Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Los Angeles Airport {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Los Angeles Airport {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
LAX Hilton is a fairly decent hotel. That's our first choice when we need to overnight near LAX (and they have a rather good restaurant as well).
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
For most people this is a very convenient hotel which works, if you have a problem with your room, just ask to have it changed, they will if you ask.

RC
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
IME, the OP is being over dramatic. Booking through AMEX FHR is the best option when booking via AMEX. Lots of bennies when you use FHR.

I've got five or six stays there which were all very satisfactory. In one case, I showed up in the Exec Lounge where they fixed an accidentally canceled reservation during a sell out and gave me an Exec Room to boot at the conference rate I had booked months in advance.

I've stayed at many airport hotels and in the Hilton chain, despite being one of the largest airport hotels the LAX Hilton has always been a good stay. They even treated my rented BMW M5 properly

I've also stayed at the nearby LAX Westin which also gets high marks for an airport hotel. Given an equal rate,I'd take the Westin, but one over the other is not a big deal.

The shuttle bus situation is constrained by the fact that that is contracted via the LAX Airport, not the hotel and its never been ideal. Can't blame any hotel for this.

Memorable visits in Hilton airport hotels was Logan Boston Hilton, which was always a good visit. The other was meeting the GM in the lobby of the JFK Hilton who told me: "My job is to complain to the staff of behalf of the guests."

Last edited by ptownca; Aug 11, 2016 at 12:13 am Reason: clarity and grammer
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
My stays here have all been quite acceptable and unlike the review posted by andset191.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
I did a one-night stay here recently and thought it was a decent airport hotel. As a Gold at the time, I was upgraded to an Executive King and picked a room through OLCI on the 17th floor facing the northeast (towards downtown Los Angeles) which was pretty quiet even with LAX next door. There is no in-room mini-fridge.

They were doing some elevator work while I was there which caused the elevators to be quite slow.

The Executive Lounge can get pretty crowded during mealtimes and difficult to find a seat. Evening reception offerings included breaded shrimp, buffalo chicken bites (assorted, with bones), and the typical cheese, crackers, veggies, and dip. Evening dessert offerings limited solely to cookies. Breakfast featured scrambled eggs, sausages, and the typical continental breakfast offerings (breads, a couple of types of fruit, etc).

Airport shuttle bus runs every 15 minutes (or faster) and worked fine for me.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am rather annoyed by this hotel. With this singular exception, I have otherwise had a pleasant experience with Hilton properties from New York to Bangkok. I'm a fairly low-maintenance solo male late 20s traveler who is happy with a functional gym, a bed, and a breakfast of tea, eggs, and fruit. I don't attach much value to the decor/design (lucky as this property's rooms are a throwback) if the bed is comfortable (which it is). That said, I am seething today.

The breakfast arrangement made for a particularly miserable experience that hasn't been rivaled by anything since the zoo-meets-Lord-of-the-Flies cafeteria experience of being a schoolboy on Long Island.

I went to the exec lounge this morning at 8:30, and it seemed like everyone and their dog had access. Given that even the windowsills were occupied, I wasn't prepared to sit on the floor to eat breakfast at hotel where I paid $200 for a 13 hour stay. Even with the seats taken, I saw more people pouring in.

There was a lounge dragon/attendant seated by the entrance. I asked her if a diamond could take breakfast in the restaurant. After being told that it wouldn't be complementary, I blinked, turned around, and left. Blowing up at someone with no capacity to set hotel policy or provide service recovery is pointless.

I came back at 9, grabbed my food, stood around like a helpless jacka-- for several minutes, and saw a seat open up on the couch, where i sheepishly take a seat next to business traveler wrapping up his breakfast.

Some notes:

First: the lounge is small. I counted seating for perhaps 30-35 at optimal utilization. When you account for people wanting to read the paper, relax, or otherwise enjoy breakfast with more leisure than chomping down on drive-through on the way to work, and you can expect some (read: lots of) backup. Further, utilization will be sub optimal, eg a group of 3 at a table for 4 or a singleton at a table for two.

Second: the food was terrible. The scrambled eggs (not discernibly from actual eggs, like every other US Hilton) were adulterated with melted "plastic cheese." The sole other hot item was a tray of more-suited-for-a-pub-snack potato wedges. Not my idea of a breakfast. I opted for a bowl of fruit salad and two mini croissants. The croissants were acceptable, but the fruit salad was the worst I have had at a Hilton family property. I've had far fresher fruit at Hampton Inns in the rural US south. While I am accustomed to abbreviated EL breakfast offerings, this is the most miserly with one protein option.

Third: The deliberate overuse of the lounge is absolutely terrible. This is a direct screwing of premium customers (either paying extra dollars for EL access or Hilton elites). Beyond the farcical quality of attaching the appellation "Executive" to US lounges generally, this is clearly a cost control mechanism that is as egregiously transparent as it is shameful.

As a diamond, and more importantly, a paying customer, this is a slap in the face. I would have been better served at ANY Hampton Inn. I feel terrible for anyone who paid full freight Exec floor rates for that abysmal breakfast.

The singular bright side is being distracted from the middle ear/tonsil infection that I am battling.

Last edited by Amelorn; Jun 20, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
Its a good airport hotel, the underground parking garage is a bit tight, but in general a well managed efficient hotel.

RC
I really don't agree on much of what you said. It is a mediocre hotel, older, tired, grimy and most of the employees couldn't give a cr@p about customer service (An attitude prevelnet at a transitory airport hotel IMHO).... Finally, the parking fee per day is very high, I used to park next door at the multi-story garage for literally half the price. The Embassy suites on the other side of the airport is much better..... I've given up with this hotel. I used to stay 1-2 times per month but haven't visited for more than 18 months. Finally, staying on the 'wrong' side of the hotel will guarantee a completely sleepless nights, unless you like getting woken up every 3 minutes by a departing or landing airplane, it is very loud....
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The Seattle Hilton has a discreet policy (you have to be in the know or ask) of the full breakfast buffet with a co-pay ($10?) for Diamonds as an alternative.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I am rather annoyed by this hotel. With this singular exception, I have otherwise had a pleasant experience with Hilton properties from New York to Bangkok. I'm a fairly low-maintenance solo male late 20s traveler who is happy with a functional gym, a bed, and a breakfast of tea, eggs, and fruit. I don't attach much value to the decor/design (lucky as this property's rooms are a throwback) if the bed is comfortable (which it is). That said, I am seething today.

The breakfast arrangement made for a particularly miserable experience that hasn't been rivaled by anything since the zoo-meets-Lord-of-the-Flies cafeteria experience of being a schoolboy on Long Island.

I went to the exec lounge this morning at 8:30, and it seemed like everyone and their dog had access. Given that even the windowsills were occupied, I wasn't prepared to sit on the floor to eat breakfast at hotel where I paid $200 for a 13 hour stay. Even with the seats taken, I saw more people pouring in.

There was a lounge dragon/attendant seated by the entrance. I asked her if a diamond could take breakfast in the restaurant. After being told that it wouldn't be complementary, I blinked, turned around, and left. Blowing up at someone with no capacity to set hotel policy or provide service recovery is pointless.

I came back at 9, grabbed my food, stood around like a helpless jacka-- for several minutes, and saw a seat open up on the couch, where i sheepishly take a seat next to business traveler wrapping up his breakfast.

Some notes:

First: the lounge is small. I counted seating for perhaps 30-35 at optimal utilization. When you account for people wanting to read the paper, relax, or otherwise enjoy breakfast with more leisure than chomping down on drive-through on the way to work, and you can expect some (read: lots of) backup. Further, utilization will be sub optimal, eg a group of 3 at a table for 4 or a singleton at a table for two.

Second: the food was terrible. The scrambled eggs (not discernibly from actual eggs, like every other US Hilton) were adulterated with melted "plastic cheese." The sole other hot item was a tray of more-suited-for-a-pub-snack potato wedges. Not my idea of a breakfast. I opted for a bowl of fruit salad and two mini croissants. The croissants were acceptable, but the fruit salad was the worst I have had at a Hilton family property. I've had far fresher fruit at Hampton Inns in the rural US south. While I am accustomed to abbreviated EL breakfast offerings, this is the most miserly with one protein option.

Third: The deliberate overuse of the lounge is absolutely terrible. This is a direct screwing of premium customers (either paying extra dollars for EL access or Hilton elites). Beyond the farcical quality of attaching the appellation "Executive" to US lounges generally, this is clearly a cost control mechanism that is as egregiously transparent as it is shameful.

As a diamond, and more importantly, a paying customer, this is a slap in the face. I would have been better served at ANY Hampton Inn. I feel terrible for anyone who paid full freight Exec floor rates for that abysmal breakfast.

The singular bright side is being distracted from the middle ear/tonsil infection that I am battling.
I haven't stayed there in over a year but last time I complained about the lounge being a zoo I was told that they were going to either start giving diamonds a full breakfast or limit the lounge access to diamonds and give the gold's another breakfast option.

The problem with the lounge is they give ALL gold's access and the way Hilton gives out Gold's and over half the rooms could easily have gold's in them. I also hate the lounge access.

I would recommend complaining to the hotel and also blasting them in a TA review over the lounge policy. The lounge at Palmer house used to be a zoo and after enough complaints they finally stopped giving all gold's access.
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I know I have already commented on this, but I have to again. The speed at which the few modest evening appetizers are consumed at this EL my well be unrivaled. Within 5 minutes it looks like a pack of wolves came through.

I have an overnight stay at LAX in late October and think I may well go to the Doubletree LAX El Seguendo instead since the EL is not worth dealing with.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

I would recommend complaining to the hotel and also blasting them in a TA review over the lounge policy. The lounge at Palmer house used to be a zoo and after enough complaints they finally stopped giving all gold's access.
Complain to the hotel for sure and also Twitter. They coughed up some breakfast coupons when for full breakfast the last time I did that. I no longer stay there now though due to the issue.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I am seething today.

Blowing up at a low level employee is pointless, yes, but you could have requested to speak to the duty manager. The duty manager is empowered to grant you complimentary restaurant breakfast, and should be made aware of how dreadful the lounge experience was for you.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
Blowing up at a low level employee is pointless, yes, but you could have requested to speak to the duty manager. The duty manager is empowered to grant you complimentary restaurant breakfast, and should be made aware of how dreadful the lounge experience was for you.
The breakfast buffet at the restaurant is no better than the lounge at this property.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by anabolism
1) So it's on me to hound staff and ring around cajoling until I find one who is both A) empowered to do something and B) gives a damn?

Upon checkout, I was told that had I called down, I would have been offered the restaurant buffet at half price. That did me a lot of good - hours later.

It was immediately obvious upon reflection that management doesn't care and front line employees are coping idiosyncratically by apology (desk) or not giving a damn (EL agent).

I've long been of the mind that a property is defined by service recovery when the guest raises a problem. Example: a particularly impressive one was when the Doubletree SNA resolved a package billing issue (got a steal of a weekender package, but was charged for stuff a la carte at checkout) with their computer systems non-functional. And the DT SNA did it quickly.

Given, upon review of my bill, that I paid $185 + 12k points, I will send off an email to corporate and see if I can at least recover some of those points. I could have had a better breakfast (standing up) at a Penn Station Starbucks - my fruit at least would have been fresh.

As I stew on this (unusual for me), I am left to wonder how Hilton comes down so heavy handed on a Hampton that dares venture outside of enforced corporate conformity, yet this persists. And it apparently is nothing new by the testimony of my commiseraters here and posters on Tripadvisor.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Are there any LAX Hilton properties besides this one that have an exec lounge? I have a 10 am morning flight next month out of LAX and was going to head to the hotel about 4 that afternoon and use the pool and exec lounge and get a decent nights sleep before my flight and would like to have breakfast first. Sounds like the lounge is still a zoo based on this thread and recent TA reviews. If no lounges which LAX property has the best breakfast.

As far as the lounge issues I found out the email for their guest services person is [email protected] After I book my stay nextmonth I plan on emailing her complaining about the lounge and letting her know they lost a stay over it. Someone in my office had a similar complaint on a recent stay, there were so many people that she just grabbed a bagel and a coffee (after waiting a long time to get access to the espresso machine since they don't have a urn of coffee) and taking it back to her room. They wouldn't give her vouchers for breakfast either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.