Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking Reservations via Telephone versus Hilton On-line Internet Web Site

Booking Reservations via Telephone versus Hilton On-line Internet Web Site

Old Aug 22, 2002, 1:27 pm

I've called the hotel during regular daytime hours. I know not to ask for reservations but "front desk." When I ask about a room for that night, usually without asking I get put through to some off site res center.

Where it gets really interesting is if the offsite center is handling more than one brand--usually competing brands. These hotels may be owned by the same company.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:12 pm

My expereince is that special rate plan code rooms rarely show up on the listing online, but the agent can find and book it when I call. I rarely consider calling unless I'm already aware of the special rate code and can't find it through an on line search, as I usually shop for the best value I can find online. But got quite lucky just this past week when I wanted a particular hilton and decided to call because I wasn't thrilled with any of the online rates and ended up saving $33/nt. for a 2 night stay.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:17 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Just try calling Hilton SEA, 2 Hamptons and DoubleTree. All gave me rates of higher or same as what I was quoted on Hilton.com/hamptoninn.com.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Just try calling Hilton SEA, 2 Hamptons and DoubleTree. All gave me rates of higher or same as what I was quoted on Hilton.com/hamptoninn.com. </font>
Could that be because they know you?

( Sorry E! Could not resist! Just joking of course!)

SimonC

Old May 21, 2003, 8:19 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Using phone vs. website for reservations

Now that Hilton has stopped giving the online booking bonus, has anyone been calling in for reservations? It occured to me the other day when I had to call in to get a specific offer for a property I needed to book. If we all use the phones instead of online, what are the chances Hilton will restore the booking bonus if we tie up the phone systems and response times suffer? Thoughts?
Old May 21, 2003, 8:35 am

Don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. Two reasons:

1. Hiltons are moving (or have moved, I can't recall) to rules under which a HHonors member gets points only for a direct booking or a booking done through a very few select partners. If they already have you captive, why give you more points?

2. I don't think Hilton care about reponse times unless it gets to the point that there are a lot of hang-ups because of the lengthy wait times. And even then, I doubt it will make too much of a difference. I imagine they're ready to eat a certain number of hang-ups (presumed to equal lost bookings in only a certan percentage of cases) to balance out a smaller phone staff.
Old May 21, 2003, 12:59 pm

Although Hilton is not currently offering an online booking bonus, the few times I have first called to check prices without booking, then checked the rates online, I found there to be a savings of at least $10 online versus booking directly with Hilton.

Also lets not forget the double base bonus promotion for stays booked online and paid for with Visa from 6/ ~ 8/31. http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/visa2x/

That's reason enough for me to book all of my Hilton reservations online.

Old May 22, 2003, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kitty Hawk:

1. Hiltons are moving (or have moved, I can't recall) to rules under which a HHonors member gets points only for a direct booking or a booking done through a very few select partners. If they already have you captive, why give you more points?
</font>

What's the deal with this policy? I called HH today to find out if an Expedia rate I found at a Hampton qualified for points, and it didn't. The CSR said that no Expedia bookings will qualify for HH points.

With that policy, I might as well use Priceline and save even more money per night.
Old May 22, 2003, 5:26 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MilesMonster:

What's the deal with this policy? I called HH today to find out if an Expedia rate I found at a Hampton qualified for points, and it didn't. The CSR said that no Expedia bookings will qualify for HH points.

With that policy, I might as well use Priceline and save even more money per night.
</font>

Here is a thread concerning buying onExpedia.
Old May 23, 2003, 10:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The Policy:

Members of Hilton HHonors, one of the industry's leading guest loyalty programs, will receive Points & Miles(R) only when booking through designated distribution channels, which include Hilton Family proprietary websites, Hilton Reservations Worldwide call centers, Global Distribution Systems/travel agents, corporate travel planners and through hotels directly. The company noted that when combined with the pricing integrity standard, this will help ensure that the Hilton Family's most loyal customers will continue to favor the designated distribution channels. The company will be communicating to HHonors members the benefits of continuing to book through the company's designated distribution
channels.

The introduction of this strategy addresses the continuing impact of the Internet as a growing distribution channel. In 2002, Hilton
reported a more than 95 percent increase in total net and gross reservations on its proprietary brand websites over the previous
year. Online channels currently account for approximately 10 percent of the company's total bookings, with more than 75 percent
of that total coming from the company's brand websites.

Approximately 18 percent of all Hilton HHonors stays are presently booked through the company's brand websites. In mid-January,
Hilton set a single-day record of approximately $4.6 million of gross sales revenue from its brand sites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.