Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sorrento Palace {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
We were there last week for 2 nights and just loved it.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, everyone spoke English. We were greeted enthusiastically on our arrival by both the bellman and the front desk clerk. We were accompanied to our room by a member of the desk staff, which was a nice touch.

Our room was upgraded to a very large room on the 4th floor. That floor has a common terrace overlooking the bay...the view is spectacular! Each room also has an individual balcony, which feeds out onto the common terrace. The room itself was lovely...plenty of room for the rollaway bed we requested (though I thought they might have dispensed with the 35 euro a night charge for it). The bathroom was pretty spacious by European standards. Robes and slippers were provided. The TV had maybe 10 English speaking channels, far above the norm; there were even a couple channels showing reruns of US sitcoms and old movies, which was refreshing (there's only so much CNN you can watch!).

The rest of the facility was nice...the outdoor pool is huge and has a nice deck area with a bar, and overlooks the bay. The fitness center was ok; we didn't use the indoor pool.

The location is at the top of a hill, but it's easily walkable from the main part of Sorrento. I wouldn't try to walk it with bags (though I saw others doing it) from the train station. We paid 17 euro for a cab, which seemed like a lot for a 10 minute ride, but not much choice. The one warning I'd make is don't make a wrong turn, as we did; while the path to the hotel is well lit and has sidewalks, if you veer off course, you end up on roads that are dark and narrow, with crazy Italian drivers whizzing by. So, pay better attention than we did!

The only odd thing about this hotel is that you can't control the room temperature from your thermostat; you can only turn the the fan on and off. If you want the temperature adjusted, you need to call the front desk. We arrived at the hotel one evening to find a hot and stuffy room; it took 3 calls and 1 visit from maintenance to get it cooler. I assume this was a maintenance issue (he replaced the filter, which fixed the problem) rather than a systemic one; still, I've never encountered a hotel room at which I did not have any control over the temperature.

One other observation I would make about our visit to Sorrento is that getting there wasn't much fun. We took the Circumvesuviana on a Sunday afternoon, with a lot of luggage. It was pretty unpleasant. Naples train station is all it's cracked up to be, and worse; there are stairs to negotiate with bags; and the train itself was like a bad NYC subway--crowded, no AC. It's something like 34 stops from Naples to Sorrento. On the way back, we had the hotel get us a driver, which cost 99 euro, and was money well spent. I would also consider taking the ferry from Naples; we spoke with others who did that and thought it was good.

But...bottom line, Sorrento is just beautiful, and the hotel was fantastic. I'd go back in a heartbeat, and my 20 year old daughter who was with us decided she wanted to honeymoon there. Can't beat that for a recommendation!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Whats the pool water temp like in October? (Is it even open?) Warm enough to relax?
Open, but the water was cold. We used it only for sitting and relaxing! There's an indoor pool, too, but we didn't try it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator Gold, Flying Blue Gold , Hilton HHonours Gold, BA Club Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Discounts in Hilton Sorrento Palace

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice from the collective experience here.

I want to go back to the Sorrento Hilton in early July 2016, staying for 10 - 14 days. The last time I went I got a family room for me, my wife and two children but thanks to the march of time I am now looking at two separate rooms, since we are all adults now (in age only).

That makes the stay a lot more expensive than I would like, but I can't seem to find any of the discussed discount rates (MVP etc) that would be in force here.

Any advice welcome!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Any Diamonds with recent stays?

deleted

Last edited by jzafar; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:15 am

Staying here at the moment. Just made an account because I wanted to say this is one of the best places in Europe I've stayed so far. Very nice facilities and amazing view. As a diamond we got access to the club lounge (executive lounge is separate and also accessible for gold members). All day long wine/champagne available and great snacks. Also very nice and helpfull staff.

Definitely worth visiting, I feel stupid for not staying longer!!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Arco Oliemans
Staying here at the moment. Just made an account because I wanted to say this is one of the best places in Europe I've stayed so far. Very nice facilities and amazing view. As a diamond we got access to the club lounge (executive lounge is separate and also accessible for gold members). All day long wine/champagne available and great snacks. Also very nice and helpfull staff.

Glad you are having a great time - i’ve Just booked for another visit next summer
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD

Can you post a few pics? I have thought about staying there
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Is breakfast only available in the lounge as a Diamond/ Gold? Did they offer you the option of taking breakfast in one of the restaurants?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by tasnam
Can you post a few pics? I have thought about staying there
I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and it was one of my all time favorites. I had to stay in the off season because I can't afford the high season.by chance, I arrived on fat Tuesday or carnival. they were celebrating in the town and had a parade down the main street. kids were all dressed up in costumes. because it was off season, I got upgraded to bay view room with balcony overlooking the bay. spectacular! breakfast was in lounge. good time to visit but a lot of places are closed. still had a great time. took the public bus down the Amalfi coast and the train to Pompeii. ferry to capri but wasn't much going on there. would love to go back.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel offer a complimentary shuttle into town? They used to, but not sure if they do anymore.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the hotel offer a complimentary shuttle into town? They used to, but not sure if they do anymore.
No they do not. It is only a 10 min walk down to town, and up to the hotel can be steep in places, but managable.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:24 pm

Incredible hotel! Stayed here for 4 nights in May during my honeymoon on a combo of free night awards and cash. As a gold member was upgraded to a deluxe bay view room and received executive lounge access. The room was nice with a large balcony. The executive lounge was incredible. It was stocked with water, prosecco, beer and wine all day and offers apps and a large selection of liquor in the evenings. The lounge had beautiful views of the bay of Naples and had it's own pool. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:12 am

Totally Confused...Rome to Sorrent

i've posted on Merged Rome forum first about finding hotel. Perche greatly helped. Then posted re trip to Amalfi coast. So we are 2 older people staying Italy in April for about 1 month. First 6 nights in Rome. We hope to go to Amalfi coast, 5 nights Sorrento use as base for some day trips followed by 2 or 3 nights in Naples to see certain things. So the very big problem that I am finding or creating for us is the way to get from Rome to Sorrento(?) in the least painful way for us. We will certainly have luggage. Buses for 4 hours or so? Web page for buses in italian or train to Napoli and then the transfer to other line in Napoli Station for Sorrento and then getting to hotel in Sorrento. Up and down stairs. Realize I am putting negative on this. I am frustrated in that it just seems hard to be doing this with the luggage involved. The car ftom Naples to Sorrento would be of course great but also just adding that additional $$ to trip. So just seeing if anyone might have a suggestion. Maybe we do not go to Sorrento? If there might be another point to take the train from Rome to somewhere else on coast more straightward? Adding to this is after what I expect to be 7 nights on coast including time in Naples, we will go to florence and Venice, and then back to Rome from which we return home.
This has been a mouthful but thought I could put it out here if anyone has suggestions for less circuitous trip to get to Amalfi/Sorrento from Rome.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
We rented a car which worked out great (in our 60s) and toured all over Italy including Sorrento and Amalfi. In your case, you might consider hiring a car service or shared shuttle (reserve in advance) from train station (or airport) in Naples. Others may have better suggestions. We did enjoy our stay in Sorrento. Amalfi Coast even in April was pretty busy but spectacular-driving there may have been the most "interesting" (not in the most positive sense) part of the trip.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: hilton
Stayed here at Sorrento Palace Aug 2016 - lovely hotel busy during August with usual sun bed reservation issues

Amazing food and very clean rooms - fresh orange juicer in breakfast was great

Parking tight but possible

We paid for parking I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.