FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   GALLERYone - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/129419-galleryone-doubletree-suites-hilton-hotel-us-fl.html)

mach92 Apr 18, 2003 1:02 pm

GALLERYone - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel {US-FL}

Did a search for any comments cant find any. Thinking of 4 nights overs memorial day weekend. Diamond status using points. Anyone stayed here?? Looks close to the beach and easy to get to. Thanks

Tolarian Wind Apr 18, 2003 1:51 pm

This hotel used to be a Guest Quarters. It is next door to the Galeria Mall. You must walk over a large drawbridge to get to the beach.

The hotel is getting a bit on the tired side in the public areas. I have not seen the guest rooms.

There is another DoubleTree further south at about A1A and Las Olas Blvd, right on the strip. This hotel is across the street from the beach. It has limited public space and I have never see the rooms there.

If I was planning on a Beach weekend I would take the one at Las Olas. If you want some shopping, etc, then the one you asked about would be fine

TW

Humaniod Apr 18, 2003 1:51 pm

I have stayed at this hotel before. It is an all-suite hotel, although some rooms are nicer than others. I think you want an 01 room, near the curve with a balcony. Very nice view of inter-coastal and you can see the ocean. The hotel has a nice pool area and a little "beach" next to the inter-coastal. While in FLL if you like bargain hunting go to the Swap Shop flea market on Sunrise and Sawgrass Mills outlet center. Great buys at both places, especially on perfume and cologne at the Swap Shop! I hope you enjoy your stay.

ejmelton Apr 18, 2003 2:11 pm

My wife, son and I stayed at this DoubletTree last month (on points). We're just "Blue" so we got cookies at check-in.

As noted above, the property is a little worn (ie,the kitchen cabinets were broken and the microwave didn't work). The eating area in our room was squeezed into a triangular corner, pretty useless. Like many of these "suite" properties, you have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Dinnerware was minimal, although we did get one pot! You have to park in their garage (for a fee) and it is a walk to the beach.

At the same time, it is in a very convenient location, had plenty of room for the three of us and since we only used the kitchen to store soft drinks and warm up leftovers it turned out well. We did not have a balcony (just a sliding door that opened up to the intracoastal), but did have a nice view of the ocean and the boat traffic.

We decided that we would be happy coming back here again, for short (two or three day) stays.

I would suggest a higher floor (for a less obstructed view) and request a balcony (with southern exposure).

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by ejmelton (edited 04-18-2003).]

mach92 Apr 18, 2003 4:37 pm

Thanks for the information!!!

kymbakitty Apr 19, 2003 8:15 am

We stayed there last year for a pre-cruise night.

I don't know about today (although I doubt it is any different), but it was filthy. My husband and I said we would never stay there again. The carpets will filthy...just about everywhere. The service was minimal. We had a LOT of bags and they forgot to tell us that the porters went home at 5:00. And I mean a LOT of bags (two week cruise w/tuxes and gowns, way too many shoes, etc.). Same thing in the a.m. We had to lug this all back out as well. They were suppose to have a taxi waiting for us--didn't happen. It was NOT a good visit to that Double Tree and I believe there is a nearby Embassy that I would chose instead. I thought the pool area was dinky and very plain...given that the hotel is in FLORIDA!

What I remember most though is how dirty the place was...the ONLY good thing was being able to catch the intercoastal boat from behind the hotel. But not worth the "cost" of everything else.

Dawn

FFSaver Apr 22, 2003 1:05 pm

We stayed at the Fort Lauderdale Doubletree -Galleria for one-night during Easter.

Positive points:
· Got a corner suite with separate living-room and bedroom. The room even had a small kitchen with complete stove, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave… but we didn’t even touch any of these appliances… we were on VACATION!!!!
· We got 2 bottles of water and 4 pieces of chocolate delivered to room as an appreciation of being HHonors member (maybe only for Gold? I don’t know)

Negative points
· The hotel is starting to show its age, ie. a lot of the lights in the elevator button were burnt on all 3 elevators.
· Walls are made of paper… we could hear EVERYTHING, both from the street and from adjacent rooms. There is a steel-bridge next to hotel and it makes a lot of noise when cars pass over it. The water pipes makes a lot of noise, too.
· Breakfast coupons were only given when we “reminded” the rep that we are Gold members. We only got coupons for the continental breakfast buffet, which was pathetic. They will charge more for the hot buffet which has like 3-4 more choices.
· It seems like the hotel has had break-ins before because the door to our room had the marks of someone trying to break-in. The hotel has re-enforced all doors with a piece of steel. But just the thoughts! What is the security like then?
· Even self-parking will cost you $9 overnight!

dweebe Apr 22, 2003 3:38 pm

The Galleria mall is being renovated right now. If you or your significant other is wanting to do some shopping there: skip it.

isogyre Apr 27, 2003 2:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FFSaver:
It seems like the hotel has had break-ins before because the door to our room had the marks of someone trying to break-in. The hotel has re-enforced all doors with a piece of steel. But just the thoughts! What is the security like then?
</font>
The marks are probably there because it is so difficult to open the doors!

Here is what I posted about this property in January:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I stayed there a couple weeks ago (weekend). It is a bit run-down and has a 1970's feel to it. It was overrun with tourists. Excellent location, right on the water, 1/2 mile walk to the beach. There is a water taxi stop on the dock out back. They have an outdoor pool, lounge area, and white sand "beach". Was not offered breakfast coupons or upgraded (I am HH Gold). The bar did not have tonic water or Coke. There was something wrong with the lock on the door to my room - it took several trips back to the front desk (very slow elevators) to re-program the key (none of which seemed to make a difference) and I had to literally kick the door to open it for the rest of my stay. Room service did not bring Tabasco sauce. They charge you to park, whether valet or self-parking. I did get a warm bottle of water and a form letter welcoming me as a HHonors member. If you don't have high expectations and you can get an eastward-facing room, you'll probably be OK. It was quiet and the rooms were comfortable. </font>

cndij Apr 27, 2003 5:13 pm

There is a wide range of room types in this hotel as we accidentally found out. The first one we were assigned was very nice, large and well kept, unfortunately, someone's luggage was still in the room. When we called to report that, they re-assigned us to a room that was literally half the size of the first one, with the living room area about the size of a hallway, the sofa was almost up against the window. You could not extend your legs without your feet hitting the window (and I am short)This room was also run down and had the extremely cramped kitchen area described above. Went back down and demanded a better room, and this time got one on the end of the hotel facing the waterway and drawbridge and much closer to the first one. Just be aware and if you get a bad one, demand something better. And unless you want to carry your stuff 15 minutes up and across the drawbridge or over to the beach, drive to the beach and park on the street over there. Or if possible, try to get the Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach, a much better option and right on the beach.

LemonThrower Apr 27, 2003 6:13 pm

The Galleria Mall used to be nice.

Las Olas is a good location--nice street with cafes, etc.

thebordcu Feb 25, 2005 4:53 pm

Doubletree Guest Suites Ft. Lauderdale Hotel Galleria

I was wondering if anyone has any experience at the Doubletree Guest Suites Ft. Lauderdale Hotel Galleria. I am HH Diamond and am planning to stay for 4 nights on points (or at another Hilton property in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area).
What are the Diamond amenities at this hotel and chances of being upgraded. Or if anyone else has recommendations on other hotels at or near the ocean in this area please share.

AmericanFtWorthTX Feb 25, 2005 11:00 pm

As a silver, last year I got an upgrade to a waterway view room and you could see the Atlantic. Kids liked the pool (seen on hotel home page). Waterway bus stops at the hotel. There is charge for parking your car. Hotel is next to a waterway road bridge and is two blocks from the beach. There some restaurants and grocery store and starbucks within walking distance.

FFSaver Feb 26, 2005 8:56 am

I stayed there a couple of years ago as a Gold HH and got breakfast coupons, and a box of chocolate brought to the room. The rooms are quite big, but on the "older" side. If I remember correctly, it's located next to a big shopping mall.

enjoy your stay :)

asandrs Feb 26, 2005 4:35 pm

but its currently in a renovation stage to .......

a condo hotel - see

http://www.galleryonefla.com/

expect some construction !

Amdy.