Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:03 pm

Anyone been recently who can report on the "renovations" going on at this property?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold, UA Silver, SW, Frontier
Thumbs up

I stayed at Squaw Peak with my husband and son over Valentine's Day. We didn't see any signs of "renovation" going on. The property was clean and neat and the staff very friendly and helpful. My son went to the Coyote Camp and loved it. The pools are all up and running with no work and the restaurants were all in good shape. We stayed in a casita, having been upgraded at checkin. The casitas are great and as previously mentioned definitely worth the extra money if you can't get upgraded. The regular rooms didn't look nearly as nice.

I recommend this property. We will be making future stays here because we felt the property was nice and it was easy to get to. Nice property for those with a family.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Trip report 9 nights 5th -14th Sep

Hi,

We had booked two rooms for my parents and I ( I have the diamond Card) for 9 nights from 5th to 14th sept after spending a week ant the JW Marriott starr pass in Tucson.

We arrived at about 3pm on the 5th and were checked in straight away.

No upgrades were given but I got breakfast certifcartes for my room ( 18 in total for the nine days) and were given rooms 2432 and 2433 in the south Pointe Building.

The lift at the end of the building seemed to be out of order for most of the stay but the centre elevator ( the airconditioned one worked ok)

The suites were nice ( if a bit small after the large rooms at the marriott) but were perfectly fine and quiet inside and we had nice views over the roof tops across the inner courtyard towards the Dreamy Draw park mountains.

Friday/Saturday/Sunday was very busy at the hotel with lots of families and the hotel environment was busy at night with a bit of shouting with teenagers around ( ie pools were busy with queues for the water slide) but during the week the pools were practically empty ( no waits at the water slide, lazy river beautiful and quiet) and the bar at the pool was closed but the staff went up to the Hole in the Wall ranch for any drinks.

The pool area was beautiful and the lazy river great as it ran through tombstone.

We had the breakfast buffet at La Cantina once ( coupons are worth $9.50 c) but found the service slow.

For the rest of the time we used the coupons at the hole in the wall ( indoors) for the Bounceback breakfast ( bacon, choice of eggs, sausage) and potatoes but these could be swapped for a fruit plate.

A turndown service was offered every night.

The fitness centre in the spa was excellent with its own pool and the locker rooms had ice cold towels.

The concierge was very good and booked me an air trip to the grand canyon.

There is a Walgreens about 15mins walk down 16th street at the corner of 16th and Glendale and a Bank of America just across the road from the hotel.

Late check out to 3pm on Sunday 14th was offered and taken for $35.

Overall a very good stay.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Continuing the necroposting to update this old thread...

I just got back from this property - good place, although you'd better understand it's a family/kid place. Then again, if you booked a stay at a place that promoted its waterslide, lazy river, and "coyote kidz club" you probably already figured it was a family resort...

Fun time. Breakfast situation was a little chaotic at the place by the waterpark, so ate at restaurant up front / street side - WAY better, buffet there was high quality.

Got breakfast vouchers for HHONORS recognition, did not get bumped to better room - was angling for casita, but it was crowded, so understandable. Still, I'll have to go back because the casitas look fun.

Rooms a little smallish. Compound a little hard to find one's way around in. Lots of pools, some giant hot tubs. Free mini golf is always a plus in a hotel.
Close to some great easy hiking in the foothills a short drive down the street. Awesome to have that there, got in a hike every morning. Since I was doing a family+biz two for one trip, I drove down and did touristy indoor skydiving north of Tucson (fun), visited that little wild west thing south of PHX (not really worth it/tourist trap), and for no apparent reason detoured into the IKEA on our way back.

I also stayed a couple nights at the Embassy Suites PHX on Thomas/24th - older property, but the guy that does the omelettes there just simply rocks them -- GREAT attitude from the breakfast staff is enough to keep me coming back to this ES even though it has older "character"
Decent sized rooms (although some are a bit musty), and easy in and out around PHX area. Good staff.

FTD
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
We just completed a weekend stay at the Squaw Peak Resort. Check in was quick, we were upgraded to an ambassador suite and early check in 9:00am (both of these may not be typical as it was a bit slow for Halloween). Received Breakfast Certs for Starbucks (or could apply 8.50 towards any breakfast at the restaurant).

The property is a little dated but they are in the middle of a renovation (which did not affect us at all).

What really stood out here was the consistent good service. From housekeeping to ground crew, to bar staff to front desk. All pleasant and helpful. I would give kudos to the management for this consistency.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:03 am

Stayed there Halloween night. Just drove up for a party in Scottsdale and thought I would try the Squaw Peak Resort ($100.20 including all on the Visa 25% discount) Upgraded to Casita. Breakfast Certificates good at the Gift Shop or could be used at Hole in The Wall plus $7.00 for full buffet breakfast. Better half wanted to sleep in, so I got a couple of danish and juice at the Gift Shop and brought them back.

The resort is a little dated but would be really good for families. The casitas have a couple of weird design quirks. (narrow and steep stairs. the bathroom window looks out over the deck of the adjacent casita. Too many speed bumps on the road into the casitas)

Will probably stay here next time over the Scottsdale Hilton resort. But will probably try Tapatio Cliffs next time.

And the staff were absolutely amazing. They should give lessons on Customer Service to other resorts.

Desk asked if we wanted a property tour. Bell men offered good directions and were not pushy. Loved the resort.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mapsmith
Stayed there Halloween night. Just drove up for a party in Scottsdale and thought I would try the Squaw Peak Resort ($100.20 including all on the Visa 25% discount) Upgraded to Casita. Breakfast Certificates good at the Gift Shop or could be used at Hole in The Wall plus $7.00 for full buffet breakfast. Better half wanted to sleep in, so I got a couple of danish and juice at the Gift Shop and brought them back.

The resort is a little dated but would be really good for families. The casitas have a couple of weird design quirks. (narrow and steep stairs. the bathroom window looks out over the deck of the adjacent casita. Too many speed bumps on the road into the casitas)

Will probably stay here next time over the Scottsdale Hilton resort. But will probably try Tapatio Cliffs next time.

I absolutely agree with your assessment. I personally prefer Tapatio Cliffs (especially as the breakfast is included at the restaurant) and it's a newer place. Also, they were renovating Squaw Peak in 2006 and it was an inconvienence then and it's one now.

I had a bad stay at the Scottsdale Hilton and would reccomend avoiding it.
And the staff were absolutely amazing. They should give lessons on Customer Service to other resorts.

Desk asked if we wanted a property tour. Bell men offered good directions and were not pushy. Loved the resort.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed here recently? I am suppose to take the family with me next week to Spring training.

Thanks
Troy
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:53 pm

I stayed here (me, wife, 11 yr old daughter) for 4 nights the last week of Feb. First time to the property and we liked it. I'm gold, got upgraded without asking to a one bedroom, 1.5 bath casita. The room was in pretty good shape. The property & landscaping looked good - they had a very hard freeze a couple of weeks before and the tops of the canopies on a number of trees were dying off, but it was fine. As gold, got two breakfast coupons per day good for continental breakfast at the starbucks in the lobby, or something like $10 per coupon off for the buffet at Rico's or a similar discount for breakfast at Hole in the Wall. Free wireless in the room (not sure if all rooms are wireless). They said it had been crowded over President's day weekend, but we were there during the week (Tue-Sat) and it wasn't crowded at all. We didn't go to the spa/fitness center, but confirmed that Gold gave us free access. Lots of room by the pools. The weather was a bit cool (high of ~70), but the pools were heated and not too bad. The trip would have been more enjoyable if the weather was five degrees warmer, but we had a good time and enjoyed the property. We didn't get out around town much - just did the resort thing for three full days. With only two restaurant choices, we'd have gone offsite for more meal options after three days. Also, asked and received late checkout (4:00 p.m.). Hope you have a good trip, and let me know if you've got questions.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Lots of room by the pools. The weather was a bit cool (high of ~70), but the pools were heated and not too bad.
Thanks, glad to hear about the heated pools, I know this weekend it will start cooling off.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by troyintn
Has anyone stayed here recently?

***As I posted earlier in this thread, really enjoyed it (and, as promised, came back). The most recent time I stayed there (October '10), I was Diamond-upgraded to a casita, which was really nice - Mrs. Deathmerchant and I had our own upstairs room with a sundeck, and the little Deathmerchants had a pull out sleeper downstairs with their own tv, table, and kitchenette. The whole property is a little older, but very nice grounds and the pool area of course is the centerpiece. My kids are 9 and 12 and spent pretty much the whole day under the waterfall, on the waterslide, and in the lazy river. The updated restaurant out front has a good breakfast buffet that you can use your certificates on (Gold and Diamond and packages).

Highly recommended over the Tapatia property - that place is just too old and creaky, although the actual surrounding area/grounds is prettier there.

TDM
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Am at Squaw Peak now, first time since 2007. As diamond, am in an upgraded Ambassador Suite basically a double suite (about twice the size of a regular suite) with a conference room table and 6 upholstered chairs, two couches, two bathrooms, two 42 inch flat screen TVs and an amazing amount of room. Was a little disappointed not to be upgraded to a casita which i have been upgraded to several times previously but my wife and I decided there is plenty of room in the ambassador suite, even if the balcony pales in comparison to the casita balconies. The hotel is sold out, however as it is Cactus League spring training and spring break for many colleges. Talked to some folks who tried to extend their stay and were told no rooms were available.

Rico's American grille has replaced the Lantana. You can use your breakfast cert for $12.33 off the menu. Buffet is $18.50 but reduced to $7 with the cert. Or you get any three items at the Starbucks in the lobby, choosing from bagels, muffins, donuts, cinnamon rolls, water, juice, coffee, cereal, fruit, etc. Actually looks decent although we ate at Rico's this morning. $7 for two off the menu plus tip after the certs were applied. Talked to the hostess at Lantana who told me 2009 was brutal with sometimes 4 tables served in a night, so they closed Lantana for 10 months and remodeled into Rico's american with a western mining theme and did the bar and outdoor seatring areas over too. Have not been to Hole in the Wall yet.

Very crowded at the pool but there are plenty of options. As always, if one is bothered by kids, Squaw Peak is not the place for you. And while I cannot tell for sure, there seems to have been quite a few renovations done over the past four years. The carpets do not look so bare and there is much less chipping paint. Very relaxing.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:17 am

We're thinking of going in mid september this year. Never been to Phoenix before any views on a) what's the weather typically like then, and b) is it a busy time of year at resorts (US school holidays or the like)? Going with a 20 month old who loves pools - but preferably at least one that's suitable for his age. Welcome views. TIA.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Popester
We're thinking of going in mid september this year. Never been to Phoenix before any views on a) what's the weather typically like then, and b) is it a busy time of year at resorts (US school holidays or the like)? Going with a 20 month old who loves pools - but preferably at least one that's suitable for his age. Welcome views. TIA.
A. In September it's still hot. Especially towards the beginning of the month temperatures will routinely top 100 degrees. Towards the end of the month it starts getting a little more pleasant.

B. This is not a busy time for Phoenix, the snowbirds don't start returning until around October. However, school will be back in session so Tempe will be crowded with the Arizona State kids.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:40 pm

Thanks CM for the reply, appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.