Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

When the Executive Lounge is no longer the Executive Lounge...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When the Executive Lounge is no longer the Executive Lounge...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BHMFlier
I don't take the OP's comments to be DYKWIA behavior at all as I was at the same hotel from December 29 until January 2 and had very similar issues. We also complained to the front desk and to the hotel's general manager when we checked out on January 2 and got no resolution from our complaints either. The OP had a complaint, he didn't get an answer, he posted it here and got blasted for some on this board.

Maybe the Super 8 would be more quiet. At least their management does a better job of quieting loud partiers!
As I suggested to the OP, you should leave a negative 1 or 2 star review on Trip Advisor. I would also contact the diamond desk.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
As I suggested to the OP, you should leave a negative 1 or 2 star review on Trip Advisor. I would also contact the diamond desk.
Pardon my ignorance, I have never written reviews on Trip Advisor before. My understanding is that signing up and writing a bad review is almost as valuable as having never written one in the first place. Is this not correct?

I am not a diamond, so I think the only access I have to Hilton is via their guest satisfaction survey or their customer service phone line.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by X3Skier
If I was in any hotel in any town on New Year's Eve, I would certainly check to see if there was any event at the hotel that might mess up my plans. Bowl Game or not, minor or not, New Year's Eve is usually a night to party and probably not the best day of the year for a good night sleep in any hotel. Of course I did not check and suppose I was lucky to get a good night's sleep at the Memphis Hilton that evening as I noted in an earlier post

That said, I hope all your efforts result some satisfaction and you are able to enjoy whatever happens in 2012 at Hilton, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Super 8 or whatever system you decide to will have the benefit of your custom.

Cheers
liberty bowl is not a NYE bowl.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrredskin
Don't know if it normally is or not, but it was this year.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by treznor
Don't know if it normally is or not, but it was this year.
Its a third tier POS bowl for teams that no other good bowls want

IIRC, its never been on NYEve
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
IIRC, its never been on NYEve
According to Wikipedia, it's been held NYE 10 of the past 15 years.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I wasn't so much complaining that the lounge was closed, lots of Hilton lounges are closed on the weekends, that's a given as the lounges cater to business travelers. I was upset with the noise level in the hotel and the flippant response from the front desk to the point of "what did you expect, you're staying at the team hotel?" When I say noise, we're talking: can hear every word of the very loud party next door, people running up and down the hall way at all hours of the night, some sort of artificial noise maker like one of those soccer horns in the hallway at 1 AM, etc. A simple, move me to a quieter room or please ask those around that are partying late into the night to please tone it down a notch, not dismiss my concerns as idiotic because I stayed at a hotel during a special event. At $200+ a night, I don't think that's an unreasonable request.
Yes I think I got that. I think you did what you should have done, and agree 100% that the hotels' response was unacceptable. I'm not saying that they should have owed it to you to moved you (they might not have been able to), but to say "what do you expect" is not CS to me.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by mrredskin
Unless there was a time warp in the Memphis area in 2011, it was New Year's Eve, Dec 31 2011, when I was at the game.

Of course I was on Beale street the night before the game on Dec 30 so I may have lost track of time and be mistaken.

Cheers
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL PM & Kryptonium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I can understand your issue here but unfortnately these things happen not only at bowl games but other events that take up a large portion of a hotel. A Vanderbilt fan told me that most of the major hotels were sold out for the game so the hotel manager may not have been able to move you if he wanted.
The response from the front desk was unacceptable and should have been more sympathetic.
I am a UC fan and have attended several bowl games the past few years (didn't go this year) but the team hotel has been at a different brand every year. The lobbies can get pretty noisy with the fans but frankly, I never heard any noise in my room. Most of the fans party at the local bars, etc. and come back to the hotel to sleep it off.
I stay at all levels of Hiltons in my travels from Hamptons to Hiltons. I've had my share of issues over the years but I must say that when I contacted corporate directly, I was always given compensation, usually free night certs, sometimes for more days than I actually spent at the hotel. I've recieved the same treatment from Marriott, Radisson, etc.
Send a reasonable letter expressing your dissatisfaction and I think you will be compensated.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Is this normal to shut down the lounge for a private group? I could understand if the group had the ENTIRE hotel booked. But if I were paying for the executive level or a diamond staying at a property, I would expect use of the lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Is this normal to shut down the lounge for a private group? I could understand if the group had the ENTIRE hotel booked. But if I were paying for the executive level or a diamond staying at a property, I would expect use of the lounge.
We've attended a few Oz Fests in which FlyerTalkers comprised, let us say, a conspicuous presence in a lounge. However, others were there also.

I agree it seems odd or at least different.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
I'm a long time HH guy so I like them.

They should have created a new play area for the rowdies -at the other
end of the ground floor where there's better padding. and better security.
(and limit the damage in case they win or lose & show emotions)
or create a new EL for the regulars, free drinks and snacks.

Hundreds of win/win examples but Front desk clerk = needs help.

I use the example of the Asian 5 stars where the front desks are manned
by the smartest and most customer friendly folks in the world
(imagine facing dozens of jet-lagged folks who demand...) and the
front-side manager is an experienced pro (still young) and speaks
loads of languages. Experienced this at the Intercontinental in Beijing.

do sensitivity training and have them watch the British TV series "hotel Babylon"
disasters every episode and ALWAYS solved (although it is a TV program)

hope HH/and hotel manager/owner responds to you. Only right thing to do

Bob
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
"" Dear Business Traveller, your exam question for this week is to compare and contrast:

(1) Intercontinental Frankfurt - you are a Platinum member who, upon check-in late in the evening from a flight, are told that there is a noisy party on your floor and that you should pay for an upgrade to a suite on a quieter floor so that you are not bothered by the noisy group; and

(2) Banyan Tree in Thailand - you have never stayed there before, and upon checkin, are offered an upgrade to a larger private bungalow and two free spa treatment vouchers. When you explore the grounds later that day, you discover a large and very noisy wedding party on the side of the property that your originally booked room was located".

Both could be described as 5* luxury properties and I am not for a minute suggesting they are identical....but while one tried to dip their hand in my wallet, the other dealt with the potential issue proactively and far beyond expectations.

(dont worry, as a good flyertalker, I got my upgrade for the price of getting room service breakfasts which we would have ordered anyway... oh, but they had forgotten this deal at check out, so I had to "negotiate" that one more time... grrr... never again).

Last edited by LostAntipod; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
One time I stayed at the Hilton NY Times Square during New Years Eve, there was a loud party and a lot of people that kept me up past midnight. Who do I contact to get compensation?

I'm never staying there again, not even at a $20/night mistake fare.
ORD-TGU's comment reminded me of my all-time favorite hotel review: the Sheraton in downtown Iowa City titled "Hell on Earth" (January 3, 2005) in Trip Advisor. This used to be the only downtown hotel in Iowa City, mind you, outside of the small secluded Iowa House on the UI campus. Now, the luxury privately owned Hotel Vetro is right next door. Anyway, Iowa City is a college town where twenty and thirty-somethings from all over the state flock on New Year's Eve (along with many college kids returning for a "night of fun"). Many of those seeking a night of shenanigans choose the Sheraton for its convenience to 60+ restaurants and bars within a 1/4 mile. Anyway, here is a link to the review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT . Any local would have certainly recommended a dozen other decent area hotels for someone wanting to get a good night's rest on New Year's Eve.

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Jan 23, 2012 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
ORD-TGU's comment reminded me of my all-time favorite hotel review: the Sheraton in downtown Iowa City titled "Hell on Earth" (January 3, 2005) in Trip Advisor. This is the only downtown hotel in Iowa City, mind you, outside of the small secluded Iowa House on the UI campus. Iowa City is a college town where twenty and thirty-somethings from all over the state flock on New Year's Eve (along with many college kids returning for a "night of fun"). Many of those seeking a night of shenanigans choose the Sheraton for its convenience to 60+ restaurants and bars within a 1/4 mile. Anyway, here is a link to the review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT . Any local would have certainly recommended a dozen other decent area hotels for someone wanting to get a good night's rest on New Year's Eve.
What makes this even funnier is that the only time that I have been to Iowa City was on a college conference to this Sheraton! We drove from chicago, our college group was about 20 meeting another 500+ students, our university had given us a travel voucher and we jammed 4 people per room (per the front desk's policy for this event to be able to host 500 kids). Apparently all 500+ kids plus speakers were in this hotel, it was chaos, an animal house kind of stay, lobby jammed pack at 2am including 3am fire alarm pulls (which everybody ignored, even the fire department), TP of elevator...Back then I was not a Flyertalker, else I should have asked for compensation for the fire alarm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.