Hilton Malta {MLT}

Old Apr 8, 01, 7:12 pm
JAP
Original Poster

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Arrow Hilton Malta {MLT}

Does anyone have experience of the Hilton in Malta ?
I'm hoping to book a week in the hotel (tomorrow) in August this year on hhonors points, and would appreciate any inputs.
BTW I'm a Gold VIP
Thanx
John P.
Old Apr 8, 01, 9:02 pm

I stayed at the Westin, which is adjacent to the Hilton a few years ago, and while I can't comment on the Hilton, as it was being rebuilt, both hotels are in an area that was well populated with dozens of restaurants and clubs - the town did not lack in attractions. Valleta, the capital, is some miles away, however, a minibus will take you directly into town, which I highly recommend, rather than staying at the hotel resort during your entire stay.

I would also recommend a car rental for a day or two to see the rest of the country, which can be toured in a day or less, however, be aware of the siestas during mid-day, when everything other than the Hard Rock Cafe closes down...yes, sadly, they have a Hard Rock Cafe there now.

Have a fun trip, Malta is a history rich country with friendly people.
Old Apr 10, 01, 9:48 am
JAP
Original Poster

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Thanx for the info - has anyone stayed there recently ? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

John P.
Old Apr 12, 01, 3:53 pm
JAP
Original Poster

I've now booked a week in this Hilton for the middle of August, so there's no going back ! )

Anyone ever ever stayed here ??
Old Apr 12, 01, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LTP, Le Club Accor hotels Plat
I have stayed at both the Hilton and the Westin. You will be happy to find out that IMHO the Hilton is much nicer. Both are modern could-be-anywhere-in-the-world places.

The Malta Hilton is part of a new complex of shops and residences build around a man made harbor. I was there last year and the residence part was still under construction, but the Hilton was complete. There is a nice large landscaped pool area and the executive lounge is very comfortable with web access and good snacks. The rooms are pretty nice. They are your standard rectangles with balconies or terraces and spacious tiled bathrooms.

As mentioned there are some restaurants and clubs near the Hotel, but the old city is a few miles away. One of the coolest things about Malta are the old busses… you will see what I mean when you get there.
Old Apr 12, 01, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Use the Search function here or on the Starwood forum. Somebody compared the two chains' properties on the island a few months ago, and it could be instructive to you.
Old Jul 9, 01, 3:08 am
JAP
Original Poster

Hilton Malta Experience ?

Hello all !

I know that I've asked b4, but just wanted to see if anyone had been to the Hilton Malta in the recent past ?

I've heard many good things about this resort, and will visit for 9 days in August.

I'm HH Gold VIP and wondering what this might do for me ? Do they have an Exec floor etc. ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John P.
Old Jul 10, 01, 2:12 am
JAP
Original Poster

bump !
Old Jul 11, 01, 9:59 am

My last stay was in May. In my opinion this is a great Hilton property - excelent facilities; very attentive service; fantastic design, without the glitz of the Hilton Corporation Resort properties (no kids running around; good food rather than lots of food etc).

Certainly in my view the best chain hotel on the island. The location is subject to personal taste... St Julien's (?) is very English with lots of psudo-pubs and frankly rather down-market because of all the Brits staying in the masses of self-catering appartments - I love it!

The Blue Elephant restaurant - like all Blue Elephants - is very good. Make sure you book.

They do have an Executive Floor and Executive Lounge. The Lounge is purpose built, large and is basically very good (views; drinks; food; breakfast etc), even by European standards.

I am Diamond and basically my experience is that the higher that rate you pay the more chance you have of getting a decent room. I have stayed there and had a fantastic suite and I have stayed there and had a small room.

My advice would be to try and push for a good balcony (I think all rooms have balcony's, but some are very shaded and small, some are enormous).

Given the relatively low prices, I would certainly pay the extra for a corner room.

Make sure you get checked in by a manager and not one of the students from the local Tourism College.

I could talk for ages... one of my favourite hotels (classy but not stuffy) and one of my favorite European destinations.

Nick
Old Jul 16, 01, 5:16 pm
JAP
Original Poster

Nick,

Thanx for your enlightening reply.

I'll be staying on the first night in Malta Hilton on a paid stay with sea view - after that I'm on a 7 night points stay. The receptionist who I spoke to said that she would "try" to ensure that I get the same room for my whole stay - the points stay is I believe only valid for a marina view.
Should I book the Blue Elephant before I travel ?
Do you have the name of the Hhonors Manager who I could fax beforehand ?

Thanks for your help here - Is there anything else important I should know ?

John P.
Old Jul 23, 01, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hilton Malta

Anyone out there know anything about it. Heading out there in November and wanted to know if anyone had a review.

Thanks,
Seth.
Old Jul 23, 01, 1:06 pm
JAP
Original Poster

Seth,

Try searching under Malta in this forum - I'm going in mid-August and have heard nothing but good things about the hotel.
I've had some replies here for the same question.

I'm hh Gold VIP - won't be diamond until after the trip

I will also let u know how I get on afterwards.
Old Jul 23, 01, 2:35 pm

I've not actually stayed in this hotel but have been there for a drink. It is on a sort of headland near to St Julians. St Julians is a pretty noisy tacky sort of place with little worth seeing. The hotel is on the outskirts of Sliema and Valetta. (Short taxi ride) We walked into Sliema in about 30 minutes. Sliema and Valetta are beautiful if you have not been there before. The architecture and history is magnificient.
Old Jul 23, 01, 3:22 pm
JAP
Original Poster

Ryker,

Any comments on the service etc. etc. ?

John P.
Old Jul 24, 01, 7:13 am

Jap, I was not a guest so cannot comment on room service, check-in etc however the couple we were visiting are pretty seasoned travellers and seemed very happy with everything. I remember several restaurants that looked inviting. (Seemed to be smart dress)I also remember quite a few Italians there that week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: