Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hanoi Opera {VNM}[Closing 1 Dec 22 for conversion to WA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Hanoi Opera {VNM}[Closing 1 Dec 22 for conversion to WA]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I've gotten upgraded at the Hilton Hanoi as gold several times. I like this property as you can really walk around town.

At the Intercon I've gotten upgraded to the over the water rooms twice on single-night stays, both times that I stayed there. But it isn't as central as the Hilton Hanoi.
Would you pay the difference in price between this and the HGI if it was like $30?
Old May 30, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Would you pay the difference in price between this and the HGI if it was like $30?
That's a tough call, but only because the region is so cheap that you're talking about roughly a 50% premium. Personally, I'd be willing to pay $30 extra (although that would be near my limits), although I highly doubt the Hilton Hanoi Opera is 50% better than the HGI. For my stay, I believe I paid about $19 extra per night over the HGI.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Any recent reviews of this property? I understand that the rooms are quite dated now?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:36 pm

We stayed for 6 nights during Christmas (2018). Yes, the rooms are quite dated still. The rooms are large and that was an attractive feature - it is also in the French Quarter but really close to the Old Quarter so it was very easy to get anywhere. The Executive Lounge was nice- very attentive- the breakfast was better in the restaurant. We had issues with security though which really made us very cautious. We travel a lot - I don't want or need turn down service. In shorter stays, I don't even want the staff to come in to clean. Therefore, we put up the DO NOT DISTURB sign. Well, the first night, they brought a nice sweets arrangement. Nice- but in our experience, staff doesn't come in when you have the sign up and you normally have a note or a phone message indicator and then they they tell you they have something. We have even had hotels call since I asked for let's say extra towels but the DND was up- they would not knock. The second night, I put in 1.5M VND in the safe but being Xmas eve and jet lagged- we must have not closed it (as the security let us know). We had the DND up - which was verified- but they came in anyway for a little stocking and candy for the kids. That was nice- or so we thought. In the AM, I was packing since we did get upgraded to a suite and I saw the VNDs were gone. During this time, I had a staff member knock on the door asking if they could clean the room- with the DND still on! I will cut this short but we went to security who asked the staff who said they didn't take it (surprise surprise!). They did try to assess if we were confused on our money- but we were not since the first night, we didn't have any VND- we came directly from the airport. There was no confusion. They offered to help me file a police report which would have added even more to a waste of time on our vacation that I had spent already talking to the hotel. Zero effort to compensate or anything- I figured I would just share experience and inform corporate (if they even care). We had family staying as well and their DND was also a joke- staff knocked in the AM asking to clean etc. I know 1.5M VND isn't a huge amount in US standards but it was stolen and a violation of privacy- we let the DND sign on for the remaining 4 nights. By then, they communicated this to the staff so no one entered.

We went to Danang after this and stayed at the Novotel- it was SO nice to stay somewhere so new/modern - their exec floor offerings were quite varied and nice- staff was amazing!. Overall, I would not recommend the Hilton in Hanoi.

Last edited by WAStraveller; Jan 8, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Any other recent stays here that people can comment on? Was reading reviews on TA and although I am not that bothered about the old dated rooms, it is worrying that the rooms are smelly and have that damp feeling. Is the HGI better in terms of this specific issue?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Any other recent stays here that people can comment on? Was reading reviews on TA and although I am not that bothered about the old dated rooms, it is worrying that the rooms are smelly and have that damp feeling. Is the HGI better in terms of this specific issue?
I'd also be interested in any additional stays/reviews, including Diamond treatment and how it compares with the HGI if possible. Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Just completed a quick one night stay here earlier this week. Diamond, booked the basic King Deluxe room a few weeks ago. Thanked for being a Diamond member at check-in and of course given Executive Lounge access but other than that no upgrade other than to an Opera view. The hotel was showing as being completely sold out though so wasn't expecting much.

The room was like taking a step back in time, especially as we came directly from a newly renovated room at the Conrad BKK. Very dated but large and perfectly serviceable for a one night stay.

Re: the security "issues" mentioned upthread, we checked in and walked to the room for the first time and found the door to our room wide open. Just strange.

King Deluxe Room

Opera view
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Hi all,

My wife and I recently stayed here for 2 nights and wanted to get give some feedback.

I think I can honestly say this is one of the worst Hilton's I have ever stayed in. It is old and just smells. The hotel needs a major refurb and I can not understand how Hilton allows this hotel to operate in the state that it is in.

Yes, the rooms are big, but that does not take away from the mouldy smell that then sticks to all your clothes. The bed was hard so I assume the mattress is probably the same one that came when the hotel first opened.

The executive lounge is big but sitting on the sofa's felt dirty.

The only good thing is that the hotel is located in a good part of town. Everything is within walking distance which is handy...but that is about it....

I don't mean to be negative but when you arrive having stayed at the new Hilton Da Nang I become confused as to the standards of Hilton properties.

It is such a shame as the hotel has huge potential.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
​​​​​​Stayed here for a few days back in a September. The location is perfect for walking around Hanoi. The hotel is a bit dated, but I didn’t think it was anything to be concerned about. The room was clean and comfortable, though as mentioned before, there is a bit of humid, musty smell. Not too bad though. As a Diamond, there was local fresh fruit in my room everyday, with some small water bottle. We were upgraded to the executive floor, and the breakfast and reception were nice. Service was very nice. The pool outside was fun for an evening just to cool down and relax for a couple hours. I would stay here again if back in Hanoi.
My only real compliant, don’t book travel through the hotel. Car service and taxis are extremely cheap in Vietnam. But when I inquired at the front desk about arranging travel by car to Nin Binh, the quoted me a price 3x what would be normal (ie $350 vs what turned out to be $100).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I stay here for a few days each year. It's a hotel living on location and brand. I can't fault the location (it's why I stay), but the place is getting long in the tooth. Rooms that were in need of TLC have dipped into shabbiness. The staff are the jewels of the 7th-floor executive lounge, which is a place is great on comfort food, but like many Hiltons lacks the style and elegance of its competitors. It might be tough getting the owner to invest in an upgrade, but that's what's needed.

One my pet dislikes is seeing guests walk in, put together a plate of food and walk out with it.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:38 am

thank you for that update. we have reservations there in a week, can you recommend any more stylish place? Doesn't have to be a hilton, but location would be important. we are staying at the metropole our last two nights, but much more expensive
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by pentiumii
thank you for that update. we have reservations there in a week, can you recommend any more stylish place? Doesn't have to be a hilton, but location would be important. we are staying at the metropole our last two nights, but much more expensive
Hotel de L’Opera(also from Accor) looks very nice, the location is good and price is a fraction from the Metropole, however I stayed with my family at the Hilton 3 years ago and they treated us very well.
In the 3 different stays over 2 weeks they upgraded us to suites and granted EL access for both suites, complimentary breakfast at the restaurant, fruits, biscuits and chocolates on arrival,...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by pentiumii
The Hilton's fine, if you accept the limitations that often come with Hiltons. The beds are supremely comfortable (though of course, that's a highly subjective judgement), and that's a big plus for any hotel. The other plus is that if you stay in Hiltons you probably know how things work and feel comfortable there.

There are a number of upmarket "boutique" hotels that do a good job, but I avoid recommending any because it's quite a volatile market. I think you'd probably want to stay within striking distance of Hoàn Kiếm lake, which would be a requirement certainly filled by the Apricot Hotel.

This site lists some boutique type places, and tripadvisor might give you an idea - although reviews there can be horribly skewed
https://boutiquehotel.me/hanoi/simpl...UaAtTiEALw_wcB

Of the world brands the Sofitel Metropole and l'Opera are streets ahead of Hilton in stylishness. I rate highly the Intercontinental at West Lake: it's built over the lake in a very upmarket, laid back lakeside area and expat enclave between the centre and the airport. But at all these hotels you might need to go for a room level a bit higher than entry level, and that can be pricey. The blessing of the Hilton is it has a lot of rooms to fill, knows its position in the pecking order, and usually prices accordingly
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I stayed here at the beginning of July across two separate stays within one week. The first stay was one night for which I was upgraded to an opera house view. The second time for three nights I received no upgrade aside from being on the executive lounge floor. The Diamond benefits included breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. I also received fresh fruit my first stay but not the second one. I didn't take the breakfast in the restaurant since the lounge offering was sufficient. In addition to the warmed food, they will do made to order eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc. The staff was overly friendly, and housekeeping even cleaned my room on my day of departure. I had an evening flight out of HAN, and they allowed a 4 pm checkout. Typically Hiltons only will do a 2 pm checkout "as a courtesy".

The airport transfer prices are inflated compared to other options. I'd opt for Grab or even a standard taxi as you're likely to pay only 20% of the price of a one way transfer. The rooms are an adequate size with universal outlets, but they are in need of refurbishment. I also noticed the musty smell. My first room had a dehumidifier that I had emptied before going to bed. By the time I woke up on the morning, it had shut off already due to a full water tank. Upon returning home Mrs. Majuki commented on the musty smell that had permeated my clothes, suitcase, and briefcase. That being said, the price was right, and the location is central to most tourist sites in Hanoi. I was able to walk almost everywhere.

One final complaint is the fact that the hotel did not code as a Hilton on the Hilton Honors Aspire Card. The charges posted as Hilton Hanoi Opera and lodging, and I checked out at the front desk. I will have to call American Express to see what can be done to receive the bonus points.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I stayed here at the beginning of July across two separate stays within one week. The first stay was one night for which I was upgraded to an opera house view. The second time for three nights I received no upgrade aside from being on the executive lounge floor. The Diamond benefits included breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. I also received fresh fruit my first stay but not the second one. I didn't take the breakfast in the restaurant since the lounge offering was sufficient. In addition to the warmed food, they will do made to order eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc. The staff was overly friendly, and housekeeping even cleaned my room on my day of departure. I had an evening flight out of HAN, and they allowed a 4 pm checkout. Typically Hiltons only will do a 2 pm checkout "as a courtesy".

The airport transfer prices are inflated compared to other options. I'd opt for Grab or even a standard taxi as you're likely to pay only 20% of the price of a one way transfer. The rooms are an adequate size with universal outlets, but they are in need of refurbishment. I also noticed the musty smell. My first room had a dehumidifier that I had emptied before going to bed. By the time I woke up on the morning, it had shut off already due to a full water tank. Upon returning home Mrs. Majuki commented on the musty smell that had permeated my clothes, suitcase, and briefcase. That being said, the price was right, and the location is central to most tourist sites in Hanoi. I was able to walk almost everywhere.

One final complaint is the fact that the hotel did not code as a Hilton on the Hilton Honors Aspire Card. The charges posted as Hilton Hanoi Opera and lodging, and I checked out at the front desk. I will have to call American Express to see what can be done to receive the bonus points.

Thank you. Just in case anyone comes back here to read this thread, I wanted to add my recommendation on the airport Transfer. For me if was incredibly cheap for the service, but may still be expensive for Vietnam. I used http://hanoitransferservice.com both upon arrival and going back to the airport. Private vehicle, guy with sign waiting for us on arrival. On time pickup at hotel to go back. $12 US each way. Tremendous communication and service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.