Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Combining Reward Stay with a Paid Stay: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 27, 00, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

I have a two-night award stay booked at a premium property followed by a one-night paid stay at the same property. My question is whether I should get credit for the one-night stay. I'm not so much worried about the points for $$$ spent as I want credit for a stay added to my total stays this quarter. Although, points for $$$ spent during the stay is a good question also, because we will likely have breakfast in the hotel throughout the four days and will definitely drink in the bar. I will use my Hilton Optima, so I will get those points, but what about stay points?
I hope this makes sense, and I apologize if this has been covered before but I did do a search and could not come up with anything.
Old Aug 27, 00, 6:16 pm
Original Member

I don't know the answer, but those are some of the most interesting questions I've seen on FlyerTalk in a while!
Old Aug 27, 00, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Incidental money spent while on a reward stay (Food, etc. charged to the room) is credited as HHonors points at the rate per your status. It is rarely credited automatically, but I have had it added every time I called/faxed in asking for it. The reward stay is not counted as a "stay" (which is something I've sought as an HHonors improvement for years) but any additional hours or nights you have to pay for are credited as a "stay". Again, do not expect this to post automatically, but rather save your folio, and call/fax after a a month passes if it has not been posted.

All of the above from personal experience.
Old Aug 27, 00, 8:45 pm

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
I stayed at the Conrad Int't in LGW March 00 on a 3 night Premium award. I spent $450 on incidentals and received 4,500 HH points plus my stay credit increased by one. I didn't pay for any of the nights so it may have been a computer glitch but it all posted 2 days after check out.
Old Aug 28, 00, 11:41 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their responses. I should have known this. As I suspected it looks like it is likely that I will have to go after the credit (and maybe points) myself. In my mind, I am at the very least entitled to a credit for the one-night paid stay there. I don't want to be too hard on HH as I have been fairly satisfied with their past service. We'll see what happens, and I will follow-up in a month or so as to what happens if anyone would be interested.
Old Aug 30, 00, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I have done the same thing (three nights free, one paid). You'll get credited for the stay as well as points for the money you spend.
Old Aug 30, 00, 11:46 am
Original Member

Also, I have successfully bought 1 night and used an award for 2 nights in the same visit. However, I was sure to schedule the purchased night first, because it was a better quality room than what was available in the award inventory.

When I checked in, I notified them of the additional award, and kept the same (better) room for the whole stay.
Old Aug 30, 00, 3:14 pm

Somewhat related question:
Do you get credit for stays when you use a 50% UA hotel cert (or AA's 2 for 1)?

I know that Starwood credits this this kind of stay. What about Hilton?
Old Aug 30, 00, 6:13 pm

Good point, Tino. I should have mentioned that too.

As far as points for the UA certificate, my experience (not recent) is no.
Old Sep 3, 00, 7:01 pm
Original Member

I had a Marriott stay quite a few years ago that was on a multi-night free award stay on a CO certificate at the SFO Airport Marriott. I made the reservation as a free stay, gave them the cert. on check-in, but then received a rather huge bill under the door on check-out day. They finally managed to take care of it and zero out the bill for me. But I wound up getting Marriott credit for the entire original bill of close to $1000 for the stay and credit for the 4 or 5 nights of the stay..

I have never used a Hilton award, but on a UA 50% off certificate, I didn't even get credit for the meals I charged at the Woodbridge NJ Hilton, much less the $70 or so room rate. But at another Hilton I used an identical UA 50% off certificate, I did get full HHonors credit on the reduced room rate and the usual 500 mile UA credit..
Old Mar 1, 01, 2:25 pm

award / paid stay combo's

Regarding these 50,000 point bonuses, I'm planning a 7 night vacation.

If I were to pay for the first night then use a 6 night award to pay for the rest, would that qualify as a stay for the purposes of the 5/10/10/25k bonus?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 01, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I stayed at the Paris Hilton with a 2 night award and one night paid. I made different reservations for both but advised the hotel of this so we could stay in the same room all three nights. No problem with either the same room or receiving stay/points/miles/bonus.
Old Mar 1, 01, 3:12 pm

I stayed at the New York Hilton using the two free weekend nights award and paid for a Monday night. Yes, make separate reservations and inform the hotel of what you are doing beforehand so you won't have to go through the hassle of changing rooms.

The paid night was considered a one-night stay with points and bonuses, and credited as a stay for purposes of VIP qualification and a promotion.
Old Mar 1, 01, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond
I stayed at the Hong Kong Conrad last month for 3 nights--two nights paid and one comp and received full credit for the stay. I did it all in one reservation through the 800 number just to make sure it was understood.

I had no problem at the hotel. The girl at the registration counter was aware of the split and even mentioned it to me. Too bad they don't upgrade Gold level anymore at the HK Conrad. That would have made it a really nice stay.

Chris
Old Mar 1, 01, 10:12 pm

You can do it all in one reservation. I have done it before and am doing it again at the Paris Hilton in April. It will be one stay and everything you spend goes toward the total number of points. I can't imagine them asking you to change rooms UNLESS you made two separate reservations and they didn't realize you were the same person having made both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.