Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, Hilton Diamond,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by DebBrown
First let me apologize for not using "search" but the term "bath" brings up many, many threads.

When I try to book an award stay for 3 adults in Bath online, the family room is not available. For a regular reservation, I pull the family room. However, the family descriptions states it is for 2 adults and 2 children. By calling HHonors, I was able to reserve this family room for my 3 adults at the same rate as a regular room. Am I likely to have any trouble here? I'm worried about the 3 adults vs 2 adults & 2 kids and also getting the large room at the cost of a regular room.

Thanks,
Deb
Listen, you may want to reconsider this hotel. I just got back from there on a paid stay and it's the worst Hilton I have stayed at. The walls are so thin that you can hear normal conversations in the next room as though they were standing right next to you, the noise from the pubs in the area is pretty bad and the beds are a punishment - lumpy, hard and old.

Look, with me it's not exactly the Princess and the Pea. I am famous (in a very small group) for sleeping anywhere but this hotel broke my streak. If you did go ahead, at least insist on a room facing the river, not the street.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:23 am

Thanks for the advice, xyzzy, and the warning, KMiami.

I may have to try the old fashion method of contacting the hotel with my questions.

KMiami, we will be in the UK for 14 days and the price of hotels - not to mention everything else! - is enough to make me take any free nights wherever I can. I will, however, watch for good deals as our trip dates get closer.

Deb
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you're traveling the UK and looking for inexpensive lodging you should consider the B&B option. There are a lot of them and they are often quite inexpensive.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
If you're traveling the UK and looking for inexpensive lodging you should consider the B&B option. There are a lot of them and they are often quite inexpensive.

I agree on the B&B, I was there back in October and found a close B&B that was half the price of the Hilton. The only issue is that they may not allow children.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Any more recent comments on the Hiltons in

Bath
Cardiff
Bristol

Am planning on seeing Stonehedge , etc
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by jan_az
Any more recent comments on the Hiltons in

Bath
Cardiff
Bristol

Am planning on seeing Stonehedge , etc
I'd opt for Cardiff - far nicer than the other two. Driving in Bath is very confusing, with its one-way system and the hotel is 'ordinary'. Bristol Hilton is not in the city centre and is also 'ordinary'. Cardiff has a lounge, is in the middle of the city and is very nice. Valet parking, if I remember rightly, so bear that in mind.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, KLM Gold, ex-BMI Gold, ex-AC Elite (...sad isn't it)
Thumbs down Hilton in Bath, UK - just terrible.

Hands down the worst Hilton I've been to. Ever.

In the past three months I've spent 20 days in Hiltons in Johannesburg, New York, and Amsterdam... and the Hilton in Bath wasn't even close. I can't think of another Hilton across the world that I've stayed in that is this poor (I'm hard pressed to think of another Marriott or Starwood property that is this bad).

The furnishing is about 50 years old (not antiques... think more rotting and dirty), the rooms are very poorly maintained / barely cleaned, no executive floor, a rather sad gym, inconsistent service, and a rate that's too high compared to what you can get across the rest of Bath.

At least the breakfast and the restaurant service are decent... and it's on the river in Bath (nice tourist location).

The management claimed to be working to upgrade the rooms, but I've seen no evidence of this. They at least replaced parts of my shower last week when I complained...

Am in Bath weekly for two more months and I won't be staying there as the past three weeks have been so poor. Got upgraded each week - I am scared to think of what a standard room looks like.

(The really sad thing is it's a Cat 5...)

Last edited by CdnUKPlat; Jan 21, 2007 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear about this, as an Elite member perhaps someone at Hilton International should be made aware of the conditions at thei property. Or do they really care? One would think because when I book a Marriott, Hilton or Starwood property, I'm expecting the property to meet a certain standard. If I want to book a No Name Motel then I have no expectations and I pretty much take what I get.

Shame on Hilton in Bath, UK!!!!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Hotels in the UK are a very, very poor value all the way around. I have paid $300 for the tiniest room imaginable with no amenties. Is it possible the Hilton was actually at the upper end of the UK scale?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I am not sure where you hail from Roger Lococco but the UK and Europe in general have different standards from US hotels when it comes to size. London is notorious for have just two types of rooms. Expensive and small and outrageously expensive and medium. I can' speak to the amenities, though.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:35 pm

hiltons uk

the standards of hiltons in the UK are wide and varied. Generally you can get a 5 star lavish property, but then find a 3 star property in the same group. I guess historically it is how hilton international rolled out it's standard in the UK unlike the standards in the US. You will find some hiltons resembling more of a travelodge/best western type feel than the hiltons many have been used to, yes with no exec floor, dated interiors, etc. Their prices are generally OK compared to similar UK properties (ie GBP60-70/night). I do understand that Hilton US which now owns hilton international, are slowly making changes to standardise hiltons in the UK like they've standardised the US. And also, they may roll out brands like hilton garden inn and hampton inn. Which unfortunately hilton international were not/did not roll out.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CO Silver, IC Plat, Marriott Silver
Sorry to hear about your experiences in Bath; I can only agree with the other posts (and my own - here) about UK Hiltons.

Being fair, it isn't just Hiltons - it's all of the major chains. In the big cities, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh - I suspect where the business travellers stay most often - the quality of hotels in general is better. But in the less popular destinations, your experience is the norm, I'm sorry to say.

I had a week at the Hilton, Portsmouth, UK earlier this month - no executive lounge and a very questionable level of service. I was booked on a bed & breakfast basis for five nights - when I went for breakfast on day #3, I wasn't on the list and on enquiring with the front desk, I'd been checked out! They did check me back in, since I pointed out that I was still there and showed my room key card as evidence of my original booking.

You wouldn't believe the hash made of the bill, however - and it took several phone calls to straighten out the payment and the points credit.

When I travel for business, I do try to stay in Hiltons, to accumulate the points but I'd never spend them (willingly) in the UK!! Looking forward to the next few weeks, at Hiltons in Houston, Omaha, New York and Cleveland ... roll on US customer service!!!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by UK2USFlier
Sorry to hear about your experiences in Bath; I can only agree with the other posts (and my own - here) about UK Hiltons.

Being fair, it isn't just Hiltons - it's all of the major chains. In the big cities, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh - I suspect where the business travellers stay most often - the quality of hotels in general is better. But in the less popular destinations, your experience is the norm, I'm sorry to say.
I'm sorry to say that I fully agree with you.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: Plat Royal Ambassador/HH Gold/MR Silver/Meli MAS/Ivory Flying Blue/Basic Eurobonus/Avis Preferred
Yes I concur. This is a dreadful property. Stayed there 3 years ago and it already looked dilapidated. I can imagine how it looks now. They rely a lot on toerists who think they will stay in a nice Hilton. Obviously they will never return but hey plenty more innocent toerists.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, PC RA, Hyatt GP Diamond, GoldPoints Gold
the worst treatment I have received as a HH Diamond. On top I had to argue to get an upgrade to a room a long walk away from the lift. Breakfast was shocking and on top I had problems getting a parking space. A shame, because location is good and this could potentially be a great little luxury Hotel in Bath.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.