Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Need Help Achieving or Maintaining Hilton Honors VIP Status — The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help Achieving or Maintaining Hilton Honors VIP Status — The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I came up short on the number of stays needed to maintain gold in 2002. I had to take some time off in the middle of the year for a little surgery. Now, I need a way to maintain my gold status past April 03.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:38 pm

First of all, wait till your current status expires (April 2003). It's possible that HH will extend it gratis (this is known to happen somewhat routinely, although not guaranteed by any means). If not, do a quick search in this forum, and you will undoubtedly find several posts with promo codes giving you free Gold status.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Hilton HHonors “Mattress Run” Information: The Definitive Thread

Is there a good web site to research room rates for a mattress run? The "flexible dates" option for airfares on the major sites (Orbitz et al.) isn't available for hotel bookings. The Hilton site shows specials and promotions, but there doesn't seem to be a way to search for dates when rates are at their lowest (e.g., rate reductions during periods of low demand).

It sounds like Roomsaver is a good bet, and I've seen AAA rates locally that approach the $50 mark. Are rooms generally cheaper during Point Stretcher dates? Do you get stay credit when you get charged for a no-show on a guaranteed reservation? Am I asking too many questions? Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:39 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Why RUN AT ALL if JUST points are the issue?

Just book it and do the 'no show' thing. Trick is to find the cheapest properties.... i.e. Niagra Falls Hampton Inn North... or the Hiltons in Borneo Malaysia.... both as low as $29 or so.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
[B]Why RUN AT ALL if JUST points are the issue?</font>
I'm interested in the stays for status, not points. Besides, $29 seems expensive for that few points. Or am I missing something here?

[Edited because I can't type. Or spell.]

[This message has been edited by ABQ Jon (edited 04-04-2003).]
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
The reason that people may want to do a mattress run may be to either retain their status or get to the next tier. That's why they are looking for the lowest rate. I don't know the answer yet to the question of if you get "stay" status for no shows. I do know you can get some really cheap rates overseas for like $20-30 a night.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ABQ Jon:
I'm interested in the stays for status, not points. Besides, $29 seems expensive for that few points. Or am I missing something here?

[Edited because I can't type. Or spell.]

[This message has been edited by ABQ Jon (edited 04-04-2003).]
</font>
If you're looking for stays not points, why would $29 concern you? $29 for a night's stay is cheap regardless of how you look at it. Were you hoping to find something less than 29.00 or something more expensive? Your second post seems confusing.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:37 am

I'm confused. If you are a no-show

Do you get Points?

Do you get stay credit?

KT
Old Apr 5, 2003, 9:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dingo:
If you're looking for stays not points, why would $29 concern you? $29 for a night's stay is cheap regardless of how you look at it. Were you hoping to find something less than 29.00 or something more expensive? Your second post seems confusing.</font>
tvl4free had asked why I would run if points were the issue. I responded that I'm interested in stay credit rather than points. I had asked in the initial post whether a no-show would result in a stay credit. If it wouldn't, then $29 is a tremendously expensive price for 290 points. Hope that clears things up a bit for you.

If it's the case that no-shows get stay credit, then I would be happy to shell out $29 (or even $30 ) for a series of no-shows in inexpensive Hiltons all over the world. Otherwise I'm looking at $49/night at the local Hampton.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:03 pm

You might want to run through the old posts last summer/fall on the CNTU promotion (4 stays 50,000 points). I remember this question coming up a number of times although I'm not sure if there was a clear answer.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:35 am

Thanks nindobe, I found those posts and they were pretty helpful.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Once (blush) I unintentionally did not show at an expensive Hilton.

I got charged for one night, and got points and stay credit. Was unable to get the charge reversed.

But watch out, they just might waive the charge out of courtesy!
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:22 am

Need One More Stay

I need one more stay for Gold Status. I have booked, two different times, nights at hotels only to have the hotels not charge me - because I did not show. Anyone have any suggestions, please. Thank you. Terrapin.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:28 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Pick the closest lowest price Hilton to your house, book a room, drive by, check in, go to the room, leave the key there and go home.

That will count as a stay, you can mess up the bed you think it will help.

I've got two hiltons chain hotels within two miles of the house, if I ever needed one last stay that's what I would do.

If they ask, though they won't, tell them you are getting your floors done, it's the wife's night with the girls, whatever.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Terrapin:
I have booked, two different times, nights at hotels only to have the hotels not charge me - because I did not show.</font>
No charge for no show? Is that usual?
If you do not check-in, even if you do not cancel, it will not count as a stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.