had. It also had a normal type pub/bar, that was not over the top where one could genuinely sit and relax, very unlike some of the crazy ornate places that are in some of the newer hotels. It had location, but most importantly it had a history, in a place that had little, and where one could imagine the 70's chic and the boom times as they came to AD in the 1970's
mecabq likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:10 am

I wouldn't count on any Honors benefits, including points, for a stay after the hotel leaves Hilton. Even though you pre-paid, you might be able to get your reservation changed to another Hilton for the same dates. I would make a low key request of the Diamond Desk.

If that fails, go to https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started and make a concise complaint. Hilton will respond quickly and generously to complaints through the Better Business Bureau. Their response to Better Business Bureau complaints is faster and generally results in better compensations than emails to executives, social media posts, etc - in large part because complaints to the Better Business Bureau (and Hilton's responses) are public. In case you need them, here are the details of the Better Business office that deals with Hilton.
  • BBB serving Metro Washington DC & Eastern Pennsylvania
  • 1411 K St. NW, 10th Floor
  • Washington, DC 20005-3404
  • (202)393-8000
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:10 am

Sad to see this place go.

I just contacted the hotel about a pre-paid, non-ref reservation for April, and they refunded me in full without a fuss, which was appreciated.