Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial Hilton Honors “Newbie” Questions and Comments Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Unofficial Hilton Honors “Newbie” Questions and Comments Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
I'm a complete newbie (my first stay is in a few days). I have gold status from a credit card, and am about to make my first stay in San Diego this week. About a month ago I booked a "King Suite", and got an email confirm which listed that as the room type. However, when I view my reservation online today, the room description says "Presidential Suite".

Is this a glitch, or did they perhaps upgrade me in advance? I'm a hyatt diamond member and almost never get upgraded (and if I do, its only upon checking in, never in advance).
This is usually how upgrades appear. My experience is it normally only happens on the morning of check-in, but occasionally does go through a few days in advance.

I've also had one stay where I was upgraded three levels in two separate steps (queen guest room to queen deluxe and then to king executive, missing out queen deluxe plus).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Yeah stifle is right......my upgrades appear usually the morning of check in or the afternoon/eve before.......I find myself checking my account every couple of hours on the night before travel like an excited schoolboy.......bit sad really but such fun!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, its in the View/Edit section, under 'Room and Plan selection'. There is also an additional link near the bottom that says 'room details', and that opens into a presidential suite description with pictures, etc.

As the other poster (quite wisely) said, I'm not going to count on it; but it did seem odd to me. I will report back in a few days...
Hopefully you do score the presidential suite. I have a feeling its in the books.^
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Yes, its in the View/Edit section, under 'Room and Plan selection'. There is also an additional link near the bottom that says 'room details', and that opens into a presidential suite description with pictures, etc.

As the other poster (quite wisely) said, I'm not going to count on it; but it did seem odd to me. I will report back in a few days...
As a follow up, I was in fact given the Presidential suite upon check in. The agent said "I see you booked a Studio King suite, and its our pleasure to give you a complementary upgrade to the Presidential Suite". I didn't ask why, but it clearly was not a glitch, given she acknowledged the suite type that I had booked.

It will likely never happen again, but it was a great stay none the less...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:50 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the reply. I have never known where people see what room they are in
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:20 pm

I want to use my hilton points to book my brother a point & cash stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. Do I just make the reservation the normal way (under my name, and add him as additional guest) but he would be the one checking in as I am not traveling there? or any other way? I currently have 76,000 points, enough for two nights poings & cash (32000 points plus 14800 yen) or can buy additional points for one free night at 80K points. Cheapest non refundable rate is at 44000 yen. Any suggestions as to the easiest way for him to stay there with the help of my points? I am a Gold member. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Reward reservations where the member is not travelling need to be made via phone and cannot be done online.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:09 am

Hi! Newbie question here:

Is it possible to use MVP discount code while using Accenture's Gold Status fast track? Or am I forced to use either [MVP fast track Gold Status & MVP code] -or- [Accenture Fast Track & Accenture code]?

The benefit out of this combination is the discount & automatic silver status.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rate plan you use for stays does not normally affect whether they qualify for any fast-tracks. I cannot answer your particular question specifically, but I have myself twice used gold fast tracks successfully with some, but not all, of the stays on the indicated rate plan.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:02 pm

Thanks Stifle!
Old May 5, 2014, 9:51 am

Hi folks,

Since this this a newbie question, I figured this would be the correct thread to post in. I couldn't find the answers in other threads.

I am HHonors Gold (through the credit card), and my wife has zero status. She's going on a weekend trip, and I will not be joining her. If I prepay the room on my Hilton credit card:
1. Will she get status benefits (possible room upgrades, free wifi, etc?)
2. Will I get HHonors points for the stay?
3. Will she even be allowed to use the reservation if I am not there? I can give her the credit card, if necessary.

Thanks very much for the help!
Old May 5, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Hi folks,

Since this this a newbie question, I figured this would be the correct thread to post in. I couldn't find the answers in other threads.

I am HHonors Gold (through the credit card), and my wife has zero status. She's going on a weekend trip, and I will not be joining her. If I prepay the room on my Hilton credit card:
1. Will she get status benefits (possible room upgrades, free wifi, etc?)
2. Will I get HHonors points for the stay?
3. Will she even be allowed to use the reservation if I am not there? I can give her the credit card, if necessary.

Thanks very much for the help!
1 & 2. No if it's booked in her name. Yes if it's booked in your name. Subject to...
3. If it's booked in your name, then perhaps, perhaps not. She has a better chance if you enter her name in the "additional guest" field when booking. However, depending on the hotel and on the check-in agent's mood, she may be correctly informed that HHonors benefits are personal to the member. Said benefits may then be withheld until and unless you stop by the front desk with ID. There is a small chance she might be denied check-in.

In any event you will get the points for spend on your card, and the answers to 1, 2 and 3 are unlikely to depend on whether the room is prepaid or whether any particular card is presented at check-in.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:50 pm

Ok, all that is good to know. Thanks very much for the info.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: VFC, BAEC, ETIHAD, IHG,
Newbie questions !

Hi guys
Im from the UK and travelling to the US in December :-)
I've applied for 2 x Hilton CC for 2 x free night certs.
We have 3 different Hilton reservations to make.

My questions are:
Is there any easy way to reach Gold Status in the UK (in the US its easy via Credit Cards) ?!
I am wondering if transferring my VirginFC miles would do it ? is states 75000 points take you to gold. If this would work, could I then use the 75000 to book hilton nights ? or would I then lose status.
If I obtain gold, would we then get 2 x adult breakfast via gold and the 2 children free ? (the hotel we are staying in offers kids eat free).
Thank for any help you can give me !!^
Old May 11, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transferring points will not give you status. The base points gained from actually staying in hotels are the only points that do that.

If you do manage to get gold somehow, two adults get free continental breakfast per day. Any additions to that are at the discretion of each individual hotel so I would suggest picking up the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.